daschund issues?

Discussion in 'Woof Memorial Critter's Corner' started by hapuna, Jul 19, 2007.

1. hapuna

hapuna Trusted Member

We recently got a daschund and he is a wonderful puppy with one exception. Just when you think he's getting the house broken thing he goes in the house. Sometimes he does it just after you bring him in from going to the bathroom outside. He seems quite smart so I'm starting to wonder if its intentional? Anyone have any ideas? He just turned 13 weeks.

2. Petra

Petra

I've got 3 Dachshunds. Love them to death but they can be quite stuborn at times. He may not have quite gotten the hang of this going outside stuff.

When you are out there, do you play with him? Does he spend most of his time sniffing around? When you take him out to go potty, he needs to understand that that time is for getting business done and not for playing. Do not play with him until he does what he's supposed to. Keep reminding him "go potty." (Or whatever phrase you use.) Once he's done, then praise him and play with him. At 13 weeks, he is old enough to understand what's expected. He may not be physically able to hold it for long periods so make sure to take him out often.

Good luck. Dachshunds are great dogs who love nothing more than being with their people. He's going to be a great friend.

3. SouthernGal

SouthernGal What's Up Dox?

13 weeks? You're setting the bar pretty high there.

I've been raised around nothing but dachshunds for my 36 years on the planet. I can't name a single person who's ever said they were easy to housebreak. Many of the dachshunds turned into rescue organizations have been beaten senseless by their owners because their owners lacked the ability to housebreak them. A girl I work with has two "rescues" who both bear scars from their previous owners for this very reason.

What has worked on the 4 dachshunds we housebroke over the years is to take them out on a schedule at first, and when they do what they should, praise them loudly. I've seen my father do it to the point he looked ridiculous. Then, he takes them inside for a snack. They get to the point that they'll run outside, do their business as quickly as possible, just to get the snack.

There are several of us here on the boards with dachshunds. They are a great breed to own, but they do have their own share of "quirks" and can be a challenge. SRD is 12 years old and is the joy of my life. I can't imagine what my life would be like without her.