Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are CZ pistols more prone to spring breakage? There are companies promoting more durable springs for them in a way you don't hear with other brands.

Yes... I get that all pistols of all brands need their regular spring changes. But it seems there's more internet chatter about needing to replace CZ springs.

What say the collective minds of GT?

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
I’ve been shooting CZ’s for years . They are no different from any other semi auto pistol when it comes to springs .

·
M62/76
12,564 Posts
Just companies trying to make money...folks will buy anything.

Reactions: Sniff

·
Registered
126,365 Posts
Are CZ pistols more prone to spring breakage? There are companies promoting more durable springs for them in a way you don't hear with other brands.

Yes... I get that all pistols of all brands need their regular spring changes. But it seems there's more internet chatter about needing to replace CZ springs.

What say the collective minds of GT?
CZ has pretty decent aftermarket support now in general compared to some years back.

·
Registered
3,128 Posts
Is there a problem with Glock barrels? There’s companies promoting changing barrels that I don’t hear with other brands.

·
MacGyver
7,600 Posts
Yeah, but they are extremely difficult to change out - specifically the trigger return spring and the sear pack spring. They both are positioned under tension, 2 legged torsion springs, and fixed with roll pins, and like to fly into the reaches of your workroom as you are doing it. (Not cheap either when you lose them).

Roll Pins, everywhere. Make sure your slave helper pin fits through the main holes before commiting (Hah, how fun that is).
You need octopus hands. Enjoy tappy tap tapping with your 3rd and 4th hands as you hold the trigger return spring in position.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Gl
Is there a problem with Glock barrels? There’s companies promoting changing barrels that I don’t hear with other brands.
True...but with Glock barrels...it's not about durability. The after market barrels are primarily to be able to shoot unjacketed lead bullet...which Glock has upfront said not to use. The other reason for the after market barrels are for greater accuracy. But for most mortals...Glock stock pistols are more accurate than the shooter.

I like Glocks and also realized that they could improve on some things. But durability that affects the function of the gun.. is not something you hear complaints about. (Glock can come out with more durable sights...but that doesn't affect the gun going "bang".)

My question was that of durability, specifically of springs. I don't hear much internet chatter of replacing prone to break trigger springs with other guns in the same way I hear about them with CZs.

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
I have also heard complaints about the CZ-75 trigger return spring breaking. Don't know if it is only a high round count issue but do a search and it comes up.

·
Registered
3,128 Posts
Gl

True...but with Glock barrels...it's not about durability. The after market barrels are primarily to be able to shoot unjacketed lead bullet...which Glock has upfront said not to use. The other reason for the after market barrels are for greater accuracy. But for most mortals...Glock stock pistols are more accurate than the shooter.
I have fired many thousands of cast bullets from many Glocks without a problem.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have fired many thousands of cast bullets from many Glocks without a problem.
I believe you. I have friends who do the same with no I'll effect.

·
Registered
7,714 Posts
I shot three of them the other day. Those CZ pistols are very well-made. I'm sure the factory springs are better than that aftermarket stuff aimed at competition-whiz-bang-gimmick buyers!

·
On the Border
15,282 Posts
The TRS is way more prone to breaking than a Glock's trigger spring. I've had it happen twice with my Tanfo's. They are somewhat difficult to replace when the gun is fully disassembled, but not very hard with it assembled. I've done one in the bay in about 5 minutes, but I use floating pins.

Tanfo and CZ take the same TRS. Be aware that reduced TRS's have shorter lifespans. And of course also that dry fire counts toward wear. Generally speaking, CZ's are a bit easier to work on than Tanfo's.

15/20k should be a pretty reasonable interval for the TRS.

I'm using OE TRS's and lightened sear springs. Have not had a sear spring fail yet. My older one is at about 40k live, so probably 100k total.

It probably makes sense to just take the whole gun apart on this interval. But definitely is a good idea to practice doing the TRS with the gun assembled, JIC.

·
MacGyver
7,600 Posts
I'm not sure why having it assembled makes a difference on the TRS-- since it is much easier to just remove the entire trigger to set the spring inside it, and use a slave installation pin, and not have to work inside the recesses of the frame. I agree that using a FREE FLOAT trigger pin makes a huge difference on making the job 5x easier-- without it, it is a PIA.

Back to the OP question _ I would agree that the risk of TRS (trigger return spring breakage) is higher since it is a 2 legged torsion spring, rather than a stretch or compression spring-- one of the legs will snap over time.

This BTW is a project, I recently did on my CZ Clones (Tristar, Canik). Using factory components, you have to be happy with a heavy DA/SA pull.

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Probably should post this question on general Glocking forum. What does Glock barrel have to do with this thread?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts