CZ 75B Question

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by moeman, Feb 12, 2010.

1. moeman

moeman

Checking out a CZ 75B and have a question--

When releasing the mag, it only drops a bit then hangs up... Is this normal? I really like my pistol's mags to freely drop, if not eject the mag.

PLEASE NOTE:

This a California gun w/ a 10rd mag that has a plastic base about an inch up the mag, then metal above to its top. Don't know if the CA mag is the problem or this is just how CZ dials them in...

Please let me know soon since I'm in the buying mode.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2010
  2. rich636

rich636

It's normal. IIRC I "massaged" that spring in the rear of the magwell so mine drop free now. I wanted to completely remove it but realized it was integral or more work than I wanted to undertake..so I just bent it...it was too long ago to remember exactly.

Edit: the gun is not a drop free design...its not a Cali thing.

3. Small Tony

Small Tony

My CZ 75B mags freely drop.

4. elsolo

elsolo

It's a very simple task to fix the mag brake to a drop free type.
    Remove the grips, remove the pin at the top of the brake, slightly straighten out the two bends in the brake.
    Don't need to go hog wild on the bending, it only takes a little. Testing it only requires putting the top pin back in and you can see where it's touching the mag body with the grips removed.

It's not the mags, it's an intentional design. The regular mags are vastly superior to the 10rd ones with the plastic extension.
    The CZ-85C comes with the mag brake already straightened to allow the mags to drop free.

5. NW-Warlord

NW-Warlord

Some CZ-75's have mag breaks, some dont. My CZ is drop free, my brothers is not. However, I would not recommend bending the non drop free break they have a tendency of breaking. CZcustom sells a replacement that is drop free. I have nothing but good things to say about CZcustom, they are good folks.

http://czcustom.com/testproduct-192.aspx

6. moeman

moeman

Good idea

Does anyone know of a site w/pics how to install?

7. itsveryniiice

itsveryniiice

This thread makes me sad...my first gun was a 75 (baby eagle actually, but you know) back when I was ~21. Sold it to get a carry gun....but miss it fo sho. Ive never had anything since that was put together as well. $325....man I gave that mofo away ...sniff

8. NW-Warlord

NW-Warlord

Got something for you.

http://czechpistols82792.yuku.com/topic/14688/t/CZ-75-Trigger-job-lots-of-pics.html

He does not explain the actual replacement of the mag break. But it gives the complete breakdown of the FCG. All you have to do is drift the pin out that holds the break in. I have seen some that are staked, so use caution.

9. moeman

moeman

Awesome site...Gonna go back and look at this gun again--cash ready.

10. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

Most 75s have the mag catch feature so that the mags won't drop free. Actually that's a typical European tradition of not dropping the mag and throwing it away ala American style.

11. PMY

PMY

If I remember right, I converted my spring to a drop-free configuration by pulling it out of the gun and leaving it sit under a telephone book overnight.

(This was obviously several years ago, when I had a telephone book in the house.)

12. elsolo

elsolo

You have to really go hog wild with the bending to break the brake.
    It only needs another 1/16" to let the mags drop free, don't try to completely straighten it out.
    If you do somehow manage to brake it, then you are in the same position as somebody that decided to buy a new one, either from CZ-USA or from ghostholster.com

Removal is a little more tricky:
    Remove grips
    Remove upper pin for mag brake
    While depressing the mainspring plug, remove lower pin that retains the plug
    Depress the mainspring plug as far as it will go into frame
    Lift the brake out of the slot in the mainspring plug
    Carefully let the mainspring plug out, it's under some good tension

The mainspring plug removal is tricky the fist time, mount a pin vertically in a vise to have a fixed point to push it in.