GlockTalk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3,203 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
As most of you know we have moved everything out of my wife's house into my house and shed.

My wife was almost in tears because it looked like we were not going to be able to move her old, childhood piano out of her house into mine. We all took turns attempting to pick up a side of that spinet piano but we were unable to move it. The house was full of old tools that I had no need for. My friend a farmer who lives across the valley from me showed up at my wife's house with his strong young son, his wife and his wife's girl friend. They were there because I told them they could have could have anything they wanted out of the house that they wanted and could carry, including a car but we had lost the keys to the car.

The farmer family found the keys under a bed, jumped the car got it started and drove it to their barn. Along with a lot of tools. They day before, the son and his friend helped me move furniture to my new shed. The son refused payment but I insisted and gave them each $200.

Today I dropped in to thank them for all the help. I mentioned how brokenhearted my wife was over not being able to keep her childhood piano. The farmer's son said, "Darn, had I known the piano meant that much to her I would have moved it for her. I said, "We all tried to move it but none of us were strong enough." He replied, "Yes, but I have some bigger friends who are a lot stronger!" His father chimed in that that it could be rolled on pipes. They told me not to promise or tell my wife but they are going to go her house tomorrow morning and move the piano for her. They will pick more tools while they are there.

Tomorrow while we are closing on the house at our house the farmer's will be at her house moving the piano out of it. If this happens, my wife will be one happy lady!

·
ZekerMan
2,049 Posts
Sounds like everyone will be happy tomorrow...As long as you don't run into a raccoons along the way!!:devildance:

·
Registered
5,228 Posts
Dave,i think you’d be a fine neighbor yourself. Your posts are pleasant and you’re generous with others. I hope they can move your wife’s piano for her.

·
Registered
953 Posts
Ever try moving a Concert Grand Piano?
Friend of mine had one, his Daughter needed it as she's a Concert Pianist.
I called some of my friends and a deal was struck with them, 8 people showed up with a flatbed truck.
Piano got carried out, loaded up and went across town and installed in a new house, cost my friend 3 cases Heineken beer, 8 steaks, and a bottle of Tequila.

Everybody was happy at the end!

oceanwarrior

·
Registered
3,203 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Ever try moving a Concert Grand Piano?

oceanwarrior
Yes, earlier this year I bought my wife a Full Grand Piano (Not a Concert Grand) but big. Two pro piano movers moved it but was a struggle.
pianobarb.jpg

·
Registered
3,203 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
How about some pics when you get it home?
I'll do that if this works out. It well be dwarfed by the Grand Piano in the same room. Sometimes logic must make way for the heart. She told that when she was a child she prayed for a piano. Her father died when she was very young, a neighbor felt sorry for her and gave her the piano that they were not using. There are a lot of emotions tied up into this piano. She thought it was a gift from her father up in heaven. It was a prayer answered. It was a different, more gentle, and better time back around 1949. Neighbors were family. I'm thankful that I found a small island of people who still care for and love their neighbors.

·
Registered
3,203 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
We just closed on the sale of the house. I called my farmer buddy and he is bringing the piano to our house. My wife does not know it yet. She will in a few minutes when he shows up with the piano.

More later.:exercise:

·
Registered
10,506 Posts
We like to help each other around here. About three weeks ago a neighbor approached me to cut down some tall weeds and small saplings on a small part of his property.

I all ready had the brush cutter installed on my tractor, since I had been doing the same thing on my property. So I just drove on over and cut it. Took a little over an hour. He wanted to pay me, but I said no. I'll need a favor sometime, and get even. He's going to help me with a small project in my barn later this week.

·
Registered
3,203 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Here it is:

spinet Piano.jpg

Yes, my wife is happy. She closed on her house today. I hope I never need to there again.

You would not believe how heavy it is! It needs to be dusted and polished. The wood grain is beautiful.

·
Sarcasm Inc.
15,065 Posts
I am to old to move piano's any more, did a few back in the day by pure muscle with a friend

·
This used to be AMERICA........
1,473 Posts
My mom has a piano very similar to that one, a Steinway, which she is trying to give away.
No takers, and its gotta go sometime...........

·
Registered
3,203 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
My mom has a piano very similar to that one, a Steinway, which she is trying to give away.
No takers, and its gotta go sometime...........
I did not know that Steinway made Spinet type pianos. You would think the name alone would garner interest in it.

I tryed very hard to convince my wife that it was not worth moving. She was determined to keep it. The two uppermost keys stick on my wife's spinet piano. I know a piano turner who will come to the house to tune and repair pianos. It still sounds remarkably good.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts