Damn You Foot!!!

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Restless28, Apr 3, 2012.

1. Restless28

Restless28

I have built my daily walk up to almost 2.5 miles in 45 minutes or so.

I had to stop wearing my New Balance M993s, as they were hurting my feet due to the toebox too tight, even in a wide size, and some funky motion issues with my right foot. I went back to Merrell Moab Mids last week.

I know they aren't ideal for sidewalks, but they feel stable and comfy for boots. New Balance has agreed to give me a credit for returning them, though.

Now that the miles are adding up, I feel like I have a burning pain in my right forefoot pad when standing and walking. My Googling has turned up Morton's Neroma as a possible issue. I k one thing, I love walking, and I don't want this to stop me.

2. sappy13

sappy13

Foot pain is the worst. I was working out and running like crazy over the summer and got a case of plantar fasciitis in my right foot. It totally stopped my running, which i hated because i was running a 19 min flat 3 mile. After numerous trips to the foot doctor, a sleeping splint for plantar fasciitis, and a couple shots in my foot it finally got better. I highly suggest going to a running store and getting a good pair of shoes. Might seem expensive, but a single trip to the doctor due to a foot injury and you will have paid for em 6 to 7 times over. I have very wide feet, so shoes and boots are hard for me to find.

3. jpa

jpa CLM

I've just started to develop a case of gout. This crap sucks and hurts like the devil. I've had it in my heel and big toe of my right foot. Good luck and I feel your pain (literally)

4. Restless28

Restless28

Sappy, my forefoot is wide, but my heel is normal. I overpronate pretty bad. The New Balance folks suggested the 1540, as it's a motion control and has a SL2 type last for a wider toebox. They are $159, but they are giving me a $134 credit for used 993s.

What are you wearing? Asics?

5. Goldendog Redux

Goldendog Redux Shut your mouth

Your foot is an intricate design. You need to stretch and roll it to make it supple. Get a lacrosse ball and roll the crap out of it.

Also consider your gait and whether or not you need to make a conscious effort to change it. I still think you are better off walking barefoot (five fingers etc.) than searching for a fix-it shoe.

MF

6. MikeG22

MikeG22 CLM

http://www.rei.com/product/721632/sole-ed-viesturs-signature-series-custom-footbed-high-volume

Get those. They made a huge difference for my feet for walking. (Currently walk ~40-50 miles a week) They are awesome, put them in all my shoes. You put em in the oven and then mold them a bit to your feet. They are way way better than the superfeet ones I had tried and the custom fit ones the running store tried to sell for twice as much. They do have a couple different feeling ones depending on your arch so if you have an REI it's great to go in there and put some in a shoe and walk around a little bit. It was weird at first actually feeling support where my feet needed it but they very quickly got used to it.

7. 98LS-WON

98LS-WON

What he said, or you could spend a lot of money on orthotics for the rest of your life and still have feet that hurt.

8. RayB

RayB Retired Member

I live with arthritic and neuropathic foot, leg, and back pain, and I get through my days with Percocet and Ibuprofen. Three surgeries did not correct the problem, and I gotta tell you, on bad days it's just miserable. :frown:

Adding my blood pressure meds and Benadryl--which all cause drowsiness--to 30 mg of Temazepam (sleeping pill) buys me maybe four hours of sleep on a given night... I usually sleep less than 4-hours at a time. :yawn:

Makes for some longassed days...

I'm semi-retired because of this.

And it's frustrating for me too, as the muscular development of my legs indicates--I was quite active and athletic, at one time in my life. Now, a shopping trip with the wife does me in... :crying:

Anyway, New Balance were the only shoes I found locally at a popular shoe store to fit my 13 EEE feet properly. And I happily popped $140.00 to get them! Here too, it was the only brand with a toe box to suit me. :dunno:

I also found a pair of Crocs that work for me, but I can't say I like the ugly things.

Wide sizes with adequate toe boxes are very hard to find here!

Recently, I discovered these guys...

http://www.shoebuy.com/

..and I've found them great to work with. Select "Wide Sizes" in your search parameters, to expedite your shopping.

Since shipping, returns, and exchanges are free, you can order, say, both a size 12 and 13 EEE, to see what fits you best, and simply return the other pair. I'm wearing these slippers right now, and they're great, and they fit! :thumbsup:

http://www.shoebuy.com/lb-evans-admiral/261255/556541

Anyway, if misery loves company, know you're not alone! :wavey:

--Ray

P.S. Gel insoles helped a little, but were a PIA.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2012
  9. silentpoet

silentpoet

Have your foot examined at a good running store. There are 3 main types of motion, and if your shoe is not right for the type of motion it screws up your feet and legs. I am the rarest of the 3 and it is harder for me to get a good shoe just by accident.

10. greenman19

greenman19

i have a similar problem, wide feet and it feels like the bones in my right foot are seperating at times. i have to wear a field boot, as opposed to a hiking boot, that i can lace really tight. in effect splinting my feet.

11. Reheater

Reheater Yarr

If you overpronate and it's been identified that's probably 90% of your problem. Boots don't come with differing levels of arch support, they pretty much go one size fits most and the exceptions can deal.

I'm Army and I overpronate a lot. Between pt and regular wear and tear my feet take abuse. So I wear a good set of assic's with the stability control for running/walking. And I had the Army pay for (after breaking me) custom molds for my boots. Took care of both my overpronation which caused a stress fracture in my foot, and my planter facitus. Worth the money even if I'd had to come out of pocket.

12. SonOfMallNinja

SonOfMallNinja

Don't depend on Google- go get it checked. I limped around for almost nine months with foot pain after deciding it was a pinched nerve and I could tough it out. I finally got it looked at (actually my wife dragged me to the podiatrist- she's the brains of this outfit), and it was Frieberg's infraction. It's a loss of blood supply to one of the metatarsal bones, so the bone dies at the joint. Wider shoes and an orthotic pad relieved 95% of the pain. I wish I had done it much sooner.

13. sappy13

sappy13

I am currently wearing Newton Sir Isaaics. They are from midfoot strikers and have a small rise on the midfoot area to help assist in landing in the correct spot every time. I have vibrims and love minimalist running, but my high arch doesn't, so right now I use these. Asaics are great shoes, but the brand doesn't matter as much as the fit and that the design is for how u land. New balance are great because they offer wider shoes than most. That is awesome that they will give u such a high trade-in value for your shoes since u are having issues. If it continues and u can go to the doctor, do it. Its not worth hurting more and the faster its corrected, the better.

Sent from my LG-P925 using Tapatalk

14. Peace Warrior

Peace Warrior Am Yisrael Chai CLM

I grew up never wearing shoes except while in school. This was relatively harmless, but the miles and miles of running and jogging I did on pavement or concrete is taking its toll later in life. The running I did on grass or in the woods I guess has been a push.

If you're a runner on hard surfaces, get some good shoes for doing it or you'll regret it later!

15. snwbrdr435

snwbrdr435

I love my five fingers for running. Not really a grocery store type of shoe though....

16. Boot Stomper

Boot Stomper

I was told by an old nurse that your diet is key with Gout. Good luck.

17. DWARREN123

DWARREN123 Grumpy Old Guy

See a doctor, it may be something easy to correct or it may be something that needs profession help.

18. razageorge

razageorge

Did the sleeping splint help? My Doc told me I have plantar fasciitis also and its been a couple of months now of my foot hurting. I tried the splint one night and never wore it again. This guy is a Family Doc and using his personal experience to evaluate.

19. unit1069

unit1069

I agree with those who recommend getting the right footwear. This is something you can't scrimp on if you want to walk/jog/run as part of your health routine.

20. SGT278ACR

SGT278ACR Retired Veteran

I wish I could complain about foot problems...