close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Dan Wesson CBOB 1911 Problems... HELP!!

Discussion in '1911 Forums' started by TurtleBoy617, Jan 23, 2010.

1. TurtleBoy617

TurtleBoy617 OoRah!

Hey All,

Back in October 2009, I purchased a new, .45ACP CZ-USA/Dan Wesson Commander Bobtail 1911. The one I bought did not shoot straight, jammed, and had problems with the slide now locking back. After sending it in three times within the three months I have "owned" the firearm, they decided that it had gremlins, and that no matter what their gunsmith did, it would not function properly, so they decided to replace it. Out of the kindness of their hearts, they say they have done some custom tuning to the replacement, so that I did not have these problems again, to use their time and money shipping it and fixing the gun.

After waiting a month and a half, I received the replacement firearm, and fired 100 rounds of S&B .45 through it without a single hitch. I was completely excited that they finally fixed it right and that I had a good pistol that I could depend on. (I used S&B because that is what they use at the factory).

Well, S&B isn't plentiful around my area, and I do not believe that after paying $1100 dollars for a gun that is supposed to be an excellent product, has great parts in it and equally great reviews, that it should be able to take much of the factory ammunition that goes through it besides S&B, especially since in a perfect world I would like to use it as my Carry Gun.

Today, I went to the range, and put 100 rounds of WWB through it, and 50 rounds of WinClean through it. It was properly cleaned and oiled with FP-10 (What the gunsmith at CZ/dan wesson recommended to use), and used the checkmate magazines that they sold me and also recommended that I use. They seem to be great magazines. While tuning my pistol they tried to use Chip McCormick Powermags and Wilsons, but they did not lock the slide back.

Anyways, the gun consistently malfunctioned with both types of ammo on round 7 of 8 in three different magazines, where the last round was stuck between loading into the chamber and leaving the mag. Sometimes the slide would be half back, sometimes just a half a centimeter out of battery. Had to rack the slide multiple times in order to get the round out.

The slide also failed to lock back on the last round being fired for the few times that it didn't completely "Jam" while loading the last round. Thus resulting in me being confused that i had an extra round in there, but nope. CLICK.

I have to admit, I confess myself disapointed that this firearm seems only to work with one type of ammo. How am I supposed to trust this thing to reliably shoot my Golden Sabres or Winchester Ranger Bonded hollowpoints if it cannot reliably fire ball ammo other than S&B?

Am I being unreasonable to expect this to fire other kinds of ammo?

I have a Springfield TRP Professional Custom 1911 .45 (yea im spoiled), and it feeds white box, S&B, fiocci, blazer brass, hollow points, and anything else that I choose to put through it, with any magazines, without a single hitch.

I am considering selling this to somebody with more patience and use the money to put towards a custom nighthawk variation of the bobtail.

Any thoughts? Am I being unreasonable?

Thanks.

2. faawrenchbndr

faawrenchbndr CLM

Has anyone other than you shot this with the same results?

3. TurtleBoy617

TurtleBoy617 OoRah!

This exact pistol? The gunsmith at CZ-USA did shoot it, he shot S&B through it, and a 2 or 3 of a few different types of hollow points. Other than that, just me. It worked great with S&B, not a flaw. I wasn't expecting WWB to be perfect, and I was surprised by the WinClean not being perfect too.. Still think it should be able to function great with many different manufactured ammos. I would have understood one or two malfunctions, but I stopped counting after 8.

4. faawrenchbndr

faawrenchbndr CLM

OP stated it was a Dan Wesson CBOB:dunno:

5. TurtleBoy617

TurtleBoy617 OoRah!

Yup.. Did I miss something?:faint:

6. doolyd

doolyd

Well there ya go, should have got a Taurus PT1911, eats anything. :rofl:

Sorry had to do it.

To answer your question, yes it should shoot more than one type of ammo. I use cheap Monarch ammo in mine and it feeds find. I am very surprised to hear their gunsmith couldn't get it to run and if I heard you right, provided a second gun which was tuned (I wonder if by the same smith) and now it doesn't run.

Yes sell it to someone else and get the Nighthawk.

7. TurtleBoy617

TurtleBoy617 OoRah!

Yea that is what I am leaning toward. The same gunsmith did it, and it DOES run flawless with S&B but I can't stand having a gun that only works with one brand of ammunition.

My father who thinks he knows a lot about 1911 thinks i am making a big deal of nothing, and should just settle to use it with S&B... which would be good if S&B was plentiful and cheap, and I did not want to use it for defense..

8. young wiliam

young wiliam

Would it be prudent to give a little more break in time? Try shooting some more S&B to let everything settle in, and then try some other makes of ammo. JMHO

9. TurtleBoy617

TurtleBoy617 OoRah!

I have thought about doing so, however I feel like if I increase the round count on this firearm, and it still doesn't work, and I have to send it in (for the 6th time) to get fixed, it will further reduce the gun's value...

10. faawrenchbndr

faawrenchbndr CLM

Nope,.....my mistake.

I saw THIS and brain processed WHAT. :faint:

11. GVIFlyer

GVIFlyer Senior Member

That's what I would do were it my pistol.

12. rvrctyrngr

rvrctyrngr Senior Moment

I don't think it will reduce the guns value. Wessons are fairly tight and need some time to break in.

My SA was kinda finicky for the first 300 rounds or so, but it's been 100% with everything I've fed it since then. The only 1911 I've owned that was 100% out of the box has been my Smith PD.

I'd give it to 500 rounds or so. If it won't feed other stuff then, I'd say you have an issue or two.

13. nastytrigger

nastytrigger Mediocre Member

Keep shooting it for now, like specified. Make it a science experiment! I can understand your frustration. If it doesn't seem to improve, sell it or contact company again... On a happier note, stick with Springfield. I have.

14. RMTactical

RMTactical Battle Born CLM

Don't know what to say. I have shot a couple hundred rounds through mine now, and used a variety of different ammo including, Federal FMJ, Remington FMJ, Speer GD's, Federal HST, and Federal Tactical Bonded. It only had an issue with one round and that was the result of a bad magazine (metalform).

However, I have cycled the action probably a thousand times or two just by hand. Maybe that has helped?

15. paul45

paul45

Have you posted this over at 1911Forum/Dan Wesson?
    That's where the DW fans and Keith from the DW shop hang out.

16. MNGunner

MNGunner

Try using 47d's. They are amongst the better mags that I have had experience with. As for not locking the slide back as has been claimed by the CZ smith, all I can say is perhaps they had a shoddy mag, the slide not locking back is generally a mag issue and seriously the 47d's are IMHO the best out there. It has been my experience that the majority of issues with 1911's are mag related and therefore I found what works for me and I stick with them.

17. RMTactical

RMTactical Battle Born CLM

Worth a try for sure. They know their stuff over there.

18. TurtleBoy617

TurtleBoy617 OoRah!

I am going to rack that slide back and forth a few hundred times and take it to the range this week and see how it does. I will post on that forum, and see how it is. If racking the slide a bunch does not help, I will continue to shoot it until I have shot around 500 rounds through there, and if there is still a problem, I will decide what to do from there..

19. 1006

Not seeing the gun, I can only make an educated guess. It sounds like the extractor is too tight. The S&B ammo is -- as far as I know -- the only ammo with a relief angle on its base. It chambers easier. The chamber may also be a little tight, causing it to malfunction as soon as it gets a little dirty. If you like the gun, I would take it to a well know smith in your area and get it fixed. If this fellow doesn't have time, he might know someone who will. http://www.m-guns.com/

He is on a forum: http://www.louderthanwords.us/

20. TurtleBoy617

TurtleBoy617 OoRah!

Update:

Cycled the slide 600 times last night, whiped it down and relubed/oil it up.

Took it to the range today and put 100 more rounds of Winchester white box. I shot it very well. However I had 9 of the same last-round-entering malfunctions that I had before. I had 0 slidelock problems though.

I am going to give to until I have thrown 500 through the pipe, and at that point I will make a decision on what I am going to do. That nighthawk custom is looking more desirable everytime I shoot this gun.