close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Damn leg muscle cramp ruins my Saturday

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by tacticaldawg, Jan 16, 2010.

1. tacticaldawg

tacticaldawg

I was having a nice Saturday afternoon nap and what do you know, the cramping leg woke me up. Thank God the Son of a b*tch cramp is not permanent, I don't know how we get these cramps, but being awaken with one is the worst!

It's been 3 hours now, and I am still feeling it, and hopping around on one leg. That definitely gave me one more excuse for not doing the "to do" list. :whistling:

Last edited: Jan 16, 2010
  2. paynter2

paynter2 It ain't over Millennium Member

Drink a bottle of G2. When ever I get dehydrated I get cramps too. G2 fixes me right up - almost instantly.

3. 7gentex

7gentex

Tonic water or Quinine(sp) water - give it a try.

4. LongGoneDays

LongGoneDays Misanthropical

I remember those growing up. They always happened early in the morning when I was sleeping. The best times were when I had to pee really really badly.

Potassium deficiency is what causes those things is what I always heard. The internet tells me this is likely correct.
    Eat you a naner.

5. DRZ

DRZ

Ditto.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2010
  6. Jerry Smith

Jerry Smith Sleep Deprived

+1. the only problem is that tonic water has such a small amount you'd have to chug it to get the same effect as RX.

7. Eyescream

Eyescream hates you

I get leg cramps all the time, especially at…um…pretty inopportune times.

I take potassium supplements and they help with the night-time cramps I used to get real bad. I'm basically cramp free unless I put my foot in a weird position.

8. Geeorge

Geeorge Sarcasm Inc.

I take potassium pills two times a week before going to bed,no cramps in years

9. G26S239

G26S239 NRA Patron

This is what I do when I get a leg cramp, bananas or citrus fruits keep them from coming back. It sure hurts like hell.

10. M2 Carbine

M2 Carbine

If that helps I'm sure going to get some. Those cramps do hurt like hell.

11. bush pilot

bush pilot

I can't get down on my hands and knees without getting a bad cramp in my right leg. The ones I like hit in the middle of the night and I can't even straighten out the leg.

12. Eyescream

Eyescream hates you

It does.

Also, you can't eat enough bananas to get any appreciable amount of potassium in your system to help with body cramps. They sure are tasty, though.

13. bambikilr

bambikilr

banana every a.m. in a protien shake...no time for breakfast...no more, even inop times...really, has worked for the last 12 years, if ya don't mix in a shake, i would at least eat one everyother day...better than pills.. imo

14. KIMFAB

KIMFAB Kangaroo tooth

I have had problems with this for years. I now take Magnesium potassium aspartate from the health foods store.
    If I forget or get a cramp anyway there is a pill over the counter called Leg Cramp - the main ingredient is quinine.

15. donbarzini

donbarzini a pair of 10's

i would get them almost everynight, sometimes multiple times a night. Bad ones too. I would get them so bad i didnt want to go to sleep at all. someone told me legatrin pm pills. I have went about 10 years with no leg cramps. if one starts to come on it slowely goes away. what a life saver. if they ever stop sellin them i would be screwed. I keep tellin myself to stock up. i tried bananas, quinine, potassium, calcium ....... Try it, it should be at the pharmacy section

16. longhair

longhair

I have heard that a teaspoon of mustard will relieve leg cramps. It doesn't work for everyone, but it does for some.

17. goldenlight

goldenlight

Do you take a statin, like Lipitor for cholesterol control?

They are known for causing leg cramps. I got leg cramps on Lipitor, and I still get them from the generic version of Zocor. My doctor has been no help at all. :steamed:

Fortunately, they only seem to happen when I'm sleeping, or trying to sleep.

I shudder to think what would happen if one hit me while I was driving. They DO hurt a LOT!!! :crying:

18. 4GLOCKER

4GLOCKER

All the above plus drink pickle juice.

19. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

Yup, eat a couple Bananas. I used to get them a lot, got to the point where I'd eat 1-2 Banana's a day, and it pretty much went away. Proper hydration is also very important.

IGF

20. tacticaldawg

tacticaldawg

It's now been more than 24 hours from the initial cramp, and my calf muscle still feels tight. The pain's diminished but I am still hopping around. I kept thinking if I run a little it'll get better, but it's hard to even start running with this discomfort. And thanks for the advice on bananas, I ate a handful today, so far I didn't get another one.

I haven't gotten a leg cramp in the past few years, so I forgot how badly one feels. I hope these don't happen when you have to drive (my right leg) or swimming. It's amazing what happens when the mind simply can't control the body.