Dallas folks, Machado Brazilian Jui-Jitsu and a philosophy question.....

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by .264 magnum, Jul 26, 2018.

1. .264 magnum

.264 magnum CLM

Any locals have opinions about Machado BJJ generally and the Farmers Branch location in particular? It's located well for me as my go to gun range is literally 100/125 feet away.

I've been working out/training with five guys - none of us are instructors and all five have different strengths and fighting styles, it has been a very good thing. Well as fate would have it one guy is ducking out due to a very bad back and two others are moving soon and the other guy has a jones to get into taekwondo and stick fighting. Leaving me out in the cold.
    I really like krav maga but the closest training facility that I know about is a little far away. Machado is much closer.

The philosophy question......For context I used to bounce and I've been in lots of scrapes in the past. Everyone knows BJJ is a marvelous defense art. But apparently Machado is very big on taking any fight straight to the ground the logic being a BJJ disciple has every advantage on the ground - frankly I believe this line of thinking is mostly correct.

However, I see three problems for me.
    1). I'm a big guy with very long arms and very fast hands (at 54 I don't embarrass myself on the speed bag for example) plus I was taught by an old boxer friend and fellow bouncer to begin fights, I'm a natural lefty, as a right hander getting in a few jabs and then quickly switch to my natural side. I have get confidence in my hands and I've ended probably 75% of the fights I've been in with a strong lefty jab or three and another 10% with head slaps.

2). I've only used it in anger once - but I'm good at front kicks with my left leg.
    2A). A guy I used to work for taught me to practice versions of an automatic series of moves A). lefty jab, jab, jab (if the guy is short I'd probably start with a slap instead) B). lefty front kick C). step off the left foot as it hits the floor after the front kick, turn the left hip through throwing an upper cut to the body. The second version skips the kick or the kick is a fake. Sounds lame I know but this fighting plan was very effective for me in bars.

3). In a scuffle with a miscreant who may have buddies around going to ground seems like a sub-optimal move. I can throw a few punches and a kick or two an then make a quick fighting retreat from my feet better than from my back.

Conversely, even though I have great confidence in my stand up defensive skills maybe gaining confidence in a ground game and BJJ holds/chokes might be a good thing for me.

Thoughts?

2. fg17

fg17

Oops..deleated

Last edited: Jul 26, 2018

3. fg17

fg17

Deleated

Last edited: Jul 26, 2018
  4. fg17

fg17

You most definitely will benifit from Jiu Jitsu training. The trouble with reality based arts like Krav and many traditional arts like taikwondo is that they are not trained in an alive manner. They use one step sparring and drills.

Where is sport based arts like judo, BJJ, boxing and Muay Thai ect.. you free fight, spar, roll, randori in an alive unorchestrated manner. You can grapple and practice the techniques at full speed and full power.

I will also add that I spent many years working bouncing and security jobs and that basic BJJ and certain techniques of that art have saved me from great bodily harm. If anything else it will give you confidence on the ground, even if your not planning on intentionally going there.

cbetts1 likes this.
  5. cmosu

cmosu

I would agree with everything here. Training BJJ will also teach you some takedown defense and distance management if you'd rather keep things standing. It's also nice in a fight knowing your back up plan is strong. Against one attacker, I think you have a much greater chance of limiting injury to yourself by employing BJJ instead of strikes. Give it a try. Whether you go for a week, month or never stop, you will never regret training BJJ.

Photo is Jean Jacques Machado, me and Christian Derr. [​IMG]

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

aplcr0331 and fg17 like this.
  6. HalfHazzard

HalfHazzard Señor Member

I usually just eat these.

DO IT... no reason not to get better at grappling.

Kevinr20 and cbetts1 like this.
  7. Mister X

Mister X

I'm not familiar with that particular school, but I say go for it. Just keep things in context and explain to the instructor what you're wanting to get out of the class. I think BJJ has certain elements that anyone interested in self-defense/H2H etc. should learn, but in terms of control, dictating where the fight takes place/keeping it on the feet, wrestling has much more to offer in my opinion.

8. cbetts1

cbetts1

Train with him but don’t go to the ground in a real fight unless you have to. Do what you have been doing. You already answered the question yourself.

9. cmosu

cmosu

I won't disagree about wrestling. They both have their place and at the highest level it's more about the practicioner than the art. Wrestling and bjj both have plenty of representatives in the UFC to observe. However it is alot easier to find a regimented adult training program for BJJ around me than wrestling. Both will be a great workout. Both will make you better at grappling.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk