CZ vs. Sig

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by JGguns, Feb 21, 2010.

1. JGguns

JGguns

I am getting a new 9mm in the next week or so. My needs for this gun is basically a home protection(this would be my third line of defense though) and range shooting. So I have 2 options to choose from (I am getting one of the 2) First is a West german Sig P228 with nightsites, or a BNIB CZ SP-01 Tactical. I like both of them alot and cant figure out wich one to get. The sig is used in probly 90% with a 1991 date code, it would be ablout 75 bucks less than the cz.

Anyone own the cz tactical and have some input? I know some of you own the 228 so feel free to chime in. Thanks fellas

2. Andrewsky

Andrewsky

Sorry, I can't comment on the SP-01. The closest CZ to the P228 is the P-01. They are almost identical dimensionally. I've shot both back-to-back 3 times.

The Sig has better sights, is much easier to field strip, and has an arguably better trigger. The CZ has a much better finish, less felt recoil and muzzle flip, and better ergonomics.

For me, the CZ is a clear winner.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2010

3. JGguns

JGguns

I would imagine the 01 would have even less recoil, it is a tank for sure.

4. EJP

EJP

CZ for me. I like the Sig (its a great pistol for sure!) but the SP-01 is just amazing.

5. rfd339

rfd339

For $75 more I would go new and get the CZSP01.

6. Free Radical

Free Radical Miembro Antiguo CLM

I won't venture which is the best for you, but I will say that CZ has the better ergonomics.

7. dnuggett

dnuggett PRO 2A

Are you able to handle/shoot both before making a decision? If this gun is part of your defense plan you really should do that. It's impossible for us to tell you which one is better for you. I carry a Sig 229, but the CZ is a nice pistol as well.

8. Whazoo

Whazoo

I think the Sig is of slightly higher quality than the CZ - the bore axis is slightly higher so it will seem to recoil more...but it's a 9mm and very soft shooting.

9. SeeJohnLikeSig&Glock

SeeJohnLikeSig&Glock

They are both excellent guns. I do give the edge to the sig.

The important thing is to try both out yourself. THere has already been one poster say the CZ has better ergos. For me the sig has better ergos. Actually to me, it isnt even close, the sig is better. So you need to decide that yourself and not leave that to us internet experts.

To me the sig 229r beats the cz in every measurable catagory, except one...price. It is more ergonomic, it is more accurate, it has better fit and finish, and the trigger is better.

The 228 is gonna be at least as good as the newer 229. Some die hard sig fans think it is even better. The 228 will be a very little bit lighter, and will not have the nitron finish. It will be a stamped steel slide instead of the milled stainless steel slide on the newer 229. It is becoming a somewhat desirable gun as they are only making them in limited numbers (a 228R version just came out).

All of that said, even though I prefer sig, the cz is a fine gun and I wouldnt feel underarmed with one.

10. SeeJohnLikeSig&Glock

SeeJohnLikeSig&Glock

re: bore axis

In .40 cal....
    sig 229 - high bore axis
    g23 - low bore axis
    The sig 229 has less muzzle rise than the g23.

In 9mm...
    sig 229r - high bore axis
    g19 - low bore axis
    the sig 229 has a lot less muzzle rise.

In shooting a cz75, beretta 92fs, and sig 226 side by side, I cant tell any difference in muzzle rise at all. Throw a g19 with very low bore axis in there and there is sharp rise in percieved muzzle flip.

Other factors influence muzzle rise like wieght, grip, springs, frame-to-slide rail types, ammo, and many more...all affect muzzle rise more in my experience.

11. Andrewsky

Andrewsky

This thread does not have enough pictures.

P-01 and P228:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 21, 2010
  12. GVIFlyer

GVIFlyer Senior Member

I have both. I believe my Sigs to be of higher quality than my CZs - with the exception of my Valor. I also prefer the Sig's ergonomics to those of the CZs.

13. raven11

raven11

here is my Sig 228, i put about 300-400 rnds since getting it last year and its been 100% reliable, because of the smoothness of the DA and SA trigger it really makes you want to keep buying SIGs. i haven't found a pistol outside of custom shop models with a better trigger, mine was a Zurich police trade in, it came with three mags, night sights, hogue grips, and a cleaning kit
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. Andrewsky

Andrewsky

Don't tell me how much you paid for it. I will be sad.:crying:

15. raven11

raven11

its a bad time to admit I failed psychology

i paid $479.00 shipping was free

16. big68

big68

Can you flip a coin? Get both! Seriously, either one is gonna be a great purchase.

17. 22highcaps

22highcaps

I have a P229R and an SP01.

The SIG will have the better out of the box trigger. The CZ will have less muzzle flip and recoil. I find accuracy I find to be a wash. If you are going to carry the gun the get the SIG out of the two guns you mentioned. The CZ is too heavy. However, if you are going to carry, then consider the SP01 phantom as it is of similar weight to the SIG.

18. B_RAD

B_RAD

I have the SP01 and I like it a lot. Though it's currently for sale. Not because it's not a killer gun. I've only handled Sig's and have never liked them. The CZ is heavy but feels good to handle and shoot. I don't have any complaints about the CZ. I want a G17, G34 or a 1911 in 9mm since I have a G19 and several 1911's. The CZ is my 3rd line of defense just like your saying and for me is kinda of a odd ball. Great gun though.

19. UniversalBrow06

UniversalBrow06

I think in general Sig and CZ compete very well. It's a good match up, better than the usual Sig vs. HK. If it's a 228 though, I think I'd prefer the CZ. Both are nice guns though.

20. ca0617

ca0617

Youknow i have always just gone with what feels best. Yes quality is a very big part of it. Cz and sig are very close in that aspect. I chose sig simply because it feels so damn right in my hand. Shoot a hundred to a hundred and fifty out of each. Pick the one your most accurate with and feels the best.