Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A few weeks ago, I posted on here about loose screws on my Uberti and a problem with the cylinder locking up. Everybody was so interested in the loose screw issue (since resolved) that the cylinder issue got lost in the shuffle so I'd like to try again. I got a Uberti Cattleman II last year and have now put maybe a hundred to a hundred and fifty rounds through it. If I recall, the first range trip or two was fine but since then the cylinder wants to bind up on me. The hammer becomes difficult to cock and, when going to half-cock and emptying spent cases, the cylinder becomes very difficult to turn. Within a single range trip it seems to get worse the more it is shot so that there is some resistance in cocking with the first cylinder and it is moderately binding when emptying cases but it gets worse (both cocking and ejecting empties) with each new cylinder. By the third or forth cylinder, it's essentially unusable. Once the empties are out of the cylinder, however, it rotates smoothly. I am using factory loads and the gun has never had enough rounds through it to get really dirty although I did remove the cylinder and clean it once after only about fifty rounds. I'm ready to send it back to Uberti but I wanted to see if I was missing anything. This is my first single-action revolver so I am not real experienced with them.

Thanks in advance for any help or advice.

·
real dogs
2,600 Posts
Since it rotates freely without cases in place and worsens with use then fouling is certainly part of the picture. The type of ammo and /or cartridge may be part of the picture. If youre using a low intensity cartridge and your revolver has headspace that is on the long side of specifications the primers may "set back". They will inturn drag on the recoil shield. As you fire more rounds the fouling in the chambers may keep the cases pushed back against the recoil shield. If you coat the case head and primer with magic marker and examine them after firing the cylinder full. On observation of the fired cases the primers will protrude above the case head. This may work in various repeaters but not in most revolvers. One important thing to consider also is that the little "hand" thingy is what rotates the cylinder. They tend to be kinda spindly so overloading it can affect timing. Only a very small dimensional change can make a profound difference.
Knowing what cartridge and load youre using is of interest, regardless. If youre using cricket fart loads then primer set back is likely the cause of your difficulty. In that case the cure may be as simple as using normal powered loads. If the recoil shield is excessively "ramped" the fix is going to fall into factory work.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Rogn,

Thanks for your reply. I've actually already sent the gun back to Uberti so hopefully they can get it fixed. After I placed the original post I got some suggestions from another forum, where it was suggested that I go back and look for burrs around the firing pin hole, which I did. There was a slight burr there. It was small enough that I was surprised it could be creating the problem. As I checked more carefully with what was happening when I turned the cylinder with empty cases, it was pretty clear that whatever the problem, the binding was occurring as the case rotated up to the area of the firing pin hole. It was also leaving semi-circular scratches on the empty cases which has to be a sign that that is where at least part of the problem is. Hopefully, that is the issue. The burr was slight enough that I thought about filing it down myself but I was afraid that if that didn't work and Uberti saw evidence of it being filed down, it may screw up my warranty. Anyway, we'll see. The ammo I've been using is just typical range stuff (Federal, Blazer Brass, WWB; nothing exotic). I think most of it is just standard 130 grain or thereabouts. No magnums at all.

I appreciate your response and your avatar is really cool. Happy New Year.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Hi,
I am a Revolver Armorer and attended well over 1/2 month of Factory LE Wheelgun Armorer Training.
What is critical in figuring things out is how the action is binding?
That means on double action revolver's, is the binding on single action or double action or both?
Obviously, this is a single action mechanism. This might have a lot to do with the Ratchet and the "Lifter", "Pawl" or "Hand".
Can this be in fact a Cylinder misalignment problem, or is this a clearance (cylinder forcing cone) issue?
Can the problem be insufficient "latch lift", "latch drop" or even cylinder advancement, timing issue? The cylinder, fully indexing? Without training it can be one or even more problems masking and creating unique diagnosis in an approach to repairing the gun in question. This takes gauging cylinder forcing cone clearance. Listening for "sing" hand, wratchet engagement.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi,
I am a Revolver Armorer and attended well over 1/2 month of Factory LE Wheelgun Armorer Training.
What is critical in figuring things out is how the action is binding?
That means on double action revolver's, is the binding on single action or double action or both?
Obviously, this is a single action mechanism. This might have a lot to do with the Ratchet and the "Lifter", "Pawl" or "Hand".
Can this be in fact a Cylinder misalignment problem, or is this a clearance (cylinder forcing cone) issue?
Can the problem be insufficient "latch lift", "latch drop" or even cylinder advancement, timing issue? The cylinder, fully indexing? Without training it can be one or even more problems masking and creating unique diagnosis in an approach to repairing the gun in question. This takes gauging cylinder forcing cone clearance. Listening for "sing" hand, wratchet engagement.
I'm obviously finding out that there is a lot I don't know. Hopefully, Uberti can get it corrected. Thanks for the input.

·
Registered
4,429 Posts
I got nothing to add about what's wrong, but last year I bought a new Uberti 22. Beautiful gun. About the only new gun I've bought in a while. It did the same thing, except I never fired a shot from it. A trip to the mothership didn't help a bit. Store gave me a store credit on something else.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.