close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Darkroom Chemicals

Discussion in 'Through-the-Lens Club' started by MrsKitty, Dec 20, 2006.

1. MrsKitty

MrsKitty

OK, what do I need? I want to process b/w only (for now) and I will be doing prints, hopefully.

Film developer
    Stop bath
    Fixer
    the thing that prevents water spots

paper developer

What else? It seems like every where I look I get a different list. I am so confused!

I need a couple of the canisters for film too. I have two metal ones but I can't get one open. I don't want to risk that happening while I have film in a chemical! Plus the cans I have are the ones you have to open to fill and drain. I have seen ones you don't have to open. It seems to me like the ones you don't have to open would be safer?

Other than that, a bag to stop light for transferring film into the canister, paper and chemicals, I think I have everything.

2. DTQ

DTQ c8h10n4o2 me

3. Fred

Fred Lifetime Member Millennium Member

It's been so long for me, it's hard to remember. Couple things come to mind - an accurate thermometer and timer.

4. MrsKitty

MrsKitty

Yep. I don't know if I have a thermometer in my stuff but I have a digital one with two sensors so I have that covered.

I have a huge timer. I need to make sure it works.

5. MrsKitty

MrsKitty

I will track it down.

I think a friend has it... I remember somebody offering to loan it to me but I make it a policy to not borrow books because I am awful about returning them :couch:

6. Hokie

Hokie NRA Member

don't forget good ventilation

them chemicals smell

7. UtahIrishman

UtahIrishman BLR Silver Member

I love the smell of darkroom chemicals...:supergrin:

misskitty you'll need a squeegee for the prints. and for your timer a foot operated one that synches with the enlarger is best, though any kind of timer will do.

If you can visit someone who has a dark room or take a class. You'll learn a lot of tricks of darkroom printing that way much faster and easier, such as dodging, etc.

I miss my darkroom.

8. MrsKitty

MrsKitty

I have a "roller" type squeegee. It had little ridges in it and is very heavy.

I have some kind of big machine that I can't figure out. I am not sure what it is but it may be a drum dryer? It has fabric that wraps around it and it is like a big roll. I will drag it out of storage and take a pic of it when I can. All my stuff is in a building in storage and it is hard to get to it.

9. DTQ

DTQ c8h10n4o2 me

Thats a dryer, originally used for fiber based paper. laying glossy paper face down results in a high gloss finnish. With the old papers there was a simple but important technique to master before trying it with "finished" prints. It involves an absolutely even contact between the dryer and the entire surface of the print, in-order to avoid water spots and uneven gloss; I'm not sure how sensitive the new papers are to uneven glossing and spotting, or if this is still necessary or will yield superior results to other methods of drying.

10. nipperwolf

nipperwolf

I used to use Ilford RC paper(resin coated), so I didn't have to mess with a dryer. :supergrin:

11. MrsKitty

MrsKitty

I can still buy that and it isn't too pricey compared to some others. Did you like it?

12. nipperwolf

nipperwolf

Yes. I used RC paper only. pretty much hassle free. no dryers, no wrinkles.....

still looking for a film canister and film changing bag?

13. MrsKitty

MrsKitty

Yup. I went Christmas shopping for OTHERS yesterday and didn't get any further on my list :supergrin:

14. nipperwolf

nipperwolf

I had a changing bag, and a nice, plastic, 3-roll canister. I was thinking about taking them to the camera shop to put in the consignment bin to see if I could get a few bucks out of them.

I've found the bag, but haven't found the canister yet.:sad:

I'll let you know if I find the canister.

15. MrsKitty

MrsKitty

It is a really good thing that the closest camera shop to me is Ritz and it is an hour away...

Really, really, really good for me... :supergrin:

Let me know what you find!