close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

D.C in june

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by L Cast, Jan 25, 2010.

1. L Cast

L Cast

We just booked a flight to washington dc in june and will be there for six nights. We already have a general idea of what we want to see. Looking for any input on what not to miss and anything in the outlying areas that we should maybe think about doing. And any general information from people who have been there would be appreciated.

We still have not figured out where we will be staying, info on that would be helpful. Thanks

2. OXCOPS

OXCOPS

The closer you get to the city, the more expensive hotels are. When I went a few years back, I stayed out in Rockville, Maryland and rode the METRO into town on the Red Line. I can't remember the name of the hotel chain, but it was a block from the METRO station.
    I would HIGHLY recommend going to http://www.wmata.com/ and checking out their 7-day unlimited use pass for the subway. It will save you a TON of money on parking or cab fees.

3. thegreendevil76

thegreendevil76

If you like guns, which I'm guessing you do, check out the NRA museum in Fairfax, VA. It's a short drive out into the 'burbs and has a vast collection. If you are already out that way, you might as well go to the new Air and Space Museum campus (Udvar-Hazy) at Dulles Airport. All of the Smithsonian museums are great. The view from the top of the Post Office Pavillion is good (probably better than the Washington Monument, which has long lines and tiny windows). Arlington National Cemetery, Mount Vernon, and Old Town Alexandria are pretty good stops just over the Potomac in VA. If you are up for a longer drive, Harper's Ferry WV is a great place to visit. Lots of history, and very scenic. If you do not have access to a car while you are there, you can fill up a week just walking around the area of the National Mall (Smithsonian museums, Lincoln Memorial, Washington Monument, Vietnam Memorial, White House, etc.)

4. Dalton Wayne

Dalton Wayne Epic mustache Millennium Member

Gettysburg is a short drive away also Harper's ferry and Antietam battlefield, many civil war sights are very close if your into the civil war, I don't go to DC without going to gettysburg.
    Regards
    DW

Last edited: Jan 25, 2010
  5. Bado

Bado

6. KinderGlocken

KinderGlocken

I grew up in Alexandria (Mount Vernon, VA) and this is where we would take people that visited us growing up. They were all big hits.

1. The Mall in DC. You do not have enough time to do all the Smithsonian Museums So I suggest you hit the Natural History, American History, and Air and Space (Which you will have to take the metro to because it moved several years ago is near Dulles Airport in VA.)
    2. The Mall. Washington Monument, Vietnam and WW2 Memorials, Lincoln Memorial, Reflection pool can all be done in ½ day. The rest of the day I would do the Capitol.
    3. National Archives, to see those important documents!
    4. FBI, if you have time
    5. NRA head corters, Fairfax VA if you have time.
    6. You can go by the White house but I would skip the tour, too long a wait!
    7. If you have time take the yellow line metro to Huntington Station in Alexandria. Then get on bus to Mount Vernon (George’s Estate). This is half a day to a full day affair. Take a cab or bus to Old Town Alexandria for the rest of that day. I grew up in Mount Vernon and it is often overlooked in many people’s vacation plans to DC and I think it should be at the top.

The cool thing is #1, 2, 3,4,5,6, all free admission.

7. KY Moose

KY Moose

Take from someone who lives here, that there are some good mentions above on what to see.

You can add the International Spy Museum in DC. Check their website for activities when you're here.

Take a walk through China Town. Yeah it's small, but something to see.

Try the National Zoo.

You should take a day or two and see sites in Virginia. Take in all mentioned Virginia sites and add the Manassas Battlefield.

I suggest walking around Old Towne Alexandria during the evening and into the night. See if the ghost tours are still going on and try it out. Take time and enjoy some of the really good places to eat there too. Lots to choose from.

Will you be renting a car, or plan on staying in a hotel near Metro? Most of the things in DC are near a metro stop, or within walking distance. You could skip on renting a car, and just get a hotel in the Crystal City section of Arlington County, just across from Reagan Airport.

But if you're flying into Dulles, it may be better to just rent a car, and find something along I-66.

If you have any questions on this, or the area shoot me a PM.

8. JimmyN

JimmyN

I agree with Oxcops, stay outside DC and ride the metro in. It's actually pretty nice and you won't have to deal with driving and parking in DC, and the motel rates will be cheaper.

As far as things to do around the DC area you won't be able to cover but a little of it in 6 days. So pick the things that interest you most. You could spend twice that time just at the Smithsonian and still not see it all.

9. trifecta

trifecta

Good info here. I think Air and Space didn't move, they just added a facility. I only saw the one on the mall and it was great.

Holacaust Museum, Bureau of Engraving and Printing if you want to see where bills are printed. It was cool to stand in the same spot where MLK gave his speech at the Lincoln Memorial. I also enjoyed the memorials at night with the lights.

10. Burns

Burns

If you change your reservations to April you can to to the 2nd Amendment March! Just an idea.

I live pretty close to DC and my wife went to college there, so we know the area pretty well. What do you guys like to do? Do you like museums and general tourist attractions including battlefield sights and such? Do you like nice or unique restaurants and little towns that your wife may think are "cute"?

If you are interested in a White House tour, the time to look into that is NOW, since there is a wait. Your local congressman can help with White House visits. The National Mall is obviously the #1 attraction and I would certainly plan to spend at least 4-5 hours there. You don't want to rush the national mall visit. A picnic on the National Mall with your wife is great; if she's anything like my wife she will love that. Just stop by Panera or Corner Bakery or something, get your food to go and take along a beach towel. Don't miss the Jefferson Memorial (my personal favorite along with the WWII memorial), which would also be a good place for the picnic. Look into what is going on at the mall while you are staying in DC. There may be free concerts w/ the National Symphony or something like that.

The Smithsonian museums (there are quite a few) were a good suggestion as was the NRA museum in Fairfax. The National Building Museum is great. The "Spy Museum" is supposed to be very cool, especially for guys who like guns and such, but I haven't been there yet (and I think admission is a little pricey).

Mt. Vernon is about 30 min from DC and it is really fantastic.

The best day trips, IMO, are Colonial Williamsburg and the Gettysburg Battlefield; if you have a rental car and want to take a day trip. It is absolutely worth the drive 1.5 hrs for Gettysburg and 2.5 hrs. for Colonial Williamsburg. Of the two, I prefer Gettysburg. It is absolutely incredible and aside from visiting the National Mall, it would be my #2 pick. If you are into Civil War history even slightly and you haven't been to Gettysburg, do it. If you like beaches, you can visit Virginia Beach on a trip to Colonial Williamsburg; you could even stay a night in either location.

As far as "cute" neighborhoods to enjoy with your wife, Adam's Morgan and Georgetown are both real good. Both of these have great restaurants. If you pick one of those, make it Georgetown. In Georgetown, walk all around M street and then go downhill to the waterfront area and check that out. If you like fantastic pizza and great beer, check out Pizza Paradiso.

The museums are mostly free and during the week they are not crowded. On the weekends the museums are more crowded, but there is far less traffic and you can usually find places to park on the street.

As for the hotel, you can lose a lot of time commuting via the metro if you are staying outside of the city. IMO, it's better to get a great rate on a hotel via Hotwire. I'm not going to go into Hotwire, you can learn about it on the web if you've never used it, and if you have any questions on it just ask. I'll just say that I travel for work and I use it almost every time. Hotwire is your ticket for staying at a decent hotel in downtown DC for cheap. Another option would be Crystal City (across the river in Virginia) or Bethesda, MD, which are often cheaper than DC. However, in my experience you will make up for what you save on hotels in cab fare, metro fare etc (assuming you get a great deal on Hotwire).

Have a great trip. If you have questions on anything I mentioned just let me know.

ETA: KinderGlocken's suggestion on Old Town Alexandria is spot-on, +1.

I checked Hotwire for next week, 6 nights, to give you an idea. You can stay in a 3-star in Dupont Circle (really good location) for $89 per night, or a 3 star in Georgetown (also excellent) for $98 per night. Outside of the city (Alexandria, Reston, Bethesda etc) starts around $55 per night. Of course, they may add on parking fees and there is a "recovery fee", but still...you're probably going to spend +/- $100 for a Holiday Inn Express outside the city anyway.

These performances, at the Kennedy Center, are free:
    http://www.kennedy-center.org/programs/millennium/schedule.html

Last edited: Jan 25, 2010
  11. L Cast

L Cast

Thanks for all of the good info, we are in the early stages of planning what to do. thanks again!

12. MavsX

MavsX The Dude Abides

dont forget about the Arlington national cemetery!! I try and go there twice a year. I live the tomb of the unknown soldier. Watching the changing of the guard is awesome. I've been going there every memorial day now. That is my personal favorite attraction.

The air and space museum is still in DC, it's older. They just built a new smithsonian air and space museum which is out at dulles airport. (so there are actually two air and space museums) It's like a 30 or 45 minute drive from DC. Not sure how you would get there. They filmed a few parts of transformers 2 there. I was there on one of the filming days. It was awesome. All of the other posters mentioned some cool tourists things to do. You could always stay in a hotel in Arlington, VA which is just west over the DC city line. It's like a mile away. You would ride the orange or blue lines into the city (metro/subway). It might be a little more expensive, but safer. Up to you. THe area that you will want to stay in is NW. meaning NW DC. that is where the tourists stuff is. Maybe you could google, "things to do in DC"?

The WW2 memorial is pretty cool. Obviously, the monument and lincoln memorial and others are pretty popular. Spy museum is new(within the last few years).

The whitehouse tour, and the us mint are really hard to get tickets. For the us mint, you have to show up at like 6 am and stand in line, then come back when it's time for your tour. So that is kind of a pain. I'm not sure if the whitehouse is open for tours or what right now. Sometimes if you know somebody they can get you in, not sure how you would go about getting inside.

Remember the summertime is like the highpoint for tourists, so just know that there are people everywhere. Also, it gets hot here. lol

good luck and have fun man.