close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Dan Wesson cult following has gotten out of hand.

Discussion in '1911 Forums' started by HAIL CAESAR, Apr 6, 2010.

1. HAIL CAESAR

HAIL CAESAR Senior Member

The below in red was posted somewhere else. Try and find all the BS that this guy is spouting. :upeyes:

I have and like DW's too, but good LORD!!:faint:

Keith is building the better mousetrap.......
    making your DW far more than just value for the money. Some of the complaints about price increases and particularly the now deleted post about the guy who was underwhelmed by his new Valor (I couldn't respond in time to offer to buy his gun) are just silly.

Granted, DW didn't have the brand significance of some other brands. But, I believe that you get more, not always just more for your money than with other better known brands.

Kimber is a straight production gun with no hand fitting what-so-ever despite what people think. A base Kimber might shoot every bit as well as their most expensive model. Their hand fitting amounts to matching slides with frames which makes hand fitting something of a misnomer. They use MIM parts.

Same with Springfield except for their FBI model which is said to be a hand fitted TRP. Springfield won the FBI contract by investing in a special barrel run that shot the Remington FBI load exceptionally well. Their gun will not shoot all loads exceptionally well so I'm told.

Wilson gets their slides and frames from Kimber but supposedly made to tighter specs which would then require hand fitting. Their lower end guns use MIM parts and I'm not sure about the higher end.

I'm a Wilson fan and own one, but if a production run Kimber can shoot 2 in. at 25 yds., how much hand fitting do you have to do to get the CQB, say, to shoot 1.5 to 1.75 in. Actually, I don't know, but this isn't a custom gun but a production gun that has some hand fitting.

Les Baer stopped pays more attention to racing than guns. This is why a couple of his better gun smiths started Rock River. Les builds them tight for target but you pay up for a long break in period and it strikes me as the consumer does the hand fitting themselves.

Rock River came on strong and their guns take a long time to get to the consumer and they became more interested in making machine guns because the market for 1911's isn't as lucrative.

Nighthawk are gun smiths from Wilson who thought they were the guys doing the lions share of the work at Wilson. I keep hearing about problems with quality control and gun smiths leaving Nighthawk.

Ed Brown guns look good, have excellent parts, are expensive and don't shoot as well as some of the others when you see them tested.

At some point, all of these familiar names had quality control problems when they tried to expand. Kimber did the best marketing job by adding bells and whistles but their new guns don't shoot as well as their old guns. Wilson, Les Baer have found ways to cut costs from MIM parts to just not bothering to clean the filings off their guns (read more machining, less hand work).

I sent my CBOB off to a nationally known gun smith to see what he thought. He loved it. Thought it was as well put together as any 1911 he had seen in a long time. Asked him about improvements and he said that a forged frame might make for a better trigger and a slightly tighter fit, but if would make the gun more expensive.

They had already seen the Valor and said the trigger probably couldn't be improved and it was as fine a 1911 as was out there.

My take was this. Consumers buying DW's are buying bargains in that there seems to be some hand fitting on my guns, and some attention to the trigger and that is a lot more attention than you see on production guns. There may be as much attention as the so called designer guns like Wilson, Baer, and Nighthawk. DW guns have quality parts and when changes are made, it is an upgrade in quality rather than just a bell and a whistle.

In trying to make a profit, most others have made cosmetic changes or cut costs that haven't added to the quality of the firearm. So far, Keith has resisted that, any changes have added value, and both my Valor and CBOB (a little attention to the trigger) will shoot with anything out there at 25 yds.-although I'll leave the testing to Sarge.

I'm just sorry that I couldn't find the guy that was bored with his VBOB. I'd have purchased it.

10 years form now, when Keith becomes famous, retires to a secluded island, the guns will be much more expensive, CZ will drop quality controls (the guns will be made trained chimps) and not nearly as accurate, you'll regret that you didn't own a few more.

(I have no axe to grind with any other gun company, but my opinion is a fairly informed one).

2. bac1023

bac1023

3. awpk03s

awpk03s

Wow. That's a little embarrassing. It's no secret I love Dan Wesson 1911s but that post seems like a greatest-hits compilation from the error-net.

4. HAIL CAESAR

Errornet indeed. :rofl:

:wavey:

5. gconan

gconan

The guy does not know what he is talking about. Perhaps in a few years he will get some real knowledge and claim it was not he that made such a dumb post.

6. GVIFlyer

GVIFlyer Senior Member

Buka 45's post is just so wrong in so many aspects that I don't know where to begin - so I won't.

7. HAIL CAESAR

You saw that outrageous post too?

8. GVIFlyer

GVIFlyer Senior Member

Yep, Dave closed the thread before I could post a rebuttal.

9. HAIL CAESAR

ackk..not worth it.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2011
  10. RMTactical

RMTactical Battle Born CLM

Haha! Dang... I did better with my CBOB than I ever knew!!

11. fistpoint

fistpoint

What about the people that left company A to found company B? Was he correct in those statements?

I ask because of something I found while browsing 1911's for sale that pertains to the above. Without going into detail or derailing the thread I'll just say it explains one of my questions I had in regards to who actually builds our pistols.

12. HAIL CAESAR

RRA is a offshoot of Baer.
    NH is a offshoot of Wilson.
    But the guy that started the thread is totally wrong and clueless as to why the guys that used to work at Wilson/Baer started their own business.

13. Ruggles

Ruggles

I just threw all my other 1911s in the river, what POS guns I had and never knew it! Now I am selling my less than vital body organs on eBay to get the funds for a DW!

And I thought Dallas Cowboy fans were blind..........

14. CMG

CMG

Reads like a wiki-pedia entry!

15. ronin.45

ronin.45

I don't know what you guys are talking about. I'm glad he decided to post this vital information. We should hail him as the visionary he obviously is. I hope he has a youtube channel I can subscribe to.:supergrin:

16. Cobra64

Cobra64 Deals in Facts

Yes it does.

17. bac1023

bac1023

:agree:

18. Russ424

Russ424

:rofl:

19. Deployment Solu

Deployment Solu Kydex Crafter

That's funny right there...I'll have to call my friends (owners)at NightHawk and have them close that revolving gunsmith door!!! LOL.

Maybe I can get a job there. Hand fitting...yep, it fits in my hand...it's good to go!!!!!:rofl:

20. faawrenchbndr

faawrenchbndr CLM

Some people in this world just should not have access to the internet! :faint:

Seems he has been hitting the DW moonshine jug, not the Kool-Aid pitcher! :rofl:

Last edited: Apr 7, 2010