Daily Driver Question

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Eric, Oct 8, 2015.

1. Eric

Eric Big Giant Head CLM

How many people here have a daily driver that has actual chrome plating on its bumpers, mirrors, trim, etc? I'm not talking about chrome treatment over plastic or something, but metal plated with copper and then nickel and then chrome? Chrome wheels don't count. That is still moderately common on newer vehicles.

Also, how many people still drive a daily driver with a cassette player, or eight-track player? How about a CB?

Why am I asking? I can't sleep and I am bored. That and I like cars and I grew up polishing chrome on some very expensive cars, at the care museum my parents used to manage. Some of those wire wheels had rows of wire rods four rows deep or more. I am surprised my fingers survived polishing those damned things without some permanent disfiguration. Have you ever been cursed with people finding out that you are really good at something that you would REALLY rather not be doing?

2. Eric

Eric Big Giant Head CLM

How many of you had one of those eight-track to cassette adapters in their vehicle, back in the day? I dad a couple of them. It plugged into the eight-track like a regular eight-track tape, but it had a slot for a cassette tape and the buttons to operate it. The sound wasn't great, but it beat listening to a worn out Conway Twitty or Abba eight-track.

I remember how proud I was when I got my first radio cassette player for my second car and then later, when I got a Pioneer car stereo that not only had a cassette player, but it had auto-reverse! That was the cat's ass, back then. That Pioneer deck pushed a amp/EQ (remember those?) and fed a set of Pioneer 6907 4-way 6"x9" speakers. Those were the speakers to have when I was a teenager.

image.jpeg

Man, I was proud of those speakers and that stereo. It was lame by today's standards, but it sure thumped back then.

3. GVIFlyer

GVIFlyer Senior Member

My daily driver is the newest car I have (Wifey has a newer one). :headscratch:
    2015 Mini Paceman Cooper S All4.
    [​IMG]

4. droidfire

droidfire

i have neither real chrome nor any kind of audio cassette system.

i was 'that computer guy' and it got real old, real quick. i actually dropped out of college over it. i went to college for what i knew the most about at the time, and went in for computer security stuff. about two thirds of the way through it i swore off computers for a living or for hobby, just got sick of dealing with it.

the only digital devices i own now run the android operating system, and i'm totally fine with that. anything i would need a desktop operating system for is no longer within my purview and i do without.

which kinda feeds back tangentially to the main question - vehicle has a cd player and i have no way of burning cds - hah... oh well.

5. Geko45

Geko45 Smartass Pilot CLM

The daily driver is an '03 Dodge Ram. It has real chrome bumpers and wheels. No cassette, but it does still have a CD changer. The Jeep is the newish vehicle and it plays MP3 discs. No CB in either vehicle, but I am a ham radio operator so I will often have an amateur radio rig in one or both.

If you want a real throwback, my 1961 Piper Colt has an ashtray in the glareshield (dashboard for you nonflying folks).

Sent from my Lenovo TAB 2 A10-70F using Tapatalk

6. sopdan

sopdan

My '04 Jeep WJ (actually WG) has a cassette/CD player, never use the cassette, but every once in a while I think about trying to find one of those cassette adapters so I can play my iPod or phone through it.

7. silentpoet

silentpoet

My truck still doesn't have a radio. I have had one for it since Christmas. Just haven't put on the adapter and installed.

8. roger123

roger123

My Honda Pilot ('04) doesn't have chrome bumpers but it does have both a single disk CD AND a cassette player!

Anyone remember FM "converters". My Dads '78 F-150 (best year ever) had an AM radio and he bought some thingamagingger that he added that allowed him to get FM too.

9. Tvov

Tvov

My '87 F350 dump truck has a cassette player, which actually came out of my '88 F150 when I sold it. My F350 also has a real chrome front bumper! And... it has the little triangle vent windows for the doors. Love those things.

Growing up I drove my Dad's 1977 Mercury Grand Marquis (4 door, black with red leather interior... 19 feet long, I loved that car). It had an 8 track player, and a "Quadraphonic" stereo system - not just 4 speakers, but 4 separate speakers. Now a days it is called "surround sound"... back then, not very common. I also had a cassette converter for the 8 track, used it all the time!

My 2008 F250 has a real, working cigarette lighter! Fewer vehicles have those these days... I am pretty sure our 2015 Ford Fusion doesn't have one (not sure though, I still haven't figured out everything that friggin' car can do...).

10. Schaffer

Schaffer

I have a 97 Dakota with chrome bumpers. Being a Dakota the rear bumper is about rusted through. Has a cd player, but it's also a stick. Which is uncommon, i really had to look for a v8 truck with a stick.

11. cmosu

cmosu

I have a 2007 Sierra classic. It has chrome bumpers but not chrome wheels or mirrors. It has an am/fm radio with cd and cassette player.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

12. rock_castle

rock_castle Life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness

Haven't had a vehicle with real chrome since the early eighties. Never had 8 track in the car. I believe my last cassette player was in the mid 2000's.

13. 686Owner

686Owner NRA Life Member

Pretty sure my '03 Pilot has a cassette player, CD player and DVD player. I say pretty sure because I don't even own any cassettes anymore, but I think I remember it having a tape player.

14. Tvov

Tvov

Speaking of "chrome" wheels... my 2008 F250 has the "chrome bonded" wheels thingy - where a piece of chromed sheet metal is attached to a steel wheel. It looks fine, just not sure why Ford went to the trouble of doing it. Almost seems like just chroming the steel wheels would be cheaper. The chrome sheet metal is, realistically, permanently attached to the steel wheel.

15. Cashgap

Cashgap

After four years and 96,000 miles in my last car, on the day it left, I realized it had a six CD changer. I'd noticed the CD slot but never used it.

16. All Pro Sports Hero

All Pro Sports Hero

How's this for old school chrome?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

17. jasonvp

jasonvp Kantre Member Lifetime Member

I hate chrome. Hate. It. My truck's bumpers, front grill, and mirrors are all chromed and it's just obnoxious. But it's the only way to get that specific version of the truck: chrome everywhere. It even comes default with chrome 20" wheels, which I drew the line at. GMC provides a polished aluminum wheel option for the truck which isn't much better. But at least it isn't... chrome.

Ugh.

Chrome sucks.

18. droidfire

droidfire

spray bedliner would solve your woes.

19. Dennis in MA

Dennis in MA Get off my lawn

Until Christmas, my 2nd daughter is driving a Cassette car. 98 Corolla. The radio is EQUIPPED for a CD. But no CD player anywhere in the car. LOL I mean, the manual ASSUMES that it's there, yet doesn't tell you where it is. . . because the deck is NOT part of the std equipment.

It has man-well mirrors as well. And with no keyless, you cannot just bump the key in the driver's lock to lock or unlock all the doors. Talk about OLD school.

It came in yesterday. I could scare people a bit in that car. Very low to the ground versus most modern sedans and has some decent pickup from 15-45. (0-15 you need to Fred Flintstone it. After 45 you are in OD and it won't do a whole lot.)

20. Turn4811

Turn4811

2000 Toyota Tundra SR5 4x4

It has the chrome bumpers and it's for sale.