Damn you, DBradD...

Discussion in 'Strength & Conditioning' started by GlockWurst, Mar 11, 2007.

1. GlockWurst

GlockWurst ...Est. 1968

...And you too, California Jack.

That's right, you don't know me, but I started lurking around Health and Fitness months ago, and now I'm coming out of the closet.

I'm coming out to say that it was reading you guys' posts about CrossFit that made me Google it 5 months ago, and ultimately become the obsessed freak I am today.

So yeah, I'm a CrossFit junkie now, which means the requisite, almost constant soreness, and the overzealousness that makes me proclaim my obsession to everyone that will listen -- and I have you guys to thank for it.

Being REALLY serious about fitness is relatively new to me, at 38 years-old, but last year, around the same time I decided I might want to apply to the local Police Dept AND found I have some pre-diabetic stuff going on metabolically, I started doing the WODs.

I'm seeing huge gains in strength, endurance and I'm really starting to lose my extra 30 pounds. (All this is happening much faster than with my earlier weight training/cardio efforts.)

(BTW, Ender, if you are reading this, I'm about the same weight as you, based on a post of yours that I read. Along with the dietary path you are on, CrossFit will be a great compliment. Seriously, just jump in.)

So thanks DBradB, California Jack and others, for damning me to this fate. Thanks a lot.

(Oh, and my wife thanks you, too, only without the sarcasm.):banana:

2. DBradD

DBradD Guest

Wow. That's ultra-cool! I'm glad it's working out well.

I think CF is an awesome system, although I have a few bones to pick with them about beginner instruction. I've been off it for about a month now since our newborn arrived and threw us into total disarray! I think I'll be back, though. I'm taking a look at Ross Enamait's Never Gymless system at the moment and it's working out well. It's very CF-like.

Hey, even though you "seem" new, we knew you were here... Ever feel like yer being watched!? :rofl: CF keeps constant track of its members and we figured out how to hack into that. Kidding.

3. proactive

proactive

Way to go, GlockWurst! :nsb: (Where's the tabata squat smiley?!)

4. GlockWurst

GlockWurst ...Est. 1968

Yeah, as in there is almost NO beginner instruction. I was lucky that Montana's only licensed CrossFit affiliate is right here in Missoula, and the coach helped me get started. I still meet with him and a small group once a week where we do some Oly lift training, hit the heavy bag and such, and do a WOD.

The group dynamic makes me work harder than I do on my own, but reading the posts here has been motivating, too.

You have to understand, though I've always been active (skiing, mountain bike, hiking, etc.), I've have not ever really considered myself athletic. I still can't do more than one pull-up, or run a half mile without gassing out, but I'm getting there...

Congrats on the new baby!

Proactive: nothing about tabatas makes ME smile, but here two runners-up for tabata smiley canidates:

:crying: :ack:

5. GlockWurst

GlockWurst ...Est. 1968

However, there is a Pukie smiley!

:puking:

6. DBradD

DBradD Guest

Man, somebody needs to make a tabata squats smiley. I wish I knew how to make those things! That's the only exercise that has recently made me literally fear for my life when I finished. I did 22 a while back and I really thought about calling my wife to the area in case I passed out!

Yeah, the beginner instruction exists, but it must be data mined from the website, journals, etc. I hurt myself (yeah, my fault, I know, but I digress) a couple of times and felt like a little more heads-up would've been nice!

My current major problem is my right shoulder. I've never had shoulder problems to speak of, and I started trying to GTG pullups and learn kipping pullups. First [email protected]#$ try, I felt something twinge in my shoulder. It began popping and snapping and hasn't been the same since. LATER, I found info about things like "active shoulder," "very thoroughly warming up before tring kipping pullups because they're very hard on the shoulder," etc. I think they cater too much to the folks at their major facilities and leave others to data mine the website. That was 3 months ago today and I still can't do pullups. I was up to 5-6 sets of 10-12 dead-hand pullups with little rest in between.

My back and hamstrings also just kept getting worse and worse and I only read later a post on the message board that talked about post workout stretching protocols for keeping that kind of thing from happening. Would've been nice to include that in a prominent place!

I also think they need to have the beginner scaled workouts somewhere more prominent than on another site altogether! I did CF for a couple of weeks (like as-rxd Diane!?!?!) and about half killed myself before I saw that scaled workouts exist.

