CZ P07 long term review

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by Cambo, Nov 19, 2019.

1. Cambo

Cambo

Here is my long term review of my CZ P07. I purchased it in 2017, soon after I moved back to NJ from TX. For awhile, the P07 and the P09 were the only two guns in my collection.

It has probably 5 thousand rounds through it, and it was modified by me with Cajun Gun Works internal parts in 2017.

Appearance: Basic black for the moment, and has a decent shape to it. I sometimes consider getting the frame Cerakoted in crushed silver to match the P09, but for now black will do. 8 out of 10, for a polymer gun.

Sights: Stock set up are 3 dot sights that glow when charged by light. I changed them on both the P07 and P09 to a black rear / front red fiber optic combo that I like much better. 5 out of 10 for the stock set up, 8 out of 10 for black / fiber combo. It should be noted it is difficult to swap them out, hence the 2 point subtraction.

Grip: Very comfortable, among the best I have owned or shot. The interchangeable back straps help. Points very well. 9 out of 10, judging by Browning Hi Power standards.

Takedown / Re-assembly: Easy, just like all CZs. 9 out of 10, missing 1 point for not being as simple as other designs.

Recoil: Not as good as the P09, but not bad. Tight double taps are possible with a strong grip, and good trigger timing. I am tempted to get Primary Machine match grade threaded barrels and compensators for both guns, but each would cost about $320.00 a piece. Anyone thinking about doing the same, and who doesn't own one yet, should buy the factory threaded barrel models, and just buy the comp separately. 7 out of 10.

Safety / De-cocker: Mine is set as a de-cocker (you can go with one or the other), and it is super convenient to hit after chambering the 1st round. 10 out of 10.

Double Action Trigger: Cajun Gun Works makes the double action trigger a 10 out of 10. I have never had so much confidence in a DA trigger, and when I'm "in the zone", I don't even notice the transition to SA. 10 out of 10.

Single Action Trigger: Again, the Cajun system makes this a 10 out of 10. Minimal take up, slightly firm wall, crisp break, tight reset.

Reliability: Outstanding, the P07 has never let me down in 5,000 + rounds. 10 out of 10.

Accuracy: Again, not as good as the P09, but regular 25 yard head shots are doable. Definitely the most accurate compact gun I have shot, in the Glock 19 size range. 7 out of 10 compared to the P09, 10 out of 10 if comparing to competing compacts.

Verdict: This is not my favorite CZ, but I will never part with it. It's drawbacks are minimal, and only noticeable to someone like me who likes full size, big 9mm pistols. On that note, when I have taken clients shooting, they all have preferred the P07 to the P09, citing it's smaller, more together size as the factor.

1L26, dj45, grecco and 4 others like this.
  2. checkyoursix

checkyoursix

Thank you for the reviews, interesting.

One suggestion: if could you rate actions before and after swapping parts, it would be useful to people who either can't afford or are not mechanically inclined as to swap the parts themselves.

Also, add the cost please. Toying with CW adds up to the cost of the pistol and puts them in a different price range than the originals.

Not surprised your clients preferred the size, to me that is the goldilocks zone of pistol, where many great firearms play. P30, Glock 19, the list could go on and on but it's there.

grecco and bruscifer like this.

3. checkyoursix

checkyoursix

In a different post, my experience with the P07: It was OK, but it was not quite as stellar, since I compared it every time with the Sphinx SDP and it did not survive the comparison.

While I liked it, I thought that once the extra cost to cajunize it was added to the original cost I would rather have two SDP's than one SDP and one P07, and I did.

Found the trigger out of the box crude, and the overall construction felt inferior to the P30 and also the Beretta Px4 in many ways. Both seemed more solid and sturdy as a carry and combat pistol.

Controls were excellent, sights OK but to be replaced, actions to be upgraded. Lots of work and money for an OK gun, so I sold it and moved on.

4. TheDreadnought

TheDreadnought

I found mine to be "OK" as well. I couldn't reach my thumb around the decocker to drop the slide. Couldn't get what I wanted for it, so now it's a "truck gun."

5. Kennydale

Kennydale

Being a STRIKER snob. I have shot some SA/DA Sigs and did not particularly enjoy my results! But the higher-end CZ(Cajunized) P07 0r P09 interest me ( as does the Langdon Tactical Beretta PX4 Compact Carry). Not having the Spare $ at this time (Retired). I am happy to upgrade my existing Glocks. Though one day I might get a Lotto win & either of those fine firearms will get acquired.

Cambo likes this.
  6. Cambo

Cambo

Cost of P07 was $450. Sights were $80. CGW parts were about $230. There is no one who is worse mechanically inclined than me. I did it using Joe L (or Joe Mustang's) YouTube videos.

grecco and checkyoursix like this.
  7. Cambo

Cambo

Different hand sizes, finger lengths, proportions I guess.

Gfive45 likes this.
  8. Cambo

Cambo

I like the Sphinx, and would probably own one if it wasn't for the recurve trigger.

9. Quijibo

Quijibo King Doofus.

Thanks for the review. I've been a big fan of CZ for decades, but mine have always been steel. I'm going to check out a P09 this week.

Cambo likes this.
  10. Cambo

Cambo

You won't be disappointed. Even stock ones can be awesome. I am so attached to mine, I keep trying to justify buying another one.

11. TheDreadnought

TheDreadnought

I guess. The decocker sticks out quite a ways and I don’t want to have to stretch/think about dropping the slide on a reload. I should be able to brush it with ease without thinking about it.

If you have a freakishly long thumb and can do that, more power to you. Or use the overhand method, but that’s not my preferred approach.

12. Cambo

Cambo

I understand. I can hit it with a light flick. There are numerous handgun designs that aren't proper for me, and I know CZ isn't for everybody. You have to use what works best for you.

13. Gfive45

Gfive45

Thank you for the review.

Cambo likes this.
  14. bac1023

bac1023

Great summary

Thanks for sharing

Cambo likes this.