close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

D-1 Target height?????

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by cmzneb, Dec 30, 2004.

1. cmzneb

cmzneb

About how high are the D-1 targets usually placed at GSSF matches?

I don't see a spec anywhere in their rules, and it seems like it varies some at different matches.

Maybe some of you guys who set up your own practice courses could share with me what height you place these targets.

Thanks!

2. WIG19

WIG19 Light left on

3. Pharaoh

Pharaoh

cmzneb

It vary's greatly from range to range. Each range has it's own special set of conditions. But generally 60" to the top of the D1.

Pharaoh:)

4. cmzneb

cmzneb

Thanks for your help!

5. lethal tupperwa

lethal tupperwa

Lexington!

The d-1 is the same size always.

But you will find that they come short Tall and in between.

Shoot the target not the space where it should be.

6. cmzneb

cmzneb

Put my target stands together, dang that seems low!!! (60" to the top of the D-1)

Maybe I just have the Oakdale 7' high targets still in my memory. :)

Thanks for the help!

7. WIG19

WIG19 Light left on

I've been told that was an aberration, done for safety considerations, although a Cessna on approach into Elko may have thought there was triple-A in the area. :joker:

8. Norske

Norske Millennium Member

There are four main considerations as to how high a target may be above the ground it stands on. (1) Is the range level? (2) Do the bullets HAVE to impact the impact berm itself or (3) does the host club care whether or not the bullets skip off the floor of the range first, and (4) can bullets impact into the side berms? In the case of Oakdale, the answers are (1) No, (2) Yes, (3) Yes, and (4) No. At Oakdale the "Five to Glock" is done on an NRA Bullseye range. From the concrete "slab" where the firing positions are the ground drops off into a distinct drainage "swale" for the first 12 or so yards and then slopes back "up" to about the same level at the 25 yard line. Further, there are Bullseye target apparatii at both 25 yards and 50 yards out from the shooting positions that they try to keep the bullets "up" and away from. From the shooting positions, the five targets appear to be more or less in the same "plane" set so, from the perspective of a man of average height, the bullets passing through the scoring rings all hit the impact berm directly and do not hit or skip off anything else first. That is why the tops of the 10 yard and 15 yard targets at OGC in particular end up about 7' or 8' above the ground they happen to be sitting upon. WIG19's picture, above, shows all of this very clearly (great picture, WIG19). If you have a range that is level all the way out to the impact berm and the host club does not care if bullets skip off the "floor" of the range first, a typical "quick and dirty" way to set the target height is to place the bottom of the targets "one target height above the ground". Since the targets are 30 inches tall, this puts the top of the target 60", or five feet, above the ground.

9. lethal tupperwa

lethal tupperwa

the point is that all set-ups do not allow the height to be the same.