close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Damned special tools

Discussion in 'Moto Club' started by DaisyCutter, Apr 20, 2006.

1. DaisyCutter

DaisyCutter

It seems that there's always one more that you need.

The forks on my 2005 KX250 started leaking after the last ride.

Historically I've always done most of my own repairs/maintenance, except for the forks and shock.

I finally decided that it's time I did my own forks. So I ordered the inner and outer seals, the bushings, and even a special seal driver tool.

5 minutes into the project I stall out when I discover the need for another special tool... a 46mm wrench.

Hours spent online and at hardware stores produced ZERO tools that can turn a 46mm aluminum nut.

So here I am, a 50+ mile enduro race in 9 days, weeping fork seals, and a tool short.

No doubt it'll take 3-4 business days to get the right tool, even considering that most of the parts guys in the Phoenix metro area already have my credit card numbers memorized.

To make matters worse, I'm sure the flimsy stamped tool will cost upwords of $70...

Any guesses?

2. NMGlocker

NMGlocker BOOM headshot

3. DaisyCutter

DaisyCutter

I found that same wrench when I googled "46mm wrench". I didn't order it since shipping it will take just as long as shipping the proper tool, since there's no Northern Tools in AZ.

I'd be tempted to try it if it were available locally, but usually the special tools work better and maybe tomorrow I'll get lucky and find a Kawi dealer with a tool locally.

Thanks for taking the time to look for me. Right now, that's my third option. Waiting for the actual special tool is my second option, and finding the special tool locally would be ideal.

4. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

Special tools are what keep the Ducati and BMW dealership's services alive.:frown: