CZ75 and clones

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by RWBlue, Dec 4, 2019.

1. DubfromGA

DubfromGA

Total agreement on all points !!!

I'm not a big fan of DA/SA guns.......but.....the CZ75 is a sweet gun. I prefer them to the Sigs.

As you said....they fit in hand really nicely and shoot well.

Low bore axis is nice.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Gary1911A1 likes this.
  2. cciman

cciman

I'm not here for "my mother is prettier than yours" debate. $200 saved out of $600 is a whopping 30%-- I'm all over that if I can get that ROI (return on investment).

A harbor freight wrench can turn that nut just as well as a Snap-off. Unless you are a professional and (think) you need that additional 30% value ???improvement??? in function.

Just sayin: I sold my GENUWINE CZ's and kept my Tristar, and Sars, and I'm good.

3. MD357

MD357

I'm not here for "my mother is prettier than yours" either.... whatever that means LOL... and by god you beat that chest about those Harbor Freight tools. I'm sure they're "jUsT aS gUUd" Funny thing is you just admitted you basically have no idea of the differences in internals. In which some of the knock offs can't be tuned as well as a CZ. That and some "knock offs" are more expensive and more refined. So they're not all the same, triggers aren't all the same, there are differences depending on the model.

That being said, If you need to save $200 I get it. Everything mentioned are great platforms, just relaying the reality that the differences aren't just cosmetic.

4. BOOSTED12A

BOOSTED12A

Also keep in mind some of the knock offs loose a lot in reSale. The CZ and baby eagle don't loose as much. If you buy used to start you'll brake even or even make a few$ if you hold onto it long enough. I e notice the Turkish knockoffs are the cheapest when it comes to used. I think I paied 250 otd for my shark with 2 mags, looked like it was shot only a few times. Didn't even have any wear on the mags yet. At the time a shark 55c was going for around 350. The 75b I have I got used, same story shot very little. It's a high polish stainless and they were hard to find at the time so I paied 600 or so for it and they were only going for 675 or so new. Only thing iv done to it is re polish to get all scratches out and add some.thi we blue plastic grips with as grip screws. There are a few time I've been tempted to polish the aluminum frame on my shark. My shark is my woods.gun so I don't think I'll be impressing anyone with it. My wife love to show off here tho!

5. RWBlue

RWBlue Mr. CISSP, CISA CLM

I bought harbor freight allen wrenches. I turned them. The screw didn't move and the wrench bent. I went and got my old (bought last century) craftsman wrenches and tightened the screw.

If you can't tell the difference in the quality of your tools.......

jmohme likes this.
  6. Scott60

Scott60

Straight outta the box a CZ-75B in either 9mm or .40S&W is a fine choice. They're "old school" all steel with 1980's "combloc" styling and some clever and interesting little quirks on how they go together and come apart that shows the difference between eastern thinking and western.
    Personally, the DA/SA with thumb safety IS the best choice for someone who might want to carry the gun for combat - or SD. Ergonomically the CZ is better than the 1911 - yes it is. This is only disturbed by the size 10 reach to the trigger in DA mode, but then CZ never intended the gun be carried hammer down, that's why they included a thumb safety! With the hammer back, TS applied the "feel" of a CZ in the hand is excellent! The DA feature is more of a "second strike" option than a primary carry and with the B model's firing pin block it's totally safe to carry "cocked and locked". Also the thumb safety on the CZ is better located for sweeping off with the shooting hand thumb for those who use that technique. I tend to prefer to sweep the safety off using my support hand because the gun is fully "up" when the safety is coming off and first round out speed isn't impeded. Another plus is the support thumb can be held down on the safety as an impromptu "accelerator pedal" to help control muzzle lift. Yes the CZ trigger reset in SA is longer...no factory guns I know of come with a 1911-esque reset without work being done, but, the SA pull is reasonable and anyone who CAN shoot, can shoot the center out of a bullseye at 20 yards.
    CZ75B 556x24 safety on.jpg CZ75B556x24 mag out.jpg
    At first blush the CZ appears to have a Rube-Goldbergishly complex mechanism, but once you see how to disassemble the the thing it becomes fun - and easy. Of course one can - and it appears popular, to convert a DA/SA to SAO with a fancy flat trigger and a razor-blade thin reset which is perfectly fine for those who want to go that way. But the out of the box configuration is plenty good for most needs and wants.
    The only "mod" done to my CZ-75B .40S&W was to toss the flimsy polymer guide rod and fabricate a massive 1/4" solid steel horizontal "stud" from a Grade 8 SS hex bolt that required drilling out the pin-head size opening through the nose of the slide but made the gun much better for shooting super-hot .40S&W hand loads. But the BEST modification to date was fitting an Armscor MAPP FS .22TCM9R barrel which was virtually a drop-in job save for extending the extractor slot in the barrel downward to accommodate the CZ extractor. Converted to .22TCM9R and able to shoot .22TCM9R and 5.56x24 interchangeably, the CZ now holds 17+1 standard capacity or 19+1 with a +2 Mec-Gar extension, and is a TOTALLY DIFFERENT GUN! The TCM can be fired so quickly the muzzle barely moves as 40 grain slugs sizzle out the barrel at speeds approaching 2,100 fps (hand loads)!

