close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Dan Brown "Angels & Demons"

Discussion in 'The Book Rack' started by Bilbo Baggins, Aug 13, 2004.

1. Bilbo Baggins

Bilbo Baggins

I just finished Dan Brown's "Angels & Demons" it was written after he wroye "The Davici Code" but is a prequil in the main charectures timeline
    I thought it was a very good read. reminded me a lot of both David Morrells books (i.e. Brotherhood of the Rose, Fraturnaty of the Stone, ect...) it also has undertones of "raiders of the lost Ark" in it ( only as the main is an archeologist by prossesion really)

I would highly recomend it, I could not put it down and finished it in just over 2 days.

2. Mrs. VR

Mrs. VR Sharon, you will be missed.

I liked it better than the DaVinci Code, and I loved that! It was a quick read, and I get a hoot out of all the Masonic symbolism. Are you sure it was written after the Davinci Code?

3. Wulfenite

Wulfenite The King

I just finished it. Its an enjoyable read and an easy page turner. It doesnt take much time to get "into" it, and once you're in it it never slows down long enough for you to consider setting it aside.

Its not really a classic by any stretch though.

4. ColoradoPacker

ColoradoPacker What's a Glock?

Angels and Demons was soooo much better than DaVinci Code which I read after Angels and Demons - I also read his book, Digital Fortress, that wan't bad and I plan to read deception point next.

5. Spen84107

Spen84107

I loved them both. I have to say, Digital Fortress didn't catch my attention as well as Angels & Demons & The Davinci Code. Have you gone to the website & decoded the cover of Davinci Code? I found that entertaining...

I'm just now starting Deception Point.

6. Mrs. VR

the website hunt is a hoot, but you have to make 2 long distance calls! :(

7. Alexii

Alexii Janeway Forever

What's the website?

8. jfecteau

jfecteau ActionHandguns

Angels and Demons was written before the Davinci Code. Have been a fan from day one as he teaches at a school near me and met him at my local book store a long time ago. I have signed copies of all of his books;f Deception Point is one of my favorites but Angels and Demons is not too far behind. I cant wait for the next book.

9. Mrs. VR

www.danbrown.com

10. Spen84107

Spen84107

11. rauchman

rauchman

I've read both the DaVinci Code and Angles and Demons. I found both to be fascinating in history. The story lines themselves I found to be so/so.

12. ColoradoPacker

ColoradoPacker What's a Glock?

But it is the story lines that should appeal because a lot of the history is made up ;)

13. rauchman

rauchman

I guess a better way to put it would be to say, the subject matter I found fascinating. It delves into history and myth and brings it together for a good story. I guess it's the characters I find a little predictable.

14. Eins36

Eins36 World Citizen

Someone gave me the tip to read Angels & Demons before the DaVinci code, and I did. Liked A&D much better (prolly because I'm quite unreligious). I was more interested in how they found out than what they found out. Have to go to their website now :)

15. doctor_cop

doctor_cop

I read the Da'Vinci code and while a good read I found it very misleading in terms of its portrayal of Masonry. With all of the false accusations that Free Masons are cultists, Satanists, conspirators to take over the world, etc. this book merely affirms the worst fears of many. I have not read Angels and Demons but sincerely hope that the portrayal of Masonry is more responsible than in the Da' Vinci Code.

Yes, I am a Mason, 32 degree and past master of a blue lodge. No, I am not an expert on Masonry, but I in light of what I do know, this book bothered me.

16. Glockgirl26

Glockgirl26

From what I hear, a lot of things about the DaVinci Code bothered a lot of people. It is fiction. I read it as such and enjoyed it as such. I have not read Angels and Demons yet, but am looking forward to doing so. I have also read Deception Point and Digital Fortress, and enjoyed both, though, technologically, both are a little over my head.

17. Avenger069

Avenger069 Cyber Warrant

First and foremost it's fiction. I am a Mason too.

However, in Angels & Demons his portrayal of Masons does not state they are a cult or made up of satanists. He states that Masonry means good and is good but that some important positions have been infiltrated by people with other motives. Personally, I think this done more to support the overall theme of the book.

I thought Angels & Demons was BETTER than the DaVinci Code. Demons was published in 2001 and DaVinci in 2003.

18. Eins36

Eins36 World Citizen

I agree with you (except that I am not a Mason). I felt the Masons were depicted as a positive movement. Not so for Opus Dei.

But, like you said, the book is fiction.

19. Avenger069

Avenger069 Cyber Warrant

I guess that is something that is mentioned to Dan Brown a lot. He had this Q & A on his DaVicnci Code FAQ:

PARTS OF THE DA VINCI CODE DESCRIBE THE ACTIVITIES OF THE RELIGIOUS GROUP OPUS DEI. HOW DOES OPUS DEI FEEL ABOUT YOUR NOVEL?

I worked very hard to create a fair and balanced depiction of Opus Dei. Even so, there may be those who are offended by the portrayal. While Opus Dei is a very positive force in the lives of many people, for others, affiliation with Opus Dei has been a profoundly negative experience. Their portrayal in the novel is based on more than a dozen books written about Opus Dei as well as on my own personal interviews with current and former members.

20. Glockgirl26

Glockgirl26

Just got Angels and Demons yesterday, am now about halfway through it. I will have it done by the end of the day. So far it is pretty good. Didn't want to put it down last night. We'll see if I find it as fascinating as the DaVinci Code.