Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
31,978 Posts
How did you determine there is no cant to the FSB? Just visually? Let us know how much windage your sights need after you zero it. I'm just curious because my PSA upper needs quite a bit of windage yet visually the FSB doesn't look off at all.

·
Premium Member
42,163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
How did you determine there is no cant to the FSB? Just visually? Let us know how much windage your sights need after you zero it. I'm just curious because my PSA upper needs quite a bit of windage yet visually the FSB doesn't look off at all.
I used a new KAC rear sight, along with a AimPoint that is zero'ed on another rifle. The rear sight, while centered, was perfectly aligned with the AimPoint. I then used an "in chamber" laser bore sight. Dead on for windage, elevation was off due to the distance and sight to bore offset.

**I will admit, there is not way to tell for sure until it is sighted in. But I am almost sure it is aligned as well and any other carbine I have owned. Colt, Bushmaster, BCM, Armalite.........

·
Registered
3,974 Posts
As critical as you’ve been of PSA, I’m surprised you went this route. My limited experience with them has been very positive. Good luck.

·
Premium Member
42,163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
As critical as you’ve been of PSA, I’m surprised you went this route. My limited experience with them has been very positive. Good luck.
I knew I would hear that. So, I rolled the dice, bought a PSA, and now I'm having to eat crow.

I do believe, if you have cared to follow any of my posts, I admit when I am wrong. In this case, I shelled out some cash to make a point.

The point is, if this PSA shoots as well as it looks thus far, it can be an acceptable light use carbine.

·
Registered
3,175 Posts
I look forward to your range report.

·
Banned
16,850 Posts
I knew I would hear that. So, I rolled the dice, bought a PSA, and now I'm having to eat crow.

I do believe, if you have cared to follow any of my posts, I admit when I am wrong. In this case, I shelled out some cash to make a point.

The point is, if this PSA shoots as well as it looks thus far, it can be an acceptable light use carbine.
Glad to see you are happy with your purchase.

Why only "light use"? Do you suspect a something that would prohibit "heavy use"?

·
Premium Member
42,163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It has not proven it's self yet.......can not count on it, until I can trust it.

·
Huge Member
11,502 Posts
And I bet the price was right! One of the guys I teach rifle marksmanship with just bought a PSA Premium kit and installed it on a PSA blemished lower. We sighted it in before a class a couple weeks ago and it ran perfectly and looked real good. I am really, really tempted to pick up a another upper from PSA to complete a lower I have kicking around. If I didn't already have 5 or 6 ARs already I would have jumped on it now.

·
Registered
3,906 Posts
Props for taking the time to review this for yourself and posting the results. Even though it contradicts your previous basis.

PSA makes a fine AR for MOST users. It wouldn't be my first choice if my life depended on it, but I am confident it wouldn't let me down if I did have to depend on it.

I have a PSA middy with a 13 inch free float rail and Magpul MOE furniture for under $700

My BCM mid Mod 0 with FSB was over $1,100. That is a huge difference.

·
Urban *******
2,362 Posts
Nice to see another favorable PSA review. My buddies around here (military) and I agree that PSA makes some very good guns at very good prices. Really a steal.

Cheers...

·
Registered
629 Posts
The point is, if this PSA shoots as well as it looks thus far, it will be an acceptable carbine.

Hopefully you'll come to see that those PSA "premium" BCG'S are as good as any other mil-spec BCG out there.- Colt, Spikes or BCM.

·
Premium Member
42,163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Well, I could not leave well enough alone. Installed a DD Omega X FSP 12.0 rail assy.

Discovered a few things.
-PSA used taper pins
-PSA parked under the front sight base.
-PSA did NOT use a molybdenum compound on the receiver threads. There was evidence of galling from the nut on the receiver.
-PSA did tighten the nut properly, it broke at 62 ftlbs.
-The PSA upper receiver is stamped "M4" in the same location as Colt receivers.

**More pics tomorrow

·
Registered
6,536 Posts
The MIM gas keys, wrong screws and sub par staking was not on the PSA branded BCGs it was the cheaper ones they got in and sold several months ago during the panic. So not surprised the BCG you got is good to go.

·
Premium Member
42,163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Dkf,

Very correct, they vendor supplied parts, not what PSA considered to be their brand parts. The staking on this key looks better than many Bushmaster, RRA, & Armalite carbines in the past.

·
AAAMAD
32,653 Posts
I've got one sort of like yours, but with the 14.5 inch tube, DD Omega, and KNS pins, and an IMOD stock.

Pretty decent little rifle.

·
Who?
7,957 Posts
Well, I could not leave well enough alone. Installed a DD Omega X FSP 12.0 rail assy.

Discovered a few things.
-PSA used taper pins
-PSA parked under the front sight base.
-PSA did NOT use a molybdenum compound on the receiver threads. There was evidence of galling from the nut on the receiver.
-PSA did tighten the nut properly, it broke at 62 ftlbs.
-The PSA upper receiver is stamped "M4" in the same location as Colt receivers.

**More pics tomorrow
The threads on my PSA upper appeared to have been greased with motor oil. When I pulled it apart to fix the canted FSB, I fixed that problem.

Hopefully yours gives you accuracy in line with what my PSA upper does NOW (<1.25MOA with good ammo) and not what it did when I first got it (>=4MOA with good ammo).

·
Registered
3,974 Posts
Understood.
I look forward to a more detailed report.:thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
42,163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
The threads on my PSA upper appeared to have been greased with motor oil. When I pulled it apart to fix the canted FSB, I fixed that problem.
When I reassembled, I used to proper molyb' compound, step torqued to 60.

Hopefully yours gives you accuracy in line with what my PSA upper does NOW (<1.25MOA with good ammo) and not what it did when I first got it (>=4MOA with good ammo).
Would expect that kind of accuracy, doubt it is possible with the current trigger. I do have an LMT two stage that may find it's way in at a later date.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts