close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Dangerous Exotic Pet Stories

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Gonzoso, Jun 19, 2012.

1. Gonzoso

Gonzoso

The narcotics thread reminded me of a residence near my home in Kunkletown PA.

My good friends lived across a corn field from this house, which was more like a compound with their animal cages.

I spent a lot of time there in my youth and I remember the first time I heard the lions roar from across the field. I thought I was hearing things for a bit, but then I hesitantly asked my buddy what that noise was and he told me they kept lions and stuff there.:wow:

So being young and dumb and full of drink we decided to sneak over there with a shotgun microphone and a recorder and recorded the lion roaring in the middle of the night.

Anyway they kept lions, and tigers and a bear.

Well one day the woman who lived there got careless and her pet bear killed her. It was pretty big news up here.

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-504083_162-5363648-504083.html

Any other similar stories out there?

There was also a pet store that had a cougar. Then they didn't have a cougar. Around the same time there were a ton of mountain lion sightings in my area, many people called the game commission only to be told they were being silly and there were no mountain lions in the area. Nothing ever came of it and all the sudden the sightings stopped.:dunno:

2. tantrix

tantrix J'aimeLouisiane

I think the careless part was getting inside an enclosure with a bear...

3. Gonzoso

Gonzoso

What she did was toss dog food to the other side of the enclosure while she cleaned the cage.:wow:

I appreciate and respect bears. The only way I'm getting in the same room with one is if it's hanging from something dead.

On a side note the best way to butcher a bear in my experience has been hanging from a car lift.:cool:

4. Breadman03

Breadman03

When did the cougar thing happen? I saw what looked like a mountain lion on 903 about 3 years ago. I was driving my truck from Hazle Park headed for Ahart's when I saw something cross the road too far away to ID. When I got to the place, there was a very large cat perched on top of a rock just looking into the woods.

5. tadbart

tadbart duuuuude.

i was careless when cleaning my 13' burmese python's cage once. getting bit and wrapped by a big damn snake is no fun.

6. Peace Warrior

Peace Warrior Am Yisrael Chai CLM

Gators, snakes, and turtles around here. Happens so often now it has become so much white noise, if you will.

Guy got his hand bit off at a alligator tour place just the other day. Nuther day, nuther dollar.

7. OctoberRust

OctoberRust Anti-Federalist

Reminds me of fatal attraction on animal planet.

I'll never understand why someone keeps a dangerous/wild animal/reptile as a pet, but to each their own.

8. Gonzoso

Gonzoso

That happened to a buddy of mine, same species, same length and his hand was a mess.:wow:

9. Gonzoso

Gonzoso

This was back in the mid 1990's, I think it was like 1996.

I live and work in the same area. I spend most of my time out in the woods at work, and then almost all my time off biking, hunting, etc in woods as well and I've yet to see any sign of any big felines. Lots of coyotes though!

We had a whole bunch of missing pet fliers popping up all over my neighborhood and then there were coyote sightings.

A guy at my work said he saw one but he was a drunk so I'm not inclined to believe him.

10. Altaris

Altaris

Mine is nothing close to getting eaten by a bear, but it is my personal story.

I had a 4 1/2ft Iguana when I was growing up. It's nails had grown a little long, so I was going to trim his nails. When I picked him up he basically started trying to run at full speed while in the air, with his claws only making contact with my arm. For those that have owned Iguanas you will know this, but cat claws have nothing on the sharpness of Iguana claws. My arm looked like I had run a cheese grater over it. Razor sharp cuts everywhere and every one of them bleeding quiet a bit.

11. Geko45

Geko45 Smartass Pilot CLM

Oh my!

:supergrin:

Was driving back from Corpus Christi one time on Hwy 59 at dusk and saw what appeared to be a small log in the road in front of me. I switched lanes to go around and as I passed I realized it was a 5ft long alligator making its way across the road.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2012
  12. Hines57

Hines57 Simple Member

I had hamsters when I was younger. You may think they are tame, but they will turn on you in a heartbeat.

13. arclight610

arclight610

I had one that was vicious. I couldn't even get around to feeding the thing without it tail-whipping the crap out of me.

14. UrbanOps

UrbanOps

There is a Wallaby loose around here. It escaped from it's owners somehow. It was sighted about 40 miles south just the other day. Instructions on how to catch/wrangle it, is to grab it by the base of it's tail and tackle it. Ain't gonna lie, I wanna see one of my fellow deputies do this...

15. tsmo1066

tsmo1066 Happy Smiley

When hurricane Ike hit Texas, many people took refuge in a Baptist Church near Bolivar. Among them was a local zookeeper and his LION. He was trying to evacuate the animal (which was neither tame, nor a 'pet') by car when the floodwaters caught them, so he swam/waded with the beast until they found the church full of refugees.

The Baptists welcomed the man and his fully-grown lion into the church and apparently there were no problems. The lion allowed them to put her in the church sanctuary and never tried to escape. I'm guessing the lioness understood the extreme danger and knew that going into 'predator' mode wasn't a good idea at the moment, kind of like the wild animals at the Indonesian game refuge that all called a truce and sought higher ground together when the tsunami hit.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/2674684...ke/t/riding-out-ike-island-lion/#.T-CztL9YuJc

Last edited: Jun 19, 2012
  16. Dennis in MA

Dennis in MA Get off my lawn

Whatever you do, don't leave your car keys around.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4zJWA3Vo6TU"]Party Rock Anthem-Kia Soul Hamster Commercial [HD]: Party Rock Anthem-LMFAO- MTV VMA's - YouTube[/ame]

17. ron59

ron59 Bustin Caps

Not an "exotic pet" story, but I have my own mountain lion story.

I lived in the Bay Area for 10 years (San Jose). Across the hills to Grant Ranch State Park was only 20 miles away maybe but in reality seemed like 100. This is wide open land, practically no houses. I got into mountain biking and skipped out of work early one day mid-week.

I'm going along this double-track dirt road... it's slightly downhill so I'm probably doing 20MPH or so. Come around a corner and it's a long straightaway, probably 300-400 yards. 200 yards in front of me, I see something standing in the road, quartered away from me looking into the distance. Meanwhile... I'm still headed towards it at the same 20MPH, closing quickly. At first I thought small deer, then large dog... nope. Mountain lion. Probably got within 50 yards of it before it turned its head, saw me, and spun around. The road was going along the base of a 20' high dropoff (not super steep, but severe elevation change) and it no time it was up that and gone. Seconds later I sweep by where it was standing. Very cool.

18. m2hmghb

m2hmghb

We had a tiger on the loose, the vets (who are the only ones allowed by law to use a tranquilizer rifle in this state) couldn't shoot it so the PD had to have one of their marksmen take it out. They said the tiger came from a woman who kept several tigers to rehab them, and not from great adventure which has a "wild safari". The only problem was they never found DNA evidence of the tiger at the "tiger lady's" place. The state shut her down, but as far as I know never bothered checking six flags.

The latest one was a baboon escaping from six flags. It traveled over 20 miles before they caught it.

19. NeverMore1701

NeverMore1701 Fear no Evil Platinum Member

I got tagged on the hand by a 7ft wild caught BCC, that was bad enough! :faint:

20. SRS

SRS