Darwin Award Triple Play

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by BigBluefish, Jul 13, 2020.

1. sourdough44

sourdough44

It can be as simple as, ‘they don’t know what they don’t know’, some if it being very important.

There is also the thought that, ‘it won’t happen to me’, or invincibility.

Most of us have done stuff as a kid that could of easily ended up sideways. I’m use to being considered the old fuddy-dud for mentioning potential consequences of certain actions. One deals with probabilities, there may be that 5% chance of a serious crash, is it worth it? Some think, it’s a 95% chance I’ll be just fine. With those odds, eventually your number will be up.

Caver 60 likes this.
  2. snerd

snerd Horselover Fat

I've never done donuts at 60mph. Just. Damn. Condolences to the survivors.

3. Wasatch

Wasatch back again

Long story short, I don't worry about the 16-yo. It's the almost-13-yo who's going to want a muscle car, or worse.

My default choice is an "old but clean" Camry, due to its reputation for having low maintenance costs. But having an old (early 2000s) Chevy/GMC with the 5.3L engine would be a decent alternative. I'm considering composing a new thread regarding older-ish trucks, actually.

But for the sake of this thread, I'm weighing the value of safety found in a teenager driving a large GM truck/SUV against the value of the low operating costs of a Camry.

4. DAKA

DAKA

Skis, ... Ice racing in cars...knife throwing.... climbing all kinds of "structures" jumping off things... omg I can't even think how much insane "s**t we did as teens...

jimcorbin and PBCounty like this.
  5. berto62

berto62

Florida boys say hold my beer and watch this. From a few years ago ,who lets their 19 year old kid drive a M5 BMW ?

Florida Highway Patrol Capt. Jeff Succi said there were yaw, or sideways, skid marks at the end of the runway, indicating the car turned sideways before launching over an embankment. It then sailed through the air about 200 feet before slamming into a large tree and bursting into flames.
    Troopers believe the car traveled over the 80- to 85-foot high embankment at the end of the airstrip and struck the tree about 15 feet above the ground. The car broke into two pieces upon impact

https://www.ocala.com/article/LK/20080127/News/604231639/OS

Caver 60 likes this.
  6. Dynactus

Dynactus

Kids. What are you gonna do? Terribly sad.

jimcorbin likes this.
  7. ked

ked

Yup. Growing up has it’s hazards!

Lots of heartbreak going on today

PBCounty likes this.
  8. StarvinMarvin

StarvinMarvin

Two FWD cars doing "donuts" ? Doubtful.

They were engaged in some type of very high speed reckless behavior. I really feel bad for the families, the youngest was only 11.

Caver 60 likes this.
  9. Caver 60

Caver 60

The old 'Their but for the grace of God go I'. I've had a few close calls, but the worse wreck I was ever in was only a fender bender.

Kid in my high school class went through a stop sign at 70 MPH in second gear. 'T'-boned a woman's car and killed her. Last I heard, he was still alive and a successful business man in my hometown.

Kids in my high school class would say: 'If my old man had a garage like your dads, I'd have the fastest car in this town.' I never did anything like that. We were poor and didn't have money to waste 'souping up' vehicles, or laying rubber on the street, or paying traffic fines.

My first car was a 1946 DeSoto 'slush bucket tank' with a flathead 6 cylinder engine. You had to be going downhill with a tailwind to get 75 MPH out of it.

10. mmurph12

mmurph12

Just a thought - When our son’s boys got to be about that age, he insisted in a standard pickup, not an extended cab, for their first vehicle. His idea was size matters and so does the number buddies riding along. The larger the number, the more peer pressure is likely to surface and the higher the chance of a bad outcome. Just something to think about.

larry_minn and Ordell Robbie like this.
  11. cougar_ml

cougar_ml

My aunt was telling me about their neighbor down the street. Every member of the family had a corvette. The 14 year old girl had already totaled hers.

berto62 likes this.
  12. Ordell Robbie

Ordell Robbie Giant Member

Damn near every spring we get a car load of teenagers wiping out around here, they fly over hills or hit drop offs at a high rate of speed and lose control. If there's a survivor it usually seems to be the driver. It's been going on as long as I can remember and my buddies and I flew off of them and over them at that age as well...

Caver 60 likes this.
  13. racerford

racerford

I never did anything stupid as teen that got me killed.

I did quite a few things that might have gotten me killed if I had been drunk. Fortunately, I did not drink, nor did the guys I ran with drink. Being sober, can help you avoid going from merely reckless to completely, stupidly and deadly reckless.

14. Wasatch

Wasatch back again

I've considered that, but the impracticality of a 2-seater or one bench seat outweighs the other factors, in my view.

Also, it invites the idea of people riding in the truck bed out of "desperation" or just for kicks, which is far worse.

Exhibit A:
    I rode in an old recliner in the bed of my buddy's little 2WD pickup truck (same cab configuration that you're talking about) on a very dangerous highway for about a 20- to 30-mile roundtrip on my high-school graduation day. Luckily it wasn't my time to die. And I did it because I needed to pick up my cap and gown, and there were 3 of us total. No room for me in the cab.

Anyway, if stupid stuff happens -- or even an incident in which my boy isn't at fault -- I want everyone belted in.

Suddenly a Yukon/Tahoe sounds a lot better.....

Last edited: Jul 15, 2020
  15. Dave514

Dave514

Having seen front wheel drive donuts...I might buy the damage. You're basically swinging car engines at each other.

16. sixgun2

sixgun2 packin heat

I remember like yesterday doing the same.

PBCounty likes this.
  17. Haldor

Haldor Formerly retired EE.

I managed to not sideswipe that cop. Barely.

18. mdlott

mdlott

How the hell did we survive our teens and early 20's? Nitrous fed hot rods, motocross and other risky activities could certainly hasten one's demise.

I had a hell of a lot of fun, but I know now that I've probably used many of my 9 lives.