close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Dang! He Shot My Deer Decoy!

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing & Camping' started by BrianDamage, Nov 24, 2002.

1. BrianDamage

BrianDamage YouTalkin'ToMe?

Yep, was sitting in my Ameristep doghouse, on a little finger jutting out into a cornfield, about 100 yards South of the "main" woods, and about 70 yards North of another patch of woods. I was contemplating going home, either for the day, or to grab a rifle and go hunt some private land I recently obtained. You, see, Alabama gun season opened today (Nov. 23), and I had eagerly awaited its arrival. Not because of the gun hunting, but because I knew that the bow-only wildlife refuge I hunt would be nearly deserted. Couple that with the Alabama-Auburn Iron Bowl game, and I figured that would cut the numbers down even more. I was finally able to move into a spot that I knew had more deer than my bow-season spot, but stayed covered up with hunters.

I had my Carry-Lite decoy with an electronic Tail-Wagger kit installed, sitting about 15 yards Norh of my blind. About 11:30, I heard it. FFFPPTTTT!!! WAP! "What the HECK was that?!?" (expletives deleted for "family friendly reading). I looked around, and didn't see anybody at first. Then I spotted blaze orange, sneaking in on my left.

"It's a decoy, man" I hollered. "Huh? Oh! Uh, You know those are illegal here don't 'ya?" he replied.

So I had to go into the whole spiel about how it's not illegal, I've checked with game wardens, most people read "no turkey decoys" in the rule book and confuse the two, yadda, yadda,yadda.

I'll not lie. I was mad at first. I got over it quickly, because I thought, well, that's just a chance you take using a decoy.

I can't figure out why he shot it though. After I got thinking about it later, what he did and said just told me how he was a Whitetail wounder, not a bowhunter.
    Here why:

"I've been watching it for 20 minutes" (and you didn't never wonder why it didn't MOVE? I don't believe he could see the tail from where he was at (he said he could though), but even so, 20 minutes, and only the tail moves? C'mon.)

"I missed a deer here yesterday, with just a flip-it 45 yeard shot, that's why I got so excited when I saw this one" (one more educated deer out there now. If it was a "flip-it" shot, why take it?)

Plus, he took a deer-facing him shot at about 30 yards! No wonder the arrow just glanced off of the decoy and landed in the dirt! He just barely hit it in the chest. ;t shots like that are what give hunters a bad name. If it had been a real deer, it would have been wounded. ;t

Well, at least I know my decoy works now :D as well as my ground blind (I will be putting my blaze-orange cap on it next time, even though it's not required. Maybe then at least somebody will see the blind and put two and two together)

2. noway

noway

off subject;

But I whent Dove hunting on the first day of the special dove hunts, I nearly shot a set of dove decoys that a guy clamp to the fence. I saw a pair of doves sitting on a barb wire fence ( you know doves don't move much when resting ) So I quietly circle around to get a better look and shot and the 2 hunters where coming back around and yell it is a decoy and made a comment " it looks like they must work ".

If they ( hunters ) didn't see me or me not seen them, their decoys would have gotten pepper with 1 3/8oz of 7.5 bird shot. Those 2 decoy had me 100% fooled.

3. mpol777

mpol777 Feral Member

yikes!! i'd seriously consider putting your decoy a bit farther away from your stand. that'd scare the heck out of me.

4. TScottW99

TScottW99 NRA Life Member

dang fool!

I had a hunter stalk my hen turkey decoy, during the SPRING GOBBLER SEASON , this spring!!! I yelled hunter three times and he never heard me because he was watching my decoy so hard!!! That is not a good feeling.

5. ithaca_deerslayer

ithaca_deerslayer

I could see a gun-only hunter taking a shot at a decoy. But a bowhunter???

Jeepers, when bowhunting, I darn well know that deer pretty well before I even think of pulling back the string.

6. rfb45colt

rfb45colt safe-cracker

The guy was only 30 yds, and he couldn't tell that it was a decoy?????? Carry-Lites are good, but not that good. You said it happened at about 11:30am, so poor lighting wasn't an issue. For a decoy to be effective, it should be placed in a fairly open spot... so other deer can see it plainly. I assume you know that too, and did so. So being blocked by foliage shouldn't be an issue either.

So WTF.... was this guy blind, or just dumber than a box of rocks???

7. BrianDamage

I opt for the latter of the two.

Yeah, like said I was set up on a finger out in the middle of a cornfield, so the decoy was roughly 15 yards out in the open. My blind was tucked up in the finger, right on the edge, so I can see how he didn't see the blind (he was coming around the "point" of the finger, on my left

8. 40Cal

40Cal Modurbator

Not very ethical to shoot birds that aren't flying.;t

9. noway

noway

Sitting on a tree post or fence is open game in my area. Just not at night on roost. If they where real doves and allowed me to sneak up on them they would have been shot and rightly deserving.

