Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Anti-Federalist
21,410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
To date I've got a pair of RATS, a pair of desert Acadia's a pair of Mountain Hiker 2's and the latest addition are a pair of black Acadia's.

Hands down the most comfortable have been the RATS, unfortunately it appears they now only sell them with the EGA on the heel. No matter how comfortable they may be I'm not a crayon eater so I just can't.

The desert Acadia's live in the vehicle as backup, the primary issue with them is the right toe mid sole is starting to separate. These would have landed in second place but naturally Danner doesn't make the desert color anymore so black it is.

Re-crafting through Danner is pretty lame. I've had the RATS re-crafted twice now, to the tune of about $220 a trip. I only get a year of everyday wear out the soft Vibram soles and there's always more than just the sole that needs replaced. Most times the Gortex has a worn spot and the heel counter is always broken but the main reason for a new pair is that my feet have flattened out and I've gone up a full size.

So time for new boots. Danner recommends going down a half size however I do not. True to my sneaker size leaves me with just enough room in the toe-box and the rather narrow last works for me. Amazon just dropped them off.

They're expensive. I wish I could have got them in brown or sand but the new kicks are comfy :) Any other fans?

blackacadia.jpg

·
Registered
27,074 Posts
What kind of work do you do?

·
Texas Born & Bred
3,575 Posts
I like Danners and have a pair of Pronghorns(?) that are my winter boot when the white stuff is on the ground or its cold (20 degrees or colder). But I have really begun to like Merrell boots a little more. I had a pair of Ft Lewis boots that really lasted a long time and polished up nice.

·
Anti-Federalist
21,410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I like Danners and have a pair of Pronghorns(?) that are my winter boot when the white stuff is on the ground or its cold (20 degrees or colder). But I have really begun to like Merrell boots a little more. I had a pair of Ft Lewis boots that really lasted a long time and polished up nice.

I like the low quarter Moabs for after work wear.

·
Registered
27,074 Posts

·
Texas Born & Bred
3,575 Posts
I like the low quarter Moabs for after work wear.
Moab is the model Merrells I wear also. Unfortunately, I can't wear the low quarters anymore due to my ankles turning too easily. But the 6 inch works just fine. I have a pair of black 6 inch Moabs, 8 inch deserts, and just got a pair of the Ontario model to try. Also got a pair of black leather Merrell 6 inch for riding on the bike.

·
Anti-Federalist
21,410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I can see your need for quality boots. I think the Navy issues Danners and Bellevil boots to sailors on aircraft carriers.

They've got a whole military line with branch acceptable color schemes. Sure beats the hell out of the old 'cruit boots I was issued in 91.

·
Registered
13,221 Posts
I learned the hard way. ALWAYS buy quality shoes. NEVER go cheap on what you put on your feet.
I have always had bad feet and most of my life, steel toed boots were a requirement at my workplace.
I have tried more brands and styles and grades of boots than you could possibly imagine.
From the cheapest crap to very expensive. Almost all of them had my feet destroyed by the end of a day, sometimes so bad the my socks were bloody.

I ended up settling for a mid range Wolverine boot, that even today is the only boot that I can wear for any length of time, and no, they were not steel toed, but I got the safety manger to look the other way.
At one point he looked at a new pair of boots I was wearing and said, "Those are steel toe, aren't they?" I told him "I'll answer that when you explain to my why my toes are more important than the rest of my foot."
I really am glad that he liked me and had a sense of humor.

·
Registered
2,310 Posts
My last issued boots at the PD that I worked at were Danners, LOVED THEM. I own a pair now that I use during inclement weather. I'm a fan.

·
Anti-Federalist
21,410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I’m a Danner guy as well.
Have not owned a pair like yours however.
I walk the mutt’s 2-4 miles a day and am very lucky if I get a year out of a pair.
I hope I can get a couple years at least.

Reactions: Rotn1

·
Registered
15,043 Posts
I wore Danner Strykers for years. Then they moved production to China and cheapened the materials.

Now they aren’t as comfortable, don’t polish to a high muster, and don’t last as long.

I haven’t found a boot that I like as much, but I don’t buy the new ones.

·
Anti-Federalist
21,410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I wore Danner Strykers for years. Then they moved production to China and cheapened the materials.

Now they aren’t as comfortable, don’t polish to a high muster, and don’t last as long.

I haven’t found a boot that I like as much, but I don’t buy the new ones.

I only buy their US made boots and only the stitch down styles that can be resoled.

·
Banned
600 Posts
I'm still wearing my Hood full leather 600 insulate boots for walking /hunting since 1997. Starting to fall apart now and will get another pair this fall. I prolly walk 300 miles a year at least on them. The Pronghorns are garbage as they blew apart after only 1.5 years but only warranted them for 1 year.

·
First throwing ax bullseye.
2,517 Posts
I learned the hard way. ALWAYS buy quality shoes. NEVER go cheap on what you put on your feet.
I've learned this lesson myself. I had a pair of Danner boots that lasted for 28 years. Many of those were daily wear. I had some trouble with severe plantar fasciitis and the Danner boots were the only thing I could wear that helped. My soon to be ex-mother in law has not learned this lesson at 75 years old. She is literally a millionaire but insists on wearing cheap shoes. Too many years of struggling before her husband made it big have not been forgotten. She just cannot bring herself to spend money on shoes. And her feet are in really bad shape because of it.

·
Registered
918 Posts
For serious hiking I only wear scarpa-fabiano. I would buy danner if they were still the same quality as 30 years ago but I think I remember them being Asian mass produced now. Not hand stitched anymore.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts