CZ 75D PCR - Ideal DA/SA CCW Pistol?

Discussion in 'CZ Club' started by MoRivera, Feb 7, 2017.

1. MoRivera

MoRivera

So recently I've been looking to adopt a compact/midsize DA/SA pistol for concealed carry...specifically for appendix carry. Of the pistols I have, there were two candidates I was considering.....the Sig P225A-1 and the CZ P-07.

The P225A-1 is ideal in a lot of ways, but was a) a bit heavy for b) carrying so few rounds (8). But it is nice and slender and has a really smooth DA pull.

The CZ P-07 is actually lighter than the P225A-1, but since I live in CT we are limited to 10-rd magazines. Not much more than the P225A-1, but despite being a double-stack, the grip is actually very slender, a bit moreso than the P225A-1 and very much like a 1911's. The DA pull is a bit heavy and notchy, but it is a very short throw. Only thing is, the slide is quite wide and chunky, and with ambi decocking levers kind of felt like a brick in the waistband even though the grip itself is nice and slim.

So it was looking like the P225A-1...but then I decided to give this a try.....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The CZ 75 PCR in 9mm....basically a CZ 75 Compact with an alloy frame. It's actually lighter than the polymer-framed P-07. Changing the stock rubber grips to these Cool Hand G10's also slimmed the grip down quite bit so it's basically a wash with the P-07's.

There's only a left-side decocker and the slide is quite slim, so the pistol itself lays considerably more slender inside the waistband than the P-07.

(P-07 left, PCR right)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Triggerwise, compared to the P-07, the DA pull is a bit smoother and lighter, and doesn't stack as much as the P-07's , which has CZ's 'Omega' system. In terms of the SA pull, it's light and crisp with a more distinct break point than the P-07, which seems to just roll through the break. The PCR also points more naturally for me than the P-07, which points a bit high.

At the range, the pistol shot fine with no hiccups...I started off not to well as I was getting used to the feel, but got much better after a few mags. It's a bit rough, but I'm confident it will smooth out rather soon, and I like how the decocker functions. It looks like it's a keeper, but there are a few niggles....

- I don't like the stock sights at all. They feel very small and hard to pick up for me, and I never like that circular 'shelf' on the rear sight like on some Berettas. Going to switch these out for either the CZ Meprolights or the TruGlo TFX.

[​IMG]

- I like their black finish, seems tough and solid like Beretta's 'Bruniton', but the frame is basically left unfinished on the inside. I know these pistols are supposed to be affordable, but this just looks shoddy.

[​IMG]

- The rails and barrel already came with some wear, and this was a brand new pistol. This one didn't bother me much at all, but altogether with the above, there are some things to consider.

[​IMG]

- Last thing is takedown is a bit of a pain. At least for now you really need the assistance of a tool or something hard to pop that slidelock/pin out. And to get it back in....you know how you're always told not to force something, especially when it comes to parts/components? Well...you have to force the crap out of this. Maybe it will ease up over time.

The grips I have now are Cool Hand 'Sunburst' pattern G10 grips, which you can find on Amazon or eBay. Really like this texture...aside from the cool look, it has great grip but doesn't catch on clothing like checkering can. It's grippy but not abrasive or tacky...perfect for concealed carry. I have some VZ Frag-pattern grips coming, but I think I'll stick with these. Also have a Vedder IWB Kydex holster on the way.

I got the pistol for $569 off of a dealer on Gunbroker. No-one in my state had any, but this is pretty much going price in most places. Still pretty good for an all-metal DA/SA pistol, and about going price on a new Glock Gen 4 around here.

CZ's seem to be growing in popularity these days...I knew of them back in the 90's but never bought one. Never quite seemed on the level of Sigs or Berettas (at least the non-target CZ's). And based on this pistol, it still seems that way to me. It is still a very nice, robust pistol that I'm willing to depend on for self-defense without hesitation. But if you get the impression that you are getting something that's up to the same level of fit and finish as a Sig or even a Beretta 92, for hundreds less, it's not quite that.

But if that sounds like a knock, it's not. It's still a good buy, an elegant little pistol and maybe the best of its format in terms of size/weight/firepower. It's basically the size of the classic Beretta 84, but a bit slimmer and in 9mm rather than .380....and who wouldn't like that?

I'm looking to make it my main concealed carry pistol...and that's about as high a recommendation as I can think of.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2017
    tln1313 and kdj70 like this.
  2. ARP

ARP

The first round I fired with mine @ 7 yards hit dead center. I put a Meprolight from CZ front sight and blacked out the rears. I might have a front Meprolight available for sale, I'm thinking about putting FO Dawson on my 75B.

MoRivera likes this.

3. ModGlock17

ModGlock17

Sometimes ago, I was looking for the P-01 (practically same as PCR ?) but they are very hard to find. Then I got to think that in the unlikely event of a shooting, the $500+ gun would be in evidence and probably all scratched up by the time it got return. So the point in CCW is Reliability, Fit, and Cheap.

I found the TriStar C-100, a copy of P-01. Almost identical, and uses the same springs. It costs $329 at AcademySport. To me, that's a perfect CCW. To my surprise, the finish on C-100 is extremely well done. Other than that, Fit and Function are the same.

Then after that, I found a gun shop in Lincoln, Nebraska who emailed me back and claimed to have 25 P-01 in stock. PM me if anyone interested in their phone number. They obviously had trouble moving all that stock.

I can hit the 4" orange clay discs on the side of a berm, from 20 yards, four out of five shots. The C-100, or the P-01 design is very accurate, certainly more than you'd need in most SD situations.

4. MoRivera

MoRivera

I was also considering the P-01, but wanted the slightly lighter weight and non-rail dustcover of the PCR. I am interested, however, in a full-size/railed SP-01 possibly for competition.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2017
  5. ModGlock17

ModGlock17

The SP-01 is the best gun I have ever owned. With 4-spring replacement and some polish work, the trigger is ever so excellent (to me).

Now, at 20yards, I may miss one out of 16 in the mag. I could never do that with G17, G34, G29, Sig Sauer, or M9 (I was actually frustrated with them). In fact, I shoot better with the C-100 than any of the above guns, at 20 yards.

Such experience reinforced my trust in them. It's like they were designed for me. Holding one in hand imparts a feeling of high confidence, of something Solid, of something Highly Reliable and Consistent.

6. MoRivera

MoRivera

Here are some comparisons between the CZ PCR (left) and the Sig P225A-1....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Notice just how slender the CZ PCR can get for its capacity. But also, look at the sights compared to the Sig's! I have a set of Mepro's on the way.

Gen IV likes this.
  7. ARP

ARP

You might be a bit disappointed with the size of the Mepros, but i'll leave that up to you to decide. The Sigs look huge compared to your photo. The Mepro I ordered and received from CZ were not that much larger than the stock sights.

8. MoRivera

MoRivera

Thanks for the heads-up. I'll know as soon as I see them and can return them (ordered through Amazon) if I don't like them. Then I'll probably go with the TruGlo's.

In this pic, there are the same Mepro Tru Dot's that I ordered...if they are like this, I'll be good with them....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 8, 2017
  9. BuckyP

BuckyP Lifetime Member

I was looking at a CZ Compact on Monday, and have to admit I was quite tempted. That looks very cool, and didn't release their slimness.

Congrats.

10. MoRivera

MoRivera

The PCR is a tiny bit wider than the regular Compact the frame probably to compensate for the aluminum vs. steel. But it's hardly noticeable and still very slim overall. It's definitely slimmer than the CZ P-07 or any Sig that I own, and feels even more slender than the Glock 19.

11. DWARREN123

DWARREN123 Grumpy Old Guy

I have the compact and like it a lot. I painted the front sight with a big white dot and the sights work well for me.
    Nice size pistol. I also have the CZ85B and CZ75B matte stainless, CZ's are great pistols.

12. python357

python357 Old Fart in training

13. MoRivera

MoRivera

With VZ Grips 'Frag' pattern, olive/black......

[​IMG]

These are even thinner than the Cool Hand ones. I think I'm sticking with these. Having an older-style/less recurved trigger and Mepro night sights installed this week, and also got a Vedder Light Tuck IWB holster which works great AIWB.

chemboy and TScottW99 like this.
  14. trozau

trozau troy ounce gold

My CZ P-01 with Cocobolo grips is one of my favorites...

[​IMG]

MoRivera likes this.
  15. MoRivera

MoRivera

Now with old-style (less recurve) trigger...which is much more comfortable...and Mepro night sights which stand out much better.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 17, 2017
    J Lee and TScottW99 like this.
  16. MoRivera

MoRivera

Okay, so a few words about holsters, and something that those who either have or plan to get a PCR may want to know about. In particular, an IWB holster...and in my case, an AIWB.

I got a Vedder LightTuck IWB kydex holster....

[​IMG]

Very good quality, convenient holster...easy to use and remove. I got it for appendix carry. I have a similar type holster for my Springfield XDs and it works great. The only thing is...the CZ PCR, despite having a pretty compact overall profile and narrow slide, has a slide lock lever that sticks out on both sides.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Might not seem like a whole lot, but because of this, a kydex holster has to have channels for clearance...like for the front sight along the top edge. So in one area basically down the middle, those channels add a good 1/2-inch-plus to the overall thickness of the holster right near the opening where it lays under the beltline.

And that still isn't that huge of a deal...BUT...the design of the LighTuck places the belt clip right in that area as well. So overall it causes this width that sticks out a little over 2-inches once you have it IWB. Nota problem on a gun like a Glock or XDs that has a flush, nearly featureless slide/frame line. But with those extra channels for the CZ PCR's slide lock, it's like turning a block corner-wise under your belt.

I was able to take an extra C-clip that I had from a Bladetech kit and some extra screws with longer lengths, use the tension adjustment screw hole and make another to fit the new clip on over the narrower width of triggerguard. So even though the channels and mounting area of the original belt clip are still there, the whole holster fits much more narrowly under the belt since the belt clip isn't right over the channels.

(left belt clip: original...right belt clip: new....)

[​IMG]

Here are comparisons with (badly-) drawn-in 'virtual' belts to give you an idea of the differences in how they lay under the belt.....

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Even with the channels for the slidelock, the belt lays over the overall profile pretty slimly and hugs the gun tight, whereas the old way really jutted out.

So for those who are interested in carrying this gun IWB, I would recommend a holster that has the clip over the triggerguard like how this was modified. I ordered another from Cook's that is designed like this already, but the modified Vedder works so well now that I might just return it.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 16, 2017
    tln1313 likes this.
  17. J Lee

J Lee

I had a PCR and really liked it except for the sights(slide cut) which is now fixable with more aftermarket options available. My oldest son and daughter-in-law kept drooling over it to the point they now have it. Bought a P-01 recently and like it just as much except for the trigger. Once I get a 85C trigger for it and a few more upgrades, could move to my CC gun. CZs are great. The PCR is a great CC handgun. Wouldn't mind having another one.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2017
  18. Csv

Csv

Great write up. I really like my PCR and want to carry it appendix but haven't ordered a holster. The width of the slide lock was the first thing I noticed when I tried with a crummy holster and belt clip. The mod you did is perfect, you would think companies would put the clip there.

19. Groo01

Groo01

Groo here
    I have 1911"s,Sigs ,Brownings,glocks,S&W's , And a PCR.
    Is it a single stack,,,NO.
    Is it heavy like a 1911 ,,no
    Is it light like a Glock,,,no
    Is it accurate ,,, Yes
    Is it lighter than a 1911,,,yes
    Is it tuff,,, OH Yes [can you say +P+]
    Does it "Fit" ??????????????
    That is up to you ,BUT, I have not found anyone who says it does not feel
    "Good", Unlike many double stacks.
    Quality is in the eye of the user, and I am keeping this one for my
    +P,+P+ shooter.

20. MoRivera

MoRivera

A holster I recently got for the PCR is made by Cook....

https://www.cooksholsters.com/appendix-carry-inside-waist-band-holster/

It is available in a thinner .60 Kydex and comes with the belt clip positioned over the trigger area. It tucks and conceals very well, but it is a bit sharp in the lower corner. Easy to file/grind down, but still needs some modding. The .60 thickness is definitely too thin for an OWB but holds up well for IWB. I keep the modded Vedder stowed away as a backup.

tln1313 and Csv like this.