1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
6,407 Posts

·
NRA Life Member
7,078 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have been known, because of several threads on this forum, to run out and buy a gun that I had put in my rear view mirror but suddenly knew that I JUST HAD to have it.

It's happened a few times.

BTW, nice pistol @KiloBravo --- you did good.
Me too. Pgg has gotten me for several guns now. At least this purchase won't sting my wallet as badly as the Stacatto P he forced me to buy!

·
Registered
37,798 Posts
Nice. Congrats. The -2's are the best of the bunch (the latest revisions). They did offer some -3's, I was told, but they were late-production guns made for LAPD officers to buy. Dunno what the -3 models involved, unless it indicated they weren't older 3rd gen guns, but were simply 4516's made to the TSW specs (even though they weren't marked TSW's). That would've been nice, since they never made an all-stainless version of the 4513TSW. In the 4516 ... 45=caliber; 1=compact; 6=stainless frame. The "3" in the 4513TSW model number indicated an aluminum frame. A 4516TSW would've been a very, very nice option. (Ditto a 3916TSW, meaning an all-stainless '3913' made to TSW specs, which was always something I wished they'd made. Dammit.)

I was told that the last of the production 5946's made for NYPD were actually produced to TSW (tighter) specs and machining tolerances, although not marked as TSW's. Someone from the factory told me it was simply easier for production needs to make them to TSW specs, rather than program the CNC machines to the older 3rd gen specs, and it gave their agency customer better guns than the old 3rd gens. Never handled one, myself.

·
NRA Life Member
7,078 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Nice. Congrats. The -2's are the best of the bunch (the latest revisions). They did offer some -3's, I was told, but they were late-production guns made for LAPD officers to buy. Dunno what the -3 models involved, unless it indicated they weren't older 3rd gen guns, but were simply 4516's made to the TSW specs (even though they weren't marked TSW's). That would've been nice, since they never made an all-stainless version of the 4513TSW. In the 4516 ... 45=caliber; 1=compact; 6=stainless frame. The "3" in the 4513TSW model number indicated an aluminum frame. A 4516TSW would've been a very, very nice option. (Ditto a 3916TSW, meaning an all-stainless '3913' made to TSW specs, which was always something I wished they'd made. Dammit.)

I was told that the last of the production 5946's made for NYPD were actually produced to TSW (tighter) specs and machining tolerances, although not marked as TSW's. Someone from the factory told me it was simply easier for production needs to make them to TSW specs, rather than program the CNC machines to the older 3rd gen specs, and it gave their agency customer better guns than the old 3rd gens. Never handled one, myself.
Good to hear from you bro! And I am always in awe of your knowledge about firearms. Especially the older metal framed Smiths. I always appreciate the history lesson my friend.

·
Registered
37,798 Posts
Good to hear from you bro! And I am always in awe of your knowledge about firearms. Especially the older metal framed Smiths. I always appreciate the history lesson my friend.
Hell, you attend enough armorer and instructor classes, and wake up long enough now and then during them, and you're bound to remember something you were told ...

I was just at the right place & right time. My former mentor was intimately familiar with the 1st-3rd gen S&W's, and there were a lot of folks at the factory (production, repair and academy/armorer training) who had been around and involved with them from before and after the time of the Automatic Improvement Program in the late 80's (which gave rise to the 3rd gens).

Lucky for me, I saved all the notes from my classes, and started to notice how little things were disappearing from the increasingly shortened class recerts, due to machining and design improvements as the 3rd gen guns were benefiting from ongoing revisions. It reached a point where one of the guys teaching the armorer classes hadn't even heard of a couple of the issues from the days before the 3rd gens adopted more nylon parts (like the disconnector & mainspring cup). As new CNC manufacturing methods were being adopted, and fewer hand-controlled machining steps were involved, some of the older knowledge was becoming obsolete to teach newer armorers.

Most of the experience and institutional knowledge for the older guns has walked out the door in recent years (retirement or passing). Time marches on.

·
Registered
1,682 Posts

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
Reactions: KiloBravo

·
NRA Life Member
7,078 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Congrats on the new piece. They don't make 'em like they used to.
Thank you. And they sure don't. I have purchased quite a few metal framed guns in the past year. They are such soft shooters. This will be only my second 3rd gen Smith semi-auto.

·
Registered
36,960 Posts
I really wish I had picked one up back in the day. Maybe even a DAO version. Would have effectively been like a .45 ACP revolver.

At the very least picking one up when I got my 4506 20 years ago.

Reactions: KiloBravo
1 - 20 of 35 Posts