Anyway, I still think it's a great system. One just has to be careful to remain intact! When my sleep schedule gets a bit more sane and my dissertation proposal is accepted, I'll probably take another look at it. If you get burned out or want a change, you might check out Enamait's stuff. It's very similar to CF. I desperately needed something home based, so I went with Never Gymless. Some of the other guys here are reading Infinite Intensity. It would be possible to create CF or CF-like workouts using NG.

7. California Jack

California Jack Millennium Member

Good job Glockwurst. How is your health and pre-diabetic condition? Keep up the hard work.

Jack

8. GlockWurst

GlockWurst ...Est. 1968

Yes, I agree that data mining the website is necessary, but I look at it this way: It's free, and it's not often you get something this good for nothing. Of course, I have not suffered a debilitating injury due to lack of information, so I sympathize with your plight.

I do think the website is getting better -- the videos that are coming almost daily have helped me with my form on certain things (I learned today that I am a sucky rower, for instance) and the videos themselves are getting better i.e. split screen, onscreen tips, etc.

I will look into Never Gymless as well as Infinite Intensity. Nothing wrong with mixing it up a bit...

9. GlockWurst

GlockWurst ...Est. 1968

My health: never felt better. Feeling this good after working out has lead to a reduction in my other unhealthy habits. I've always eaten healthy stuff, but I've been accused of drinking more than any most people do. I'll have a martini or some wine on a Friday night, but that's about it, these days. I've given up cigars entirely. (I was never a BIG smoker, but sometimes, nothing goes better with single malt, or fine Irish whiskey, than a cigar).

As far as the pre-diabetic thing goes, I go in for blood work next month, so I'll keep you posted. I'm sure any glucose intolerance is not helped by my extra 20 lbs of belly fat, but that used to be 30 extra pounds, so I'm getting there.

:banana:

10. DBradD

DBradD Guest

You are absolutely right. I can't think of another comparable free service. Actually, it's hard to come up with a comparable service that one pays for.

I'm just bitter, LOL. I'll get over it.

I'm going to try a hideous workout tonight. It came from NG and could've just as easily have been one of "the CF girls."

100 burpees for time
    2 min. rest
    tabata squats
    2 min. rest
    tabata pushups

I've never done that before, so am going to take it easy and make sure I at least finish!

11. DBradD

DBradD Guest

It's so cool that this stuff is working out so well. Certainly a good testimonial for that type of training.

12. GlockWurst

GlockWurst ...Est. 1968

Oh
    My
    God.

Good luck to you!

We had a workout the other day:
    For rounds, 20 minutes of:
    Run 200 meters
    15 Burpees

I got through 4 rounds, but burpees almost always kill me.

And by the way, I sort of think they should be called "fartees." Is it just me?

13. proactive

proactive

Ha. A visit from pukie is the mark of a good workout.:thumbsup:

14. DBradD

DBradD Guest

or "pukees"?

I chickened out and did:
    4 rounds for time of 30 pushups, 40 situps, and 50 squats = 23:45

That's as bad as I've felt in a long time.

I'll have to try your Run 200m + 15 burpees, rounds in 20 min. sometime. I do everything at home lately, so I could sub 60 sec. of jumprope for the running.

15. DBradD

DBradD Guest

I just watched Monday's video of Brett Marshall doing Fran in 2:19. That man is the ultimate beast. I think he's doing those pullups in a gravity-less environment!

16. GlockWurst

GlockWurst ...Est. 1968

I could do Fran in that time, maybe less... Oh, wait, you mean the WORKOUT!

I agree. That guy's performance is inhuman. Creepy almost.

When you are that good, how do you know what to aspire to?

But, as my coach says, there comes a point when you can only move so fast - loaded with weight or not. I have to think there is a ceiling to all this.

I'll never get there, but that's OK.

17. GlockWurst

GlockWurst ...Est. 1968

If that's the case, then I haven't had a good workout.

But HELL if I haven't been close a bunch of times.

:thumbsup:

18. DBradD

DBradD Guest

I've often wondered what those guys do for a workout. Sure, the energy output is the same and their power output could be measured in horsepower (literally), but surely they don't do a 2 minute workout and go home. I wonder if they rest a few minutes and then do it again, etc. At their level, they probably don't need skill training, so I doubt that they do that, which would be another option for the rest of us.