close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Dalmatian Pup

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by KillStick, Mar 21, 2010.

1. KillStick

KillStick

Hey all I am going to pick up my Dalmatian pup towards the end of April, that's when he will be ready. I just wanted to know if anyone owns this breed of dog and what to expect? I have done some studying up on it and didn't know if anyone else knows if they have any major generic health problems. Does anyone own this dog and live in a apartment? I have read that they are alright dogs to have for apartments but can get bored. Whats your best advice for this breed?

2. Kimelac

Kimelac Bada Bing! CLM

Easily agitated, highly energetic, very skittish if you're not careful to train them right... I wouldn't get one of this breed if I had anyone else living with me.

I only say these things while considering the fact that I chose an English Mastiff for a pet...130 pound 7 month old that snores louder than the wife and kids combined, but is great with a small area and small kids.

(eats a lot - they all have the positive and negative aspects, but like a friend of mine said, there are no bad dogs...)

Last edited: Mar 21, 2010

3. Dalton Wayne

Dalton Wayne Epic mustache Millennium Member

They can have hip problems

4. KillStick

KillStick

I haven't officially bought it yet just put on the waiting list. It is a toss up really between a dalmatian and a weimaraner. I just can't find the weimaraner right now. A buddy had a Dalmatian and it was great, very loving but I was not around it long enough to really get to know the habits of the dog.

5. Ol Timer

Ol Timer ↓ hog hunter ↓ Millennium Member

They can have hearing problems.

6. Zagato

Zagato

i had one growing up. you will love it as much as you hate it. LOL

the most common health problem is deafness in 1 ear. mine was deaf in the left but it never was a problem. They are pretty high energy and need exercise every day. Mine did not like strangers at all, which i guess made him a good guard dog. LOVED to bark....constantly.

keep it away from dark colored clothing and brush it because they shed ALOT.

put it through obedience training ASAP. mine was seriously dumb. my parents sent ours to a high buck obedience school. i think it was a month of training every day. he lived at the trainers kennels the whole time. didnt learn a damn thing except how to sit. when he was young and spry he would eat soda cans if wed let him.

As far as temperament, like i said, mine did not like strange people. once hed get a chance to sniff someone over he was fine. ours was great with the family.

Sounds like a lot of negatives, but they are great dogs if you keep their energy levels in check and train them properly.

have fun and congrats on the new pup!

ETA: hip problems: this is what did my dog in in the end. it got to the point where he couldnt stand up on his back legs so we had to put him down. he was 14-15. RIP Kirby.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2010
  7. I.Hate.Glocks.

I.Hate.Glocks.

Family members have had 2 in the past and both were deaf.

8. itisbruno

itisbruno Devious Member CLM

I prefer the weimaraner of the 2 you chose, but it is a high energy animal that you will need to devote lotsa time to.

If you have the time, they are good animals.

9. DLebowski

DLebowski NRA Member

We had one years ago. Sweet animal, but a PITA for indoors. These dogs like to run and play. He'll be miserable inside.

Negatives - They shed a lot. They drool a lot. They are easily bored and that means he will chew, dig, and otherwise tear stuff up. The breed is prone to deafness and hip dysplasia

Positives - They are trainable, average intelligence. They love to go on walks and are generally good with kids, but can be "rambunctious" around little ones. Very loving and loyal dogs

My recommendation is that if you don't have some good outside facilities for him (very large yard or farm area that you don't mind him destroying with digging, making dog run paths) I'd pick another breed.

10. MacG22

MacG22 CLM

Dalmations are great dogs. I one the whole time I was growing up. If you raise them right, they're a fantastic breed. They can get nervous or mean if you treat them rough or neglect them... but then most dogs can. Weimars can, too.

You'll love your dalmation. Seriously. Can be your favorite dog ever.

11. KillStick

KillStick

Yea I may just end up going for the German Shepherd, I hear they are better apartment dogs...

Last edited: Mar 22, 2010
  12. swane333

swane333

I have a dalmation now that is going on 14 years old. We kept him outside so we didn't have the energy/boredness issues that are previously mentioned. They are very active especially when young. My dog has had no real health issues save some weak hips in his old age. He is a great dog, but can be temperamental in his old age. Know that it will be all over the place and be ready to handle that.

13. itisbruno

itisbruno Devious Member CLM

[​IMG]

14. KillStick

KillStick

HAHA yea I know, but I can't even find a wiem, and it seems that apartment life will not be suitable for the dalm, my third choice was a german sheperd:tongueout:

My 14 yr old blue healer past away last month and I am ready to get a new puppy. These are the choices that I have and given my living arrangements I may have to completely change haha.

15. chris in va

chris in va

Skip the Dalmation...seriously. A high percentage don't get along with kids (not just yours...neighborhood kids too) and wind up in pounds. Don't believe me? Go check out your local shelter sometime.

Why not something like say...a Golden Retriever or Lhasa? Pass on the GSD too, I had one and unless you give them a job, they get bored and restless. Mine nearly attacked a small child. They are NOT good apartment dogs. NO NO NO.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2010
  16. PBCounty

PBCounty

I had a few here and there.....but some chick in a vintage Cadillac kept stealing them.

17. JuneyBooney

JuneyBooney

My neighbor has one and he is a cool dog. The problems have been stated above...hearing and hips. But those can come in lots of dogs. Just make sure he is checked for hearing before you take him...just talk to him and see how he responds. They can get a little aggressive and bark a bit but they seem pretty nice. Post pics when you get him.:cool:

18. KillStick

KillStick

It looks like the dalmatian is not going to be an option anyway none are available for awhile the ones I looked at got spoken for. There are not a lot of breeders at least good ones around here, so I am looking for another type of pup. I used to own a Australian Cattle dog but he passed in February and thought about getting another one but I am keeping my options open now. The last breeder I talked to about a dalmatian wanted 1400$ :wow:, I picked up my cattle dog for 200$. I occasionally see the cattle dogs in the paper and it just makes me think of the good dog I lost, makes me want to get another.

19. WmHBonney

WmHBonney

Do you have kids? We decided on a boxer because they love kids. Ours is 15 months old now and he is just nuts. Boxers have their own health issues (prone to cancer), but you will find that most breeds have something. I just don't know if I would try to raise a boxer in an apartment. Here is a link to a good site to use for researching different breeds: http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/abc.htm Good luck!

20. KillStick

KillStick

Nope no kids and No one else will be living with me in the apartment. I am moving to South Carolina after graduation and it will just be me down there.