Dallas County Judge Jenkins new directions.

Discussion in 'Cop Talk' started by Sgt127, Jun 15, 2020.

1. ranger1968

ranger1968

Wayyyyyy down South, shootin' stuff and Jeeping!
    So much for the whole " Don't mess with Texas" thing.....

2. Sam Spade

Sam Spade Staff Member Lifetime Member

It's gonna be worth it, just to see the clown show in mental health.

glock1097, TBO, CAcop and 5 others like this.
  3. fastbolt

fastbolt

That was written by a judge?

CAcop and Intolerant like this.
  4. Sgt127

Sgt127

Yessir. Clay Jenkins. ClayJay as he’s known around these parts. He is a democrat mover and shaker. Probably take a run at Governor Abbot soon.

If it’s a democratic liberal idea, he’s behind it. 100%. Got his name out during Ebola. Now, anything he can jump into, he’s in. Letters, proclamations, Decisions. 5E8AE157-E7C0-40D2-925B-F6B0979FE80F.jpeg

5. Ftttu

Ftttu

Smells intensely of mangina!!! I STILL don't know how judges have authority to do crappe like this!

Dragoon44, Sgt127 and billy_56081 like this.
  6. ateamer

ateamer NRA4EVR

A Texas county judge is the county’s CEO.

For the Texans here, are his wishes in any binding on the sheriff, or does the sheriff get to set his own office’s procedures and priorities?

larry_minn likes this.
  7. merlynusn

merlynusn

So a county judge can’t upend decades of state law and case law just because he proclaims it.

So does that mean If a homicide suspect has diabetes they have to release him? There doesn’t seem to be any wiggle room in his “shall” proclamation.

And since when is a knife not a deadly weapon? What about if they are trying to take the officer’s gun? He’s unarmed technically. The union needs to jump on this and get an injunction if it holds any kind of legality.

Ohsheepdog, glock1097 and Sgt127 like this.
  8. Glock45Lover

Glock45Lover

9. Sgt127

Sgt127

She.

8A3347F2-DC90-4584-A341-34243F496F8B.jpeg

10. Detectorist

Detectorist

She only wears 4 stars? ;)

larry_minn and CAcop like this.
  11. Dragoon44

Dragoon44 Unfair Facist Lifetime Member

I am all for social workers being sent to deal with mental health issue.

Or better yet make the family responsible for getting their family member the mental health care they need.

Instead of the family running to the county judge and getting a commitment order directing the police to transport their family member to a mental health facility. ( Which for us was a facility in another city 50 miles away.

12. Dragoon44

I can remember almost thirty years ago reading an article in police chief magazine by a black police chief.

In it he berated whites for mocking black police chiefs and Sheriff's habit of loading their uniforms with lots of stars and other decorations to where they looked like some third world dictator.

His explanation was they deserved it. Being an oppressed minority and all they deserved all the pomp and decorations it made them feel good about themselves.

That is about the time I quit reading police chief magazine.

13. ateamer

ateamer NRA4EVR

Like Clarke up in Milwaukee? Almost all of his flair was commemorative pins and trinkets from other agencies, plus some duplicates.

Dragoon44 likes this.
  14. fastbolt

fastbolt

I'm in complete agreement with the first sentence, but the second sentence is a bit of steeper hill to climb.

My wife's closest friend endured virtually endless frustration in trying to get help for her eldest son when he required serious mental health help. The local city/county system simply wasn't user-friendly and almost seemed to put hurdles in the way of her being able to advocate for her son and get him the help he needed.

She eventually prevailed, but her patience and persistence in trying to successfully navigate and overcome the built-in bureaucratic resistance to function for the benefit of the persons needing it was little short of incredible.

Now, if it can be shown that a family displayed a willful indifference to even trying to get help for some family member? And didn't just procrastinate until the family member had become violent, so they called for police? Might be more of a goal.

In the meantime, I'm also all in favor of having mental health professionals make up the "first responder teams" for disturbances involving persons experiencing a mental health crisis. Sending in unarmed responders will also help prevent the person-in-crisis from having access to a gun if the team members aren't bringing guns with them. That way there won't be guns the person-in-crisis can attempt to take away, right?

After all, if the latest thinking is that someone isn't "armed" just because they're holding a knife, baseball bat, hammer, screwdriver, etc ... the responders won't need guns, nor need to be accompanied by armed police, right?

glock1097 and cbetts1 like this.
  15. o2gt

o2gt

they are not upending any case law with this it’s setting county and DPD guidelines. I guess DPD decided join on with the county on this but they set their own rules outside the county judge.

legally in Texas a knife can be a deadly weapon but is not presumed to be only a firearm gets a deadly weapon presumption. But it does not take much to get there with a knife.

I dint agree with what they are doing and it will be interesting to see how it plays out both on the street and possible push back by the courts.

roscoepcoaltrain likes this.
  16. Dragoon44

One thing I appreciated about my police chief was he was unpretentious, he usually did not wear a uniform but when he did it was just a plain uniform, no stars, pins, or anything.

The only difference between his uniform and hours was his badge (same a ours) said "Police chief" on it.

Of course standing at 6'5" he did not require much in order to be imposing.

17. Dragoon44

Yeah,

But what I am referring to is families that did noting to get their own members any mental health help. They either just called the cops or went to the judge to get a commitment order directing us to take them for 72 hour observation.

And nine times out oftenthey were released after 72 hours.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Ohsheepdog and glock1097 like this.
  18. GPalmer

GPalmer CLM

Officers shall not shoot their firearms 1) ... and 5) if the officer is alone for example, after a solo foot chase.
    So, in a one on one confrontation, where the officer is presumably in a weaker position than say having six officers on the scene, he can't shoot but with six officers available they are allowed to? Whuh???

19. MurrayNevada

MurrayNevada USMC (MOS 0369) (RVN 69-70)

Yeah, doesn't seem to be rhyme nor reason for the number of and arrangement of the stars on the uniforms of chiefs and sheriffs. My favorite are the circular 5-star (General of the Army) stars some wear. I think I even saw a picture once of someone wearing 6 stars.