close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Dammit! Blackberry won't scroll down!

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Chad Landry, Jan 5, 2010.

1. Chad Landry

Chad Landry Cajunator® CLM

It will only scroll left, right, and up, which prevents me from accessing my applications. :sad:

This just started a couple of hours ago. 8830 World Edition.

I got back to the hotel, and wanted to take a short nap before going to dinner, so I set my alarm to 18:30. Worked like a charm.

Tried to set it back to 04:30, and couldn't scroll down to change the alarm time. Then I discovered that it won't scroll down at all. Makes it impossible to read emails, text messages, etc, because it's stuck on today's date at the top of the screen.

Any suggestions? I don't have a small torx screwdriver to open the cover. That's on my desk at home, so I can't open it to investigate, and I doubt I can find a t-driver in this podunk town.

Does anyone know a way to navigate the screens without the track ball?

2. G36's Rule

G36's Rule Senior Member

The standard BB fix...

Yank the battery. Let it reset.

3. UtahIrishman

UtahIrishman BLR

That's the first I've heard of needing a tool to open a Blackberry.

You should be able to remove the battery compartment cover with your thumbs.

I've worked on a lot of different Blackberries and some are a bit stubborn but they come off eventually.

4. snoris

snoris

This is usually caused by tiny particles of dirt or lint that get in the way of the very tight tolerances where the trackball is seated. It keeps the trackball from making contact with the sensors underneath.

I've fixed it by turning the BlackBerry face down, pressing in on the trackball, and blowing hard on the trackball while vigorously rolling it in all directions.

Not a guarantee, but it's worked for me, and I learned it from a couple of other BlackBerry owners.

5. Chad Landry

Not looking to remove the battery cover. That's easy. I'm looking to remove the entire housing, which I've done before. In fact, I replaced the entire housing, keyboard, screen, everything several months ago.

I figure I could pop the keyboard off and clean under it.

6. ThePhoneGuy

ThePhoneGuy

As snoris said or pry the chrome plastic ring from around the trackball - gently. Blow debris clear and reseat.

7. Chad Landry

Success! :woohoo:

That's exactly what it took!

Now I can wake up to my Pink Floyd ringtone, rather than a damned hotel alarm clock.

:cool:

I owe you one!

8. Chad Landry

That's what I do when it locks up. This one wasn't locked up. It would scroll and open all five apps at the top of the screen. Just wouldn't scroll down.

Thanks, though. I always appreciate advice.

9. LongGoneDays

LongGoneDays Misanthropical

Well damn it. The first topic on GT I could answer and someone beat me to it lol.
    Chad, when you get a chance go online and order some replacement trackballs. You can get good quality ones for around $10, or you can get the cheap ones for like 2 for $7. Always keep one with you, sometimes cleaning them doesn't work.

You can get colored ones too, but those are the cheap ones and you can tell the difference. I'm on the new Curve that has a trackpad but I'm taking it back. It's going to suck.

10. Laramie In MT

Laramie In MT

Just to add my 0.02.

I had a problem with a dirty/gritty trackball that wouldn't move on my old Curve, seems Verizon SOP now is they can replace trackballs in store, did mine for free.

But I didn't see your carrier listed.

11. Chad Landry

Verizon, but the nearest Verizon store is probably an hour or more away from where I'm working right now. This wouldn't even have been an issue if I weren't a hundred miles from nowhere.

12. Psychman

Psychman NRA Patriot Life Member

Good information for future use. Thanks guys!!

13. Frozen_Tex

Frozen_Tex

Another quick fix is to get a q-tip and put some rubbing alcohol on the tip. Then rub the tip on the ball until it turns white again. Helps clean the connectors as well as the ball.

14. Fungunner

Fungunner

Was going to say, from what I've been reading, the track ball has become an issue and weakest link on those BlackBerries that have them.