Danika Patrick

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by JLB768, Feb 13, 2010.

1. norton

norton

Milk and donuts couldn't drive her way out of a wet paper bag.

2. NorthCarolinaLiberty

NorthCarolinaLiberty MentalDefective

I totally agree. On the other hand, this situation is better than watching Johnny Sauter.

3. NorthCarolinaLiberty

NorthCarolinaLiberty MentalDefective

Here you go:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. Bruce H

Bruce H

It would really be nice to go back to the days of no radios and spotters or any of the other BS. Drivers just might pay more attention if they were totally responsible. How much time was lost waiting for a spotter to say something than reacting immediatley. At speed you don't have all day to decide what to do.

5. Spiffums

Spiffums I.C.P.

Till someone gets killed. Which is what I think they want anyhow in a morbid way. They got alot more fans with Dale died in a crash.

6. zoyter2

zoyter2 Yeah, so what?

No, according to NASCAR themselves, the economy has little to do with attendance. It has been bad before, and still sold out for a couple of years.

7. kirgi08

kirgi08 Watcher. Silver Member

Damn Bruno.'08. :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

8. Bullman

Bullman Deranged Deputy

Women drivers.... no survivors

It had to be said :supergrin:

9. kirgi08

kirgi08 Watcher. Silver Member

I hope your .5 don't read this thread,my friend.'08. :whistling:

10. kestrou

kestrou Pin Member #4

Thumbs up for the post above!

If only Cale Yarborough would come back and show these pretenders what racing is all about!!! :shocked:

kestrou

11. JohnH

JohnH Millennium Member

Amen to that! Yarborough and the like did some amazing things with boxy, un-aerodynamic cars, old tire technology and unrestricted engines. No comparison with the racing today.

12. beforeobamabans

beforeobamabans FYPM

The Speed Channel announcer on the Daytona 500 pre-game show just called Daytona "Daytonica". :faint:

13. WarCry

WarCry

A few years back, all the TV broadcasts could talk about was Juan Montonya, making an "epic" change to NASCAR. They did the same thing they did yesterday...

"So-and-so's up front, here's the rest of the top five, and in 37th is Juan Pablo Montoya, getting an introduction to NASCAR!"

It's a big deal, whether you like it or not. I heard on the broadcast yesterday that the stands were more filled than for the same Nationwide race last year. That's what it's about for NASCAR, putting butts in seats. Doesn't matter if that's because they got Danica Patrick or Burt Reynolds in a chicken suit.

Patrick didn't fare so well in the race yesterday, but the series reigning champ, Jimmie Johnson, wrecked his car in practice! Does that make him less of a driver, too? That's NASCAR racing. Sometimes schtuff happens that you've got no control over. That's what happened yesterday. Could a more experienced driver have gotten around the wreck? Maybe, maybe not. But don't forget, she IS still a rookie in the series. Ad if you think it's a "women can't drive thing", I suggest you go take a look at the record of, say, Steve Wallace.

I'm still on the fence about how Patrick will end up doing overall in NASCAR, but I'm certainly not ready to judge after one race, and one wreck that she didn't cause.

14. norton

norton

Except every year some driver would get killed. And races were won by drivers laps ahead of 2nd place.

15. u4ea

u4ea

I think Danica is actually a bit relieved to have crashed. This way she can still talk about how she had a car good enough for 15th place, since it's over with. Had she finished the race in 38th place and 4 laps down, she would be humiliated. She may have torn up her car, but at least she left with her pride.

16. norton

norton

One of Nascars smallest tracks-Martinsville-seats 90k+. Nascar runs 36 races a year. Attendance is down, but most sports wish they could fill as many seats per year as Nascar does. And to say the economy has nothing to do with it is wishful thinking.

Oh, and good news.
    To the restrictor plate haters out there, after today there are only 3 more on the schedule. And 32, count them 32 races in Sprint Cup with no restrictor plates in sight.

17. u4ea

u4ea

Besides Talladega, Daytona, Texas, Atlanta and the short tracks like Martinsville, Bristol and Richmond, Nascar has become so boring and stale. I used to live for it and now I am lucky to even watch for an hour without getting bored. Nascar used to be made up of 43 guys just like Tony Stewart and Kevin Harvick who were loud and abrasive. Now it's nothing but polite pretty white guys like Gordon and Johnson. It's brought a lot of women to the sport but drained some of the excitement and history.

18. WarCry

WarCry

I think this was bound to happen, though. The originals were the outlaws the guys who'd started running 'shine and putting there cars against each other. Then you had the second generation, the guys who'd watched them, grew up around them (the "sons" if you will). And then the third generation, the last (in my opinion) with direct experience - Dale Senior, Harry Gant, Rusty Wallace, Darryl Waltrip - the guys who saw their granddads start it, they're dads continue it.

Now you've got the guys who don't really have that connection. A few are out there - Dale Jr, for example - but for the most part, these are guys that come in with a much higher sense of business. Ryan Newman, a college-graduate engineer. Jeff Gordon, Jimmie Johnson and Jamie McMurray, who came up through things like go-carts, not dirt-track Saturday nights. Tony Stewart coming from open-wheel sports. Just look at the "Prelude to the Dream" that Tony Stewart runs each year: NASCAR stars in late-model modifieds, talking about the "fun" and "novelty" of doing something different.

It was bound to happen that when the drivers stopped coming from the same background, the sport would change. I don't know if there's any way to take it back to the roots, though.