You have you're ways I have mine.

10. vaulter

vaulter

well 40cal I gotta disagree with ya when I'm grouse hunting I'm in thick timber and if one stays on the ground long enough for me to shoot I shoot him....I wanta eat the little suckers not just take hard shots...if I wanted to just take hard shots I'd stick to trap....although I did shoot my turkey while he was flying, heck I was impressed with myself :)

11. 40Cal

40Cal Modurbator

This is pretty disturbing fellas. I am an avid duck hunter and if a duck swims into my decoys I don't say to myself "well, he was dumb enough to swim in, I'm gonna kill him". Doesn't take much effort to do something to jump them, then shoot.

That's why it's called "hunting" not "killing". It's SUPPOSED to be hard!

12. noway

noway

Okay look at this why;

Is a hunter that hunts a deer standing in a field eating grass more or less ethical when shooting that deer.NO! He shot the deer doing what the deer is normally doing. Same if it was turkey sitting in a field doing whatever a turkey does.How about shooting a deer/hog over a feeder? Is this more or less ethical?

Using the statement "it suppose to be hard " I guess you can only be ethical if the deer was running and jumping and the turkey was trying to run and flying..........

So I guess shooting a dove that just landed on a tree or fence post would be un-ethical but a deer/turkey sitting in a field grazing is not by that logic.

If you don't like my method ( key word MY ) oh well ,,, sue me.

13. vaulter

vaulter

well my friend if you think taking a grouse even on the ground is not "hard" then I have to question if you are actually a hunter. I really don't see the ethical difference of standing up and yelling so the duck flies and then shooting it...is it unethical to shoot right away or do you have to count 3 mississippi first?? :) We're not talking about shooting roosting birds at night or something....if you don't like hunting this way so be it....don't want to cast the first stone right?...to each there own....I mean I think using decoys for duck hunting is pretty untethical....can't you get close to them just using skill? ;)

14. duncan

duncan Lifetime Member Millennium Member

Got to love the Constitution and the law.

It gives any law-abiding fool, the right to go hunting - even if he can't spot a decoy.

;Q

15. Arbee

Arbee

What is legal and what is "ethical" are not necessarily the same thing. And what is "ethical" changes over time and has more to do with a concensus of opinion about "fair chase" than anything else. I think that the concensus in the USA right now is that shooting upland birds and doves in flight is the standard. Currently shooting birds on the ground is roughly the equivalent of dynamiting for fish, and often also illegal in many states.

16. noway

noway

"Will it's not illegal here in FL"

( funny story )

My last dove hunt outside FT. Pierce Fl , we had a dove cross a field and slip by at least 3 hunters even myself not but to land on a tree branch 40ft over the dove field. A father & son combo took aim and shot him down. I swear to god that bird had cojones and gave everybody the middle finger if he had one while flyin to that branch.When the son took aim with his 16ga, I think I heard alot of applauding from the hunters that miss.

17. BrianDamage

I got to admit, that's what I was taught also...not illegal to take them off the ground/not in flight, but not considered "sportsmenlike"

18. ithaca_deerslayer

ithaca_deerslayer

Vaulter is right.

I hunt grouse in the air and on the ground. Two different methods, but both are ethical.

One involves slowly moving through the woods and stopping every so often and staring in a direction and taking a half-step that way to fool the birds into thinking you saw them so they flush.

The other involes sitting and waiting for them to fly in or walk in. Sounds easy, huh? Until you realize that a bird can see like ... well like a bird! That means they can see both color and movement. They don't fly in and say hello. You've got to be still for a long time, and then you've got to figure how to get the gun pointed at them without them knowing it.

Turkey hunting is usually done by sitting.

19. 40Cal

40Cal Modurbator

If you are sitting and waiting for them to come in, or you're using decoys or calls or whatever, then I can see how some could see it as sportsmanlike to shoot a bird on the ground. However, I always see dove sitting on power lines, fences, etc. and I can pull over and they don't move. Is it really sportsmanlike to just let the lead fly while they're just sitting there?

20. nyredneck

nyredneck كا&

40cal, I hunt for many reasons; to be outdoors, to share quality time with family and friends, for the challenge, but in spite of all these reasons I'm still HUNTING , the act of taking game! God gave these animals many different talents to elude predators, god gave us intelligence to overcome instict. Is it ethical to use my intelligence to outwit game?;f ;f ;f