The next suggestion would be either or both of Rock Island's MAPP series in FS and MS. These are polymer frame versions of the CZ-75 albeit with changes - all good save for the front sight being integral to the slide versus the CZ where the front is pinned and rear dovetailed in. Other than the polymer frame, operation and parts are similar to the parent design. The polymer frame eliminates the long DA trigger reach and a full pull isn't bad, though even better is to set the hammer at half-cock and do a 1/2DA pull for 1st shot, the SA, or just use the thumb-safety for C&L carry. The smaller grip size fits the hand perfectly and of course drops weight to 30 ounces for the FS and 26 ounces for the MS. The pistols come in 9mm and in non-commie States in .22TCM9R. got mine in 9mm and installed FS and MS .22TCM9R barrels in both. All three pistols take the CZ-75B magazine and so have identical capacity and of course interchangeability. Finish is superior to the CZ branded version and both come with FL SS guide rods and simple take down procedure. As with the CZ, the Rock Island MAPP pistols are fine in 9mm but become the guns they should be with conversion to .22TCM9R/5.56x24.
    RIA MAPP FS RS.JPG RIA MAPP FS SO.JPG
    What I LIKE about the CZ design for SD is they are hammer fired with 2SC and in TCM caliber have very light slide return springs so the hammer ensures the slide is fully into battery as opposed to the Glock system converted to .22TCM9R where the lighter slide return spring and slide must also partially cock the striker on closing sapping energy from the system. BOTH work perfectly, but that SA trigger let off on the CZ design is just more fun to shoot. From a cost standpoint - here in California, the RIA MAPP is very attractively priced - $395 on Bud's so around $500 when tax, tag, and title are added at the grocery store. Authentic CZ prices are somewhat steeper - mine was around $575 on Bud's with the expected tax, DROS, and xsfer feed added on.

Having said all that, the CZ-75B is much like the 1911 in being "the real thing" in it's own class and of course all-steel which will pretty much last forever. Also, while not nearly as extensive as the 1911 aftermarket, the CZ aftermarket offers plenty of parts and alterations to dial a CZ in more so than the already solid performer it is.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2019
    Cambo likes this.
  7. bac1023

bac1023

Well you’re comparing a specific model to a design, so no, it’s much the same. If you said a CZ 75 is much like a Colt 1911, you would be onto something.

Also, much like Colt 1911’s, there are far better built examples and higher quality of the CZ design than the original.

8. BuckyP

BuckyP Lifetime Member

I disagree with this first sentence (assuming you’re comparing to a 1911). If your thumbs are average or shorter, the CZ thumb safety can be a stretch. Also, the traditional levers don't have much of a ledge. Even a milspec 1911 safety has enough ledge to make a positive. The big levers that come with, but not on, my Shadow 2 are pretty nice, but still a bit of a reach for me.

Also, I’m trying to picture what kind of grip you’re using if you are riding a thumb safety with your support hand. :headscratch: