CZ 75b vs Omega

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by Pier23, Oct 2, 2014.

1. Pier23

Pier23

Finally started lurking on the CZ website and saw the Omega variant of the 75 for about $80 less than the CZ "Classic".

Is the Omega with the "simplified, more robust" trigger system more better for less, or is the "Classic" the way I want to go for my first CZ?

I am interested in just all-metal, full-size right now.

Thx for thoughts!!

2. bac1023

bac1023

I like the classic 75B better, but the Omega is a great shooter as well.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2014

3. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

I just bought the CZ75B Omega. Haven't shot it yet, hopefully tomorrow, but I can tell you that out of the box, the Omega trigger pulls - SA and DA, are cleaner. Smoother, slightly lighter and break more crisp.

The guns are exactly the same otherwise, except the Omega has the Greek "Omega" letter on the slide.

Omega on top, regular at the bottom. I really love the mirror polished finish on the stainless steel model, but I've just seen the satin SS model and it's also elegant as heck. I can see myself buying another 75B now (currently, 1-blued, 1-two tones, 2-mirror SS, 1-Omega).

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. BenjiEDF

BenjiEDF

I'm curious too, I've wanted a CZ for a long time now but don't know which one to get.

5. Pier23

Pier23

May I ask why the preference for the 75?

Were I to guess, it would be because of your preference for original designs vs the "new, improved" replacements.

Coming new to CZs, I see the charm of "CZ Classic" and can also see how a simplified CZ could be seen as a "CZGlock".

OTOH, not all changes are bad, and there is much to be said for simplicity...

:dunno:

6. Pier23

Pier23

Thanks for the first impression! Since you have both versions, I anxiously await your field report!!

7. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

Unless something's mechanically wrong with the Omega such as misfabricated dimensions, it should shoot the same as the other CZ75Bs. I have yet to see any of my 75Bs shot better than their peers.

The Omega trigger is better but I don't think better enough to truly make a difference.

8. Pier23

Pier23

What interested me is the Omega being about $80 less than the "Classic". The CZ site mentions fewer parts and easier detail stripping which can be code for lower toleranced modular construction OR a rethinking of a needlessly-complex system that gives better functionality with fewer parts to malf...one never knows.... <sigh>

9. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

I think that it's a new trigger mechanism. I believe that this Omega trigger is being featured in the other pistol lines too. So, yes, modularity/simplification does mean less cost to produce and at least CZ is passing on the cost saving to the consumers.

10. Wishoot

Wishoot

I can tell you that my 75B Omega has been fantastic over several years of ownership and many thousands of rounds. I believe it was some kind of military or police overrun for the Mexican government or something like that. Picked it up BNIB for around $399.

Wouldn't trade it for anything. Other than replacing a recoil spring (didn't really need to), I've only had to field strip it to clean periodically.

Eats everything. Ridiculously accurate. Loads of fun. Uses SP01 mags. Great ergonomics. Can't ask for much more.

11. Pier23

Pier23

Hmmm...i thought the Omega was a new offering...as in months or year or so old. Didn't know it has been out for a while.

Interesting that CZ is keeping both versions around.

12. papershoot

papershoot

I don't own a CZ yet, but have a couple clones. I lurk on the CZ forum some. There is a wealth of CZ specific knowledge there. Here is an example of a thread where the poster is asking "Omega or not?":
    http://www.czfirearms.us/index.php?topic=66853.0
    Some of the members are experts like Stuart with CZ Custom and David with Cajun Gun Works. These guys specialize in custom CZ gunsmithing and parts. From my reading, a downside to the Omega might be if you wanted to customise your trigger, there would be fewer options. If you search Omega on the site, I hope you will find what you need.

13. Pier23

Pier23

Thanks, PS. Good lead and good info. Think I will go Omega when I get ready to pull the CZ trigger. I am not big into customization, so I am likely giving up an option I will never miss.

14. bac1023

bac1023

You guessed right, my friend. :)

I actually love the standard CZ 75 the best, meaning a pre B model from Czechoslovakia. Here's my 1985 commie model straight out of the cold war. :cool:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

Not to mention if you were to want one with a badass competition grade trigger, then why get the basic model then dump an assload of money into it instead of just getting one of those competition models?

The Omega trigger is plenty good for its intended purposes. Better than plenty good.

16. drifter2be

drifter2be

I've shot both, the SA pull on the Omega feels better than the SA on the standard model. Feels like it doesn't have to cam the hammer as much, after the take up in the trigger it just breaks, whereas the standard model has to cam the hammer slightly before it breaks. I thought that the DA pull was slightly smoother, but insignificantly heavier than the standard model.

When I get around to buying one I will be buying the Omega model 75 and will be adding the Cajun Gun Works spring upgrade: http://cajungunworks.com/ultra-lite.html which is supposed to get the DA trigger pull into the 9# range. Was actually going to order mine today until I found a killer deal on a new Walther P99AS on gunbroker.

17. Pier23

Pier23

It is a looker!

Hoe does the Commie Classic compare to the NewGen B and the Omegas?

18. Pier23

Pier23

OK, I am getting pumped!

Now I just gotta get the whole job/income thing sorted out....:whistling:

19. bac1023

bac1023

Similar feel

The newer B models have a nicer finish for sure. Of course, there are other differences, such as the hammer and grips.

I still love the original though. I've got both...

20. Wishoot

Wishoot

Not exactly sure of the year, but the Omega system was born before 2009.

My gun came from some sort of overrun. Apparently, CZ made a deal to produce these guns for the Mexican National Police or Military or something like that and Mexico decided to never pay for them.

My understanding is that there were only a few thousand produced back then.

Nobody seems to know the real story behind these early Omega's.