close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Dan Wesson Valor & CCO Range Report & Pics

Discussion in '1911 Forums' started by awpk03s, Mar 21, 2010.

1. awpk03s

awpk03s

I spent some much needed time at the shooting range yesterday (a la my dad's farm), and put some rounds through my Valor and my new CCO.

The guns:
    2008 Dan Wesson Valor
    2009 Dan Wesson CCO

The magazines:
    DW (Checkmate) 8 Round
    Tripp 8 Round
    Tripp 7 Round
    Wilson 47DCB 8 Round
    Wilson 47DC 8 Round
    DW (Checkmate) 7 Round - Officers
    Wilson 47OXCB 7 Round - Officers

The ammo:
    Winchester White Box 230gr FMJ
    DoubleTap 230gr FMJ Match
    DoubleTap 230gr Gold Dot JHP
    DoubleTap 200gr Gold Dot JHP

All shooting was performed 2 handed (left hand) at 20 yards.
    After every 8 magazines shot through in succession I applied FP10 to the rails and barrel hood.

First I shot the Valor. I put a total of 150 rounds through it using a mix of the above ammo and all mags (except obviously the Officers mags). As expected, the Valor was absolutely flawless. By far my favorite pistol to shoot. Here is a picture of my target after 3 magazines:
    [​IMG]

I experienced absolutely zero failures of any kind. This pistol is very accurate, extremely reliable, and just a joy overall to shoot. It functioned perfectly with all mags, and all ammo. The 200gr DoubleTap loading is pretty hot and it was noticeable when shooting it.

Here's a target after like 8 magazines (can't remember):
    [​IMG]

And here's a target of 4 magazines full of JHPs, the DoubleTap 230 and 200 gr Gold Dot offerings:
    [​IMG]

By this time my shooting arm was getting a little sore and I was developing a bit of the "shakes" but I wanted to continue with my CCO, so here it goes!

The CCO is really a nice little pistol to shoot. I definitely enjoy it but I prefer shooting the Valor and CBOB I think because of the steel frame. Accuracy exhibited in the following targets was due more to my own lack of ability and fatigue than the gun. I have to comment here on the magazines, I bought the Wilson Officers mags prior to reading comments about how they would not seat properly in the CCO. I attempted to fix this by grinding off the top of the steep basepad, and they would successfully fit into the weapon, so I used them - to much dismay. The last round in both of the Wilson mags would fail to feed each time. After several iterations of this I discarded them into my range bag and continued on with the factory DW 7 round mags, and also all of the Gov't 8 round mags (Tripp, DW, Wilson). Aside from that one episode, everything ran completely flawlessly. All mags and all ammo fed and functioned 100%.
    Here's a target after the first several mags with the CCO:
    [​IMG]

And here's another one after I settled down a bit:
    [​IMG]

I will say that with BOTH pistols, the grip screws were loosening and backing out by the time I was done shooting. I tightened them and in my cleaning process I applied just a touch of Loctite Blue 242 to them to hopefully prevent this in the future.

2. awpk03s

awpk03s

Now, what I now everybody likes to see - pictures of dirty guns - please enjoy!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. Black Cloud

Black Cloud

4. bac1023

bac1023

Very cool pics. :)

5. awpk03s

awpk03s

Thanks! I know some folks have asked about this in the past, so I'll point it out, but if you look carefully at the last picture, you'll notice my ambi safeties installed on both the Valor and CCO. Ed Brown tactical models in blued finish - installed by my local smith. Very excellent fit and action, and the finish match to the rest of the pistol is really pretty good too.

6. Officer's Match

Officer's Match S.R.D. v

Thanks for posting. I'm battling internally over what's next up for me... a DW CCO is one of the contestants for sure.