close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

CZ 75 Champion inbound :)

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by bac1023, Feb 28, 2010.

1. bac1023

bac1023

With all the CZ 75 talk around here lately, I felt this was very fitting. :cool:

Bonus time is next week and while I always try to invest a good portion of it, I do plan to pick up a few nice toys. Two of which will be high end 1911s, including a full house custom build from EGW.

However, I am going to buck the 1911 trend for a couple others and one will be a CZ 75 Champion.

Its been discontinued, and as luck would have it, I got the last one at CZ-USA. My dealer called them last week and was told that the only model they had left in inventory was a floor gun, that was discounted as a "scratch and dent" model. Obviously, that didn't sound good, so I thought my plans to get one were over, as I never see them on Gunbroker.

However, when they went to find the gun, they called my dealer back and said it looks like new, with a couple light scratches on the compensator. Now I'm all over it and asked my dealer to bring it in for me. The best part is that I'm getting it OTD for $1200 instead of $1600. :supergrin:

As for the pistol itself, it was CZ's top of the line handgun for quite a while, before being discontinued due to high cost and, likewise, lack of sales. As you can imagine, I'm really looking forward to this one, as I love high end SAO target pistols.

Here's some info from the CZ site:

http://cz-usa.com/products/view/cz-75-champion/

[​IMG]

I don't really care for finger groove Hogue grips, so they may have to go. However, I like everything else about it.

The only downside is the caliber. As many know, I'm a huge 9mm fan. Unfortunately, the 9mm version is long gone. The only other caliber they were chambered for is one that I'm indifferent to, the 40s&w. I only own four other 40s&w pistols, as it was never my favorite for whatever reason. I'm a 9mm and 45ACP guy, but maybe this pistol will change my feelings on the cartridge. :dunno:

What does everyone think? I wanted a high end CZ and the Tactical Sport is sort of a mid range gun. The Champion fits the bill nicely and I'm really looking forward to some range time.

I should have it later next week and pics will certainly follow.

Its probably a shot in the dark, due to rarity, but does anyone own one of these?

Has anyone fired one of these?

Has anyone seen one of these? :embarassed:

Thanks!

2. G36's Rule

G36's Rule Senior Member

Nice.

Never seen, shot or heard of them, but that pistol needs some good wood on it.

:wavey:

3. grecco

grecco

That is really cool,being a fan of cz, please post a range report as soon as possible.
    Congrats on your new addition.

4. restlessgun

restlessgun BO still sucks

Congrats on the buy.
    I have a couple of Plain Jane CZ-75s I enjoy. Not in .40 but 9mm.
    All my Glocks are in .40 and I enjoy them immensely.

I always like to diversify my collection. It would be boring for me just to have all my pistols the same caliber.

Heck I have .22LR to .50 AE caliber pistols. It's nice to be able to shoot what I feel like when I go to the range.

5. SouthpawShootr

SouthpawShootr NRA Life Member

Looks like a fine piece. I wonder if there is a gunsmith that could build one in 9mm for you. Maybe Angus Hobdell at http://czcustom.com ?

Still that .40 should put a smile on your face. I've never seen one in the flesh. Locally, there was a shop that carried CZs regularly, but there was little interest even for the basic CZ75, so he only does orders them now for customers who want one. One gunshow vender that I've bought from a lot usually has a good selection of CZs, but again never any Champions. I think I may have seen one of the Tactical Sports but that one took forever to move as it was very close IIRC to what you paid for your Champion. CZs are excellent guns and I'm sure a good gunsmith could turn one into a great gun but, as with Steyr, people have it in their mind that these are $400 guns and when they see a CZ, even an obvious custom gun, priced higher, they just move along.

Have you seen any of the Witness Match guns? Seen a couple at show and they look pretty good, I just wonder about the support at EAA. The Witness Gold Team looks like something similar to the Champion but too many holes.

6. bac1023

bac1023

Thanks for the info.

I have a Witness Limited in 38 Super that shoots great.

[​IMG]

7. bac1023

bac1023

Yes it does.

I HATE rubber finger groove grips on any pistol, but especially one like this.

8. ronin.45

ronin.45

Bac, it's too bad you couldn't find a 9mm. I have shot a Champion in .40 and it is impressive. It is still a nice addition to your collection.

9. JMS

JMS 02

Congrats on a beautiful purchase, I saw one of these today, just a few seconds ago, online. Maybe in the near future I'll get to fire one of these:whistling::rofl:

10. Eyescream

Eyescream hates you

I never really cared much for .40S&W either.

I concur.

11. HomeLandPatriot

HomeLandPatriot

Great find!

I've been bit by the CZ bug the last couple of weeks, and a CZ 75 SP-01 and a 97b are on my short list.

As soon as the funds come in, the SP-01 is mine.

12. SouthpawShootr

SouthpawShootr NRA Life Member

It's amazing how much good stuff goes to the discontinued heap without some of us ever managing to get out paws on it.

13. bac1023

bac1023

Yeah, I agree.

I don't believe many were produced to begin with. Also, those that do actually have one must really like them. I have not seen one for sale on Gunbroker since I started looking during the summer. I'm not sure about before then, but that's really saying something for how difficult they are to come by. Not one on Gunbroker in 8 months. Wow.

I imagine people may have passed on the last model CZ had, because of how they referred to it. I haven't seen it yet, but they said its in great shape. Its got the box, papers, two mags, etc.

Of course, I pride myself on getting ahold of pistols like this. :supergrin:

14. kahrcarrier

kahrcarrier FAHRENHEIT

That is one fine looking CZ. Ought to be killer on the range. Congratulations!

I have come across a couple of pics of this model, but know extremely little about it. I often learn more from your firearm purchases than I do from most other sources...........

My only CZ is a poly framed model. I know you are not the world's biggest plastic enthusiast, but I also know you are not in the habit of denigrating another man's choice or purchases. The true sign of a gentleman. We could use more of that!

Luck!

15. bac1023

bac1023

Thank you.

Actually, I much prefer steel or metal handguns, but I like most of the polymers too. I'm picking up a Sig Pro from a fellow member very soon and I also want an XDm, M&P Pro, and an HK P30L, among some others. I'll probably get all the popular polymers eventually to compare them. :)

Right now, I only have Glocks, a PX4, an HK Mark 23, an FN FiveseveN, and some rimfires and pocket pistols that are polymer.

16. hamr56

hamr56

Wow that looks like alot of fun. Are they coming out with something similar to it in the future? Seems it would fit a need in the market and the price point sounds pretty good for what your getting.

17. CZ guy

CZ guy

Do you shoot IPSC? Sounds like probably not.

In IPSC/USPSA 40 S&W is the currently preferred "cheap" alternative to shooting 38 Super in Open division. It's become quite popular over the past few years. This is because 9mm is minor power factor (unless you load 9mm major - few do), which means you're at a distinct disadvantage in competition (fewer points). The only downside to 40 S&W is fewer rounds in a magazine as compared to 9mm/38 Super.

To truly appreciate this gun, you really need to go compete. It's kinda like buying a race car and taking it to the track to open it up, versus cruising around the blvd with all the old farts just to look "cool".

Anyways, congrats on an awesome purchase!

18. bac1023

bac1023

I'm not sure, to be honest. CZ might not go the high end route anymore.

Yeah, $1200 is great, but that's $400 off.

19. bac1023

bac1023

Thanks.

I only shoot recreationally, but do realize why the 40S&W is popular for matches. It is a hard hitting round.

Actually, I have several race bred pistols, simply because I find them fun to shoot. :)

...like this Sphinx Competitor and Sig X-Five. Both are amazing shooters.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 28, 2010
  20. JoshuaC

JoshuaC

That is one nice looking CZ! Does the price bring any customization to the trigger? Stock CZ triggers aren't the best till you've got a few rounds down the pipe.