Dangerous situation

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Doc Holliday, Oct 23, 2020.

1. Geeorge

Geeorge Sarcasm Inc.

The normal rating on the tire is for one that is warmed up to driving temp, so the outside temperature doesn't affect the reading as in one day you check and it is 30 degrees and the next time you check it is in the 70 degree range outside

2. Lt. Donn

Lt. Donn PSO Survivor. currently in NW Georgia

Sadly...yes I do...big sigh...

3. OUSooner

OUSooner

The BMW didn't come with a spare tire so it has run flats. Kind of like the piece of mind in case of a blowout.

4. Rotn1

Rotn1

Once again, GT delivers expertise.
    Thanks

LinuxLover likes this.
  5. larry_minn

larry_minn Silver Member Millennium Member

The driver matters if you have a catastrophic tire failure. If you panic, nail brakes, close eyes and scream. We’ll be glad for antilock brakes, airbags, cell phones, air ambulances...
    If you hold wheel, let it slow as you slowly angle it out of traffic. It’s not a big deal. Tires seldom explosively decompress without lots of warning nowadays.
    I’m always evaluating the ditch. Used it not two weeks ago. Semi ran a stop sign,I thought I was fine on shoulder. But he wasn’t able to hold the lane so I went in ditch. Not steep, had been hayed. No damage. Have done it twice with blowouts. Rather then fight it, possible roll. Let it drift into ditch, then find good repair spot.

6. Kevinr20

Kevinr20

Can anyone tell me what's wrong? Is 3psi too low? Happened today...

20201028_191835.jpg 20201028_170313.jpg

ZekerMan, ThatGuyYouKnow and Inyo Tim like this.
  7. Lowcountry_Glocker

Lowcountry_Glocker

dang!!!! interstate, or local road? was on GOOD OL I-95 today, my word I am once again reminded how much I despise the freaking interstate. on way home I had an 18 wheeler up my tail and we were rolling 80 (70mph zone). I alternated between being annoyed, amazed that I am never BEHIND said truckers, and also furious at his reckless driving, constantly changing lanes, etc. when safe to do so (thick line of traffic, 2 lanes) I got over and let him rock on.

8. Kevinr20

Kevinr20

surface street. Someone must have lost some strips of nails off their truck.

9. Lowcountry_Glocker

Lowcountry_Glocker

sorry about your luck. hope it didn't cost too much. I figure 250 ish?

10. Budqweiser

Budqweiser

Too long. Did you say that you don’t like Michelin tires? If found that them and Cooper have been really good. Thumbs down on Firestone.

11. Budqweiser

Budqweiser

LOL I had a total brake failure on a highway off ramp years back. Master cylinder failure. Same car had a bad blowout at a different time. Was a 63 Belvedere. I decided maybe modern cars would be a good idea for daily drivers.
    The off ramp I had the brake failure on was right next to a Chrysler factory, so I had plenty of people willing to help. My buddy and me were outside dragging our feet to stop it. Here. Made the turn and finally stopped in front of the plant. Caught a ride to White Castle and made the best of it.

12. Kevinr20

Kevinr20

I put the spare on and I'll take the damaged one to the shop tomorrow. My particular tire is discontinued now but the supposed new and improved replacement for it is $200 plus install so it'll probably be about $230ish.

13. railfancwb

railfancwb

Thought tire replacements should be by the pair on one end or the other.

14. Budqweiser

Budqweiser

I always replace them all at the same time. I try to rotate but am forgetful and don’t do it on schedule. I drive AWD vehicles. Those saying not to rotate are wrong if all same size.

15. LinuxLover

LinuxLover Ba-nan-nah-nuh

Yeah .... Firestone are questionable, but towing for Triple-A, I scraped not just a few single car/death accidents in center dividers, off 300 foot drop offs, sideswiped into 18 wheelers, etc., and almost 100% of them had Michelin tires in them.

When I worked as a fleet mechanic at Laura Scudders, they were in the process of going radial at that same time.
    They had a lot of times bought radials through the comptroller and she didn't know dog poop from Shinola. it was a cost-deal to her, nevermind the drivers opinions.

Every time they lost a load on the highway, they were blaming the semi drivers of falling asleep or over steering . .. but the drivers all told me it was the Michelin and Pirelli radials that were failing on the front axles ... that's almost always fatal with twin 28 foot wigglers and 80,000 lbs of peanut butter cargo over converter gear ....
    Converter-SIDE-VIEW.jpg

These tires scared the drivers so much, the had heated arguments in the break room over whether wearing seatbelts was a good idea or not.
    Most drivers had decided years before to not wear them so they could escape a rolling cab.
    Now it was up for fistfights again because of the radials that they hated so much with or without seatbelts.

My take is this ----> like not owning a Taurus pistol, I've seen the dark side and whether it's currently valid or not ... I'm a creature of habit and my policies have been stated. ​

16. Kevinr20

Kevinr20

That's probably true but i refuse to replace a perfectly good tire with less than 10,000 miles on it.

17. Speleothem

Speleothem

I had a brake failure one time.
    I was approaching a stop light, driving my father's really cool Pontiac convertible.
    There were cars in the opposing lanes and construction and a three foot drop off
    on the right. I hit the car in front of me, that car hit the car in front of it and I
    hit the car in front of me again.

18. LinuxLover

This page intentionally left blank​

19. Budqweiser

Budqweiser

People doing dumb things were smart about their tires?

larry_minn likes this.
  20. LinuxLover

Uhmmm.... missing your point here.