close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Dapper is out!!

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by kenny31, Jun 1, 2006.

1. kenny31

kenny31 Fonzi

And it's a pretty sweet release. I've been running dapper since early alpha and the stability throughout the whole process was amazing. I can only remember one time that an update cracked X, but was fixed the next morning. I'm impressed.

Here's a screen shot.

2. Washington D.C.

Washington D.C.

I see now the live CD has an installer.Some PC's don't work with the live CD or the installer it has,so there still have the standard install CD with the old text istaller too.

3. kenny31

kenny31 Fonzi

Yeah, from the forums - I see that the GUI installer has been borking partition tables. No thanks! I'll stick with my alternate disk for a long time. I serously think that if it killed my data fat32 partition, I would cry.

4. Getwild2

Getwild2 Mac Aficionado

WOO HOO, lets make this the ultimate Dapper Drake 6.06 "Show your desktop" thread. NO MSFT ALLOWED!! :supergrin:

[​IMG]

5. kenny31

kenny31 Fonzi

What program are you running dapper in? Looks like a virtualization?

Did anyone have troubles installing it? ubuntuforums.org has basically turned into a dapper bashfest. I, for one, can't wait until the edgy repos are opened. I'll install it the first day I can get an image.

6. Getwild2

Getwild2 Mac Aficionado

I'm using FreeNX over SSH, connecting from work. FreeNX server on Dapper, FreeNX client on Windoze XP Pro. It's uber fast and secure, I love it as I work in support and usually have 6-7 hours a day to play (depending on how slow it is).

As far as the install, it went flawlessly. Believe it or not (it was a ballsy move) but I upgraded remotely through FreeNX. I was kind-of nervous about trying something so intensive remotely but luckily everything went fine. Post install everything was great after I ran apt-get update. Seemed like nothing worked until I did that, although I didnt read any documentation so maybe that was a required action. I'm also a Linux noob so that doesnt help.

The only thing I dont like is when the entire screen changes when you enter a program as root. At least through FreeNX the screen goes dim/grey and the root password prompt displays. That seems useless to me. Why not just give me the password prompt without all of the frills?! It's a minor complaint, no biggie.

Other than that, I love it. Seems to run real strong and smooth. I don't know why people are bashing it so much on ubuntuforums.org, I dont seem to have issue with it so far but then again I'm also ready for Edgy! :supergrin: