close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

cyclists/MTBrs: need I ask if you carry OTB?

Discussion in 'Strength & Conditioning' started by cassandra, Apr 21, 2007.

1. cassandra

cassandra

I did a 60 mile road ride today and did a stretch in the woods where I always feel a little creepy, especially if one of the few cars that goes by slows down a little...yikes. Ditto for MTB rides--I'd rather not even do that by myself due to weirdos AND bears, mtn lions here.

I'd like to carry a little revolver in the bike bag but I think my riding partners might freak if they noticed it (bloody liberals mostly). Need to be discreet.

Do you carry on the bike, what do you carry and how?

2. California Jack

California Jack Millennium Member

When I mountain biked i did it by the river here in OKC. This was a long time ago before it was developed and improved. The only people down there than were the homeless living under the bridges and people looking for trouble. When I bought my bike the dealer suggested I carry a revolver in the seat bag (it has been so long since I cycled, I can't remember the correct jargon.) I bought an SP 101. That was what got me into handguns and shooting.

I can't believe Montanan's would freak at the sight/thought of a gun. Really?

Anyhow, be safe, protect yourself.

3. ajkahr

ajkahr

I carry a KelTec P32 in a Kangaroo holster under my cycling jersey. The pacifist liberals I ride with never know the difference. We went riding through a rural area outside Austin last year and we had a dog come running after us. Right before I was ready to whip it out, the dog stopped and went back to his house. I would've love to see the look on their faces if I was forced to put that dog down for attacking one of us... :shocked:

4. cassandra

cassandra

Yeah that would have been funny. Lotta pacifist liberals around here too. But we get along as long as we don't talk about politics. I've been chased by dogs bad..I think a .22 would be better for that though.

Oops! I checked out the holster and I DON'T think that would work for me...;)

5. BCR

BCR BIGASS!!!!

I'm a little different as I only MTB and use a Camelbak. Its one of the larger models so I can just put my revolver in one of the pockets.

Perhaps you could get a cheap softside Uncle Mikes type holster and sew it into the seat bag, or even use velcro to secure it. This would still leave the grip visible if they watched you go inside your bag though.

Or if you want the revolver totally concealed maybe you could put it in a velvet bag and just leave it in the bottom of the bike bag.

You also might want to post your question in the Concealed Carry forum. In the past I've seen questions like yours posted there with quite a few replies.

Carrying for a roadie is much harder than the MTB'ers!

6. BCR

BCR BIGASS!!!!

7. YukonGlocker

YukonGlocker

Was the dealer Wheeler Dealer?

8. California Jack

California Jack Millennium Member

How'd you guess? You get the samte advice?

9. mossy500camo

mossy500camo ammo found

I carry while biking. I wear pocketed sweat pants, so my KT P32 fits nicely in the front pocket.:supergrin:

10. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

This is one of the main reasons I walk/run/bike at a fitness center. No Dogs. Every once in a while I go outdoors, but its just not worth the hassle/risk when the gym is only 4mi away.

Here in Indy, loose dogs have been a major problem, not to mention the threat of being mugged. I've saw people at the park walking around with baseball bats, brooms, asps, etc. I never could figure it out, then asked a couple, and got the same answer... "Dogs". In the event I am outdoors, I'm usually on my bike, and can usually outrun animals. I love to walk, but with the animal problems here, its just not really worth the risk.

Smartcarry and an SP101 is a beautiful thing.. ;)

IGF