Damn anti distrupted a nice evening last night...

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Glock20 10mm, Jan 31, 2010.

1. Glock20 10mm

Glock20 10mm Use Linux!

SO my lady and I were over at a friends house enjoying a nice pot-luck dinner with our hiking / packing friends when this idiot anti starts in on guns with me.

I know what triggered the idiot was my NRA-ILA fleece vest I was wearing. Jeez, this guy was an idiot! First he starts of with how the NRA is a bunch of rabid and spiteful people.

My response once he shut his yap was... “Do I look rabid and spiteful?”

I then explained to him how gun control and bans lead to more crime. His typical response was that was more NRA propaganda, and that he was afraid of guns so they had to all be banned. Of which I replied... “No, that fact is from the FBI statistical crime data. You can also look up and see that violent crime has been on the decline in the United States even though weapons ownership has been on the increase.” That didn't slow this steamroller of stupidity down!

He they tried to wow me with his complete and total lack of weapons knowledge. How? First with the “gunshow loophole” and then the AK-47 and then of course the devastating AK15... or is that the AR47.... no it's the AR74! You know the one made by Colts arms. It's a smaller bullet than the military rifle! And then how there were thousands of illegal fully automatic weapons out there in the hands of people! This went on for about 5 minutes. :upeyes:

I let him continue until he was so confused he had no idea what weapon he was referring too. Once he finished he started to wind up with another long diatribe of the evils of guns! This time it was the gun show loophole! Oh he tried so desperately hard to prove that loop hole existed! All this time I have a slight grin on my face with that look of “Are you really this ignorant?!”

He finally closed his gun show diatribe with a challenge. He would go buy and AK47 without a back ground check then sell it to me, from a gun show.

So I started with his challenge. I denied him the challenge based on current law in California. I explained to him that It's legal for a private seller to sell a firearm with out a back ground check as long as the seller has no reason to believe the purchaser was legally authorized to make the purchase. Of course with that he started to wind up... I put my hand up and said NO, you will allow me to finish my discourse, I let you engage in your dialog uninterrupted I expect the same courtesy.

This garnered the typical butt hurt look liberal anti's will take when they are losing a fight. I then proceed to explain that this was legal for private citizens, but in California by California law the transfer is to take place with an FFL. Any transaction that DIDN'T was illegal and I would not be part of an illegal activity and jeopardize my right to own firearms. Then I proceed on with dealers at gun shows are to be license FFL's, if they get caught it's against the law and the punishment is pretty stiff.

I then went on to explain that according to the FBI again, less than 1% of firearms purchased at gun shows are used in crimes. This seemed to deepen his sullen mood and a small crowd had started to gather.

Next I corrected him on weapons, specifically the list he was attempting to wow me with. I explained the firearms act of 1934 and how it regulated tightly, the ownership of fully automatic weapons. I then asked him to tell me when he has ever heard of a fully automatic weapon being used in the commission of a crime in the United States in the last 5 years. He tried to bring up a shooting from 1995... I reiterated the time frame. When he couldn't answer I continued on with tearing his arguments apart.

By the time I got done it was time to leave. He tried one last argument which of course centered around children. That's when I stopped him, I told him that I have a couple last things to say before I leave and a question. I went on about the UK and their total ban on firearms and how now they are the most violent and dangerous nation in the EU. Verifiable from their own media. No NRA influence at all. Then I informed him of the verifiable statistics of more guns less crime, I mentioned Washington D.C. and the Heller vs. D.C. case, and how it restored peoples Constitutional rights, and that for the first time since the ban there has been a significant decrease in violent crime in D.C.. Again all verifiable via the FBI crime statistical data.

Then I asked him... where has every mass shooting occurred in this nation? He shook his head unable to answer the question. So I did it for him. Needless to say I know I didn't change his mind on anything but I at least turned his attempt at belittling me and the NRA into a complete failure. Man... what is with these idiots? For the sake of size I have omitted a lot from this and shortened a lot of the dialog... we all have heard it before, I just wanted to vent my experiences from last nigh. And yes I should have walked away, but this guy wasn't going to let it go. I did initially tell him this is neither the time or the place... but you all know how rabid libs can be.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2010
  2. mr00jimbo

mr00jimbo

Sorry to hear you have to deal with an anti! I am usually quite well-dressed, clean-cut and soft spoken, so when I am the spokesperson for guns against some rabid anti, onlookers see the anti as the antagonist!

If you remain calm and stick to your position, but don't give in to their baiting, it riles them up and makes them scream to make their point. Then they look like idiots.

3. Joshhtn

Joshhtn The eBay Guy Silver Member

4. Glock20 10mm

Glock20 10mm Use Linux!

Essentially that is what happened as far as how the dialog proceeded. Although I may have been culpable to the baiting a bit, but I defended each point with calm factual data and that is why the crowd started to form I believe. He was getting animated and louder and I wasn't. Such an imbalance in behavior always draws a crowd.

But my lesson from this whole experience is to not wear my fleece to events where I don't know everyone unless I want to engage in a debate. Last night I didn't.

5. Glock20 10mm

Glock20 10mm Use Linux!

The food was good at least!

6. MtBaldy

MtBaldy Obie Wan, RIP

Sounds lilke you did good though I'm sorry the moron tried to ruin your evening.

liberals & facts=oil & water, they just don't mix very well.

7. HollowHead

HollowHead Firm member

Your positions were rock solid, but I'd never do this in a third party's home. Being the better man impresses your host(s) and really pisses off the other guy. HH

8. RustyShackelford

RustyShackelford > OD Glock 32

Not everyone that opposes guns etc. are "liberal". Some "liberals" actually are on the up & up.

Agreed.

This guy might have had a chance to make valid points, even if his info was totally wrong. Some people believe everything the hear on tv/talk-radio. On both sides.

9. Carrys

Carrys Inquisitive

So, you let him have his say, making all those false statements and say nothing?

And that just to "impress" your host and hope it po's the other guy? Of course I'm sure it has nothing to do with you not wanting to correct his point of view, or rock solid information.

Why am I not surprised?

10. Jon91N/A

Jon91N/A

When people start on about guns I just bring up the worldwide gun control study by Harvard. Even a liberal educational institution found no correlation between gun control and lower crime rates and actually found an inverse correlation in some areas. If they keep going then I tell them that if they are so much smarter than the people with doctorates who performed the study then perhaps they should get in contact with them to let them know their mistake. That usually ends it.

11. Carrys

Carrys Inquisitive

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

I wouldn't count on too many people falling for that trick again, ever.

Of course it just helps some folks sleep better at night.

12. fwm

fwm

You mean not every liberal opposes guns.

Everybody I've met that opposes guns is a liberal.

So, not all liberals are antis, but all antis are liberals.

13. Trench Sweeper

Trench Sweeper On the day of your birth death began stalking you

Why do you think you should have walked away from it? Sounds like you made good points based on fact. Poked holes in things he didn't know anything about and remained calm letting him look like the *****. Overall anytime I can make a lib mad and make them look dumb it is a good night.

14. RustyShackelford

RustyShackelford > OD Glock 32

Your mileage differs from mine. But that's okay.

/ "if it walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck"
    // etc

15. the iceman

the iceman Proud Veteran CLM

Good idea! I never wear that stuff, advertise it on my car or any where else.

I often run into people I can debate a lot but I never feel like it anymore. The baseless attacks, the highly inaccurate "truth", the GWB syndrome, then the personal attacks and calls of racism.

Liberals are like those aftermarket car alarms going off. You hear them so much you always know what sound is going to come out of the sequence next. It gets old so I don't even waste my breath anymore.

16. LongGoneDays

LongGoneDays Misanthropical

YoU SHOULD HAVE SHOT HIM

17. Kabarred

Kabarred

thats good:rofl:

18. JuneyBooney

JuneyBooney

I walk away from antis. They give me hives.:rofl:Sounds like you had a nice evening.:whistling:

19. WarCry

WarCry

If you're in someone else's home? Yes, absolutely.

A polite "Well, I disagree with you, but I don't think this is the right place for this discussion" and go about your business.

If you are at a political event or rally or something, fine, but otherwise you're just being dragged into an argument - civilized or not - and that's not the purpose of the event your attending.

Ever hear the theory of "turn the other cheek"? This is the situation where it applies. The rabid-anti-gunner in this story was absolutely wrong to start the conversation in that setting. Why stoop to his level?

20. HollowHead

HollowHead Firm member

Political and religious ambiguity makes for a continually invited social guest. HH