Cyclist Deaths Are Exploding Because U.S. Cities Are Car-Friendly Death Traps

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Nemesis., Sep 7, 2019.

1. Nemesis.

Nemesis.

https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/...ecause-us-cities-are-car-friendly-death-traps

In 2019, more and more cities across America are encouraging their residents to commute by bicycle. Cycling, of course, is good for the environment in terms of reducing pollution from car-dominant streets, and it’s a healthier way to travel.

But cities gaining new cyclists are quickly, tragically finding that they do not have the proper infrastructure to keep them safe. Cyclist fatalities have gone up 25 percent across the U.S. since 2010, and up 10 percent in 2018 itself, while all other traffic fatalities have decreased.

And it matters where you live: 75 percent of these cyclist deaths occur in urban areas. New York City became the most dangerous city for cyclists in 2019 with 19 deaths to date—almost double the total in 2018.

The major causes of cyclist deaths are motor vehicle crashes, and hit-and-runs and driver inattentiveness are unfortunately the most common factors. The most recent death in NYC was a collision between two cars and 52-year-old cyclist Jose Alzorriz at the intersection between Coney Island and L Avenues in Brooklyn last month. Alzorriz was pinned by an SUV that spun off the road after being struck by another driver who ran a red light.

[More at link]

2. Nemesis.

Nemesis.

Part of my exercise routine is running on a treadmill. It's relatively safe. But if I insisted upon running on a highway in rush hour traffic, running like I dare to be hit by a car, then that's on me.

Stupid is as stupid does. Cyclists locally insist upon riding on two lane, crowded roads, all dressed up in their attention whoring spandex and lipstick, riding two and three abreast. Cars have to slow to a crawl. Moms needing to get to the school to pick up their children, etc.

Maybe cyclists should exercise some common sense and not joust with a 4,000 pound SUV piloted by a soccer mom who's texting while she drives.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2019

3. mike from st pe

mike from st pe

StPete's idiot mayor has a plan. Kriseman calls it "Complete Streets". Remove a lane of auto traffic and make a bike lane.
    Results? Slower moving autos making more pollution and wasting precious fossil fuel.

cbetts1, Chui, Intolerant and 5 others like this.
  4. thewitt

thewitt

Bikes think they have the right of way, while they may be right, dead-right, is it worth it to show your moral or legal superiority?

I've ridden thousands of miles on my bike and NEVER challenge traffