close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Dang that employment situation!

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Dennis in MA, Mar 9, 2012.

1. Dennis in MA

Dennis in MA Get off my lawn

I wish it could be rosier. It's like NO ONE is getting hired anymore. The end is ne'er. (Or is that the Sheriff?) (This is sarcasm, peeps!)

http://www.bls.gov/news.release/empsit.nr0.htm

20K more than expected, added another 41,000 that they forgot to count LAST month and another 20K from December. Wow. That's 80,000 more jobs than they anticipated AND it was a rosy forecast.

Downside - someone might take credit where credit is NOT due.

2. Geko45

Geko45 Smartass Pilot CLM

Yeah, the recovery is certainly a slow one, but it's been underway for awhile. People don't understand that unemployment is a trailing indicator. It doesn't start to improve until after a recession is over.

3. paynter2

paynter2 It ain't over Millennium Member

March 8, 2012
    U.S. Unemployment Up in February
    by Dennis Jacobe, Chief Economist
    PRINCETON, NJ -- U.S. unemployment, as measured by Gallup without seasonal adjustment, increased to 9.1% in February from 8.6% in January and 8.5% in December…
    Regardless of what the government reports, Gallup's unemployment and underemployment measures show a substantial deterioration since mid-January. In this context, the increase in unemployment as measured by Gallup may, at least partly, reflect growth in the workforce, as more Americans who had given up looking for work become slightly more optimistic and start looking for work again. So while there may be positive signs, the reality Gallup finds is that more Americans are looking for work now than were doing so just six weeks ago.
    http://www.gallup.com/poll/153161/Unemployment-February.aspx

4. vart

vart

Shhhh! The Obamanots must not let reality become known or they risk losing their messiah...:upeyes:

5. M2 Carbine

M2 Carbine

I wonder how many millions of jobs are being taken by the millions of illegal aliens in this country?
    Legal jobs that is. Not counting the jobs they are holding down as thieves, murderers, gang members and voters for Democrats, but counting just the millions of legal job they are taking from US citizens.

And don't believe that BS about the illegal aliens are doing jobs that US citizens won't do. When I was laid off, years ago, I would have done anything for a job. Of course the unemployment money ran out after 6 weeks then.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2012
  6. Dennis in MA

Well, seems like 281,000 of your brothers and sisters are more employed now than before.

The telling Gallup quote is this:

Since they are a survey, they have to speculate on the why - but I suspect they are spot-on. There are enough jobs out there being created that there are non-workers looking for work again.

M2 - Are you willing to pay $350,000 for a $250,000 brand new house in the South??? Not many folks are. Plenty of construction jobs have, in the past, gone to illegals. Because they WILL work for far far far less than you are ever willing for the same skilled labor. Even up here in the cold Northeast, sheet rockers are now hiring mostly illegals. $8-10/hr is better than paying $20-25/hr. You can't raise a family on $10/hr. But an illegal, living with 8 working people in a small apartment, can. Easily.

7. Z71bill

Z71bill

How many Americans were employed in the private sector vs prior years?

I have tried to Google it - but can't find the numbers.

I keep hearing the total number of people holding down a private sector job is LOWER than it was 3 years ago -

Even though the numbers show jobs have been created.

So - (made up numbers)

We start 2009 with 107 million people employed

We create 3 million new jobs

And we now have 102 million people employed

So 107 + 3 = 102? :upeyes:

Does anyone know a source for total emploment?

How can you add jobs and still have fewer total people working?

8. Dennis in MA

No. We had severe negative employment growth in 08 and some in 09. 525K jobs in Dec of 2008 alone.

http://www.bls.gov/schedule/archives/empsit_nr.htm#2008

Here's the chart you are looking for:

http://data.bls.gov/pdq/SurveyOutputServlet?request_action=wh&graph_name=CE_cesbref1

We haven't reached previous employment #'s yet. Although they were GROSSLY over employed just in the property/real estate/building/construction trade alone in 2005-early2008. (Just like tech stocks were overvalued in Dec of 1999. Some of the give-back is just to get to "normal.")

BTW - you need better Google-Fu. The top result was the graph when I typed in Total US Employment Chart. ;)

9. M2 Carbine

M2 Carbine

We are paying for illegal aliens one way or the other.
    The figures I've seen is the illegal aliens are costing us 30 billion dollars a year in the justice syatem , medical services, crime, etc. Been to a hospital emergency room lately, full of illegals getting free (taxpayer paid) care.

Chances are if you are in a accident it will be with a illegal alien with no insurance or even a license.
    Crime, including the murder of a 4 year old boy near here, by illegals is very high.
    So the money that is "saved" by illegals cutting your grass or fixing your roof is costing you a lot more in the long run.

Bottom line is, as a owner of a plant nursery told me a couple weeks ago,
    No matter who works for me I'm going to charge the same thing for my plants. By hiring all illegals I can pay them less than a American, so I pocket more money.
    I thought, I hope the next local murder by a illegal alien is that guy.:steamed:

Like I said, when I was out of work I would have gladly taken a job sheetrocking houses.
    I suspect a lot of guys out of work now feel the same way.

10. bill123

bill123

That's cute. Numbers don't lie and liars use statistics and all. Those numbers are way past faked. And yes, illegals boost someones fortunes while costing the majority mucho dinero.

11. Dennis in MA

How far past faked is that??? Measurable? By numbers? Your statistical and polling data is?

Or is this one of those, "You know Obama is down in that basement right now telling those guys what to print" arguments?

After the water witching thread, I know I should just let it all go and skip meaningful conversation here. :rofl:

12. SPIN2010

SPIN2010 Searching ...

So, because they will work for less it is "OK" to hire an illegal worker and break a US law? That is where the real problem lies ... contractors' getting rich on breaking the law. Those "businessmen" (criminals) that break the law should be fined and have their businesses confiscated, plain and simple. It really drives home the value of an american worker making $20 - $25 an hour.

13. jason10mm

jason10mm NRA-GOA-TSRA

There are industries that simply CAN NOT operate without cheap labor. So why fight it? Make a guest worker program, let the transients pay a fee to come here, put that money into a fund to cover their health care/legal fees, and get businesses back onto the right side of the law. This would also deprive criminal smugglers of a huge source of income and free labor.

14. Dennis in MA

Wow. I never said it was OK. But the average american, even though he "hates" irregalz, still wants that cheap cheap product and is willing to look the other way.

My BIL is getting HAMMERED in the construction biz in the last 5 years by crews of illegals.

15. paynter2

paynter2 It ain't over Millennium Member

I purposely ignored the 'water whitching' t hread. I may have to go back and read it. :shocked:

Hey Dennis - are your statistics from the same government who's CBO said Obamacare won't add to the deficit? :wavey:

16. ChuteTheMall

ChuteTheMall Wallbuilder and Weapon Bearer

Those bums living in cardboard boxes and begging on streetcorners are not counted among the unemployed.

When your two years of unemployment compensation runs out, you are no longer counted as unemployed.

If you give up on finding a job, you are no longer counted as unemployed.

:steamed:

17. Dennis in MA

If there is a dishonest rookie cop in your town, should we have the entire squad fired???

BLS is pretty good. Heck, they CHARTED the DECLINE of employment for 2 years. Made up #?? Nah.

The problem with total employment is that the metric moves about a million or so jobs annually. So 137Mil jobs in 2007 is like 141mil today. We are still 10mil jobs behind the curve. But getting there.

Does anyone even bother enjoying good news anymore??? :rofl:

18. Z71bill

Z71bill

I was trying to find - private sector job totals - I think these numbers also include government jobs. :dunno:

You could say - a job is a job - government or private - but I view it as private employment is the key.

19. johnd

johnd

The old cliche states there are lies, damn lies and then statistics. My head is in the oven and my feet are in the fridge so on average, Im comfortable.
    What the numbers always miss is the fear in this nation now...there is a palpable feeling of fear. Fear of everything...jobs, debt, the government that caused the entire thing.

20. Cmacc

Cmacc

It was stated that Gallup's numbers were based on surveys and that their conclusions were based on speculation. The government numbers are based on surveys also and no one speculates on the meaning of numbers more than .gov beuracrats. They don't have crystal balls that give them these numbers, the numbers are extrapolated based on assumptions and models. If the assumptions are faulty the numbers can be virtually meaningless.

A private survey company has a strong motivation to get the numbers right as their future profit is based on their ability to get it as right as possible. What is the incentive for the .gov to get the numbers right?