close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Dachshund owners

Discussion in 'Woof Memorial Critter's Corner' started by SouthernGal, Aug 17, 2004.

1. SouthernGal

SouthernGal What's Up Dox?

I've got a bit of a problem.

My miniture 9-year-old has done something to her back or shoulders. I realize this is common so far as doxies go but I'm unsure what to do and taking her to the vet traumatizes her.

About 3 days ago I noticed she was unwilling to try to jump either up or down. She wanted my help, which is unusual. Now when she is spooked and jumps down she'll kinda squeal or squeak. I have a feeling the pain is coming from between her shoulders but I'm just going by her stance.

I'm real tempted to take her to the vet and have him give her some prednisone but I hate that stuff and every time we go in she puts up a fight that is worthy of coming from an animal in excess of 100 pounds. Trying to hold onto her is like trying to catch a greased pig. She's terrible.

I've been giving her 1/2 a baby asprin 2x a day and trying to make her as comfortable as possible. Any suggestions on what else I can do?

2. hapuna

hapuna Trusted Member

Maybe a doggie chiropracter...I hear they can really help.

3. Blah!

Blah! Guest

Sorry to hear the little wiener is hurting hope she gets better.

Is she over weight? I would bite the bullet and take her to the vet they may be able to fix it before it gets to bad. Also you could make a ramp for the critter to go up and down the bed n stuff rather than jump. I help my doxies up and down when I can.

4. SouthernGal

She's not overweight if you can believe that (I've never seen one who didn't like to eat but she's really pretty finicky). She's also pretty "short" for a doxie. She only weighs about 8 pounds, so she's pretty teeny.

I've been watching her carefully the last few days and I think she may be improving. I believe the pain is coming from between her shoulders, not her back. I'm picking her up stairs and in and out of the car. I just want her to improve. There's a dachshund race she's been in for the last 4 years and we're gonna miss it if I can't get her well.

5. Vic303

Vic303 Senior Member

Baby aspirin will help with the pain and inflammation. Sounds like a disc going out...Cortisone shot may help too. Good luck. I've been there...

6. Petra

Petra

I really think you need to get that little darlin' in to see the vet. It could be something as simple as muscle strain. Or it could be something potentially serious. Call the vet and see if you can come by and pick up a Valium first. Get one for the dog too while you're at it. ;) Seriously though, we have to give 1 of our males a Valium before we can take him in to get his nails done. Otherwise he's a holy terror.

Mark

7. SouthernGal

I have never known a single Dachshund owner who said that their dog would allow you to mess with their feet. They all hate it. Mine squeals like you're killing her if you try to cut her toenails yourself. Mine is equally horrible when you try to give her a bath.

I think she's better. She got fed up with me yesterday because I wouldn't pick her up and put her on the sofa, so she jumped up there by herself. She also did a set of stairs by herself without squealing.

8. Jon509

Jon509

I have to fight mune tooth & nail to cut her nails and give her a bath. Both usually take 2 people. One to hold and one to wash/cut.

Jon

9. Nestor

Nestor Lean & Mean

I had dachshund for over 17 years. Crazy dog. My last dachshund BTW.
    Ok, older dachshund can have a very serious problem with backbone. It's not about disc going out (which is common for both younger and older dogs too). It's some kind of degeneration of backbone in head to shoulder area. It's evoke a pressure of the backbone on the spinal cord. It's very paintful, so if she's not yelp during the move or even without any move it's not this. I hope it's not this, because it's incurable. Please visit the vet. Good luck!

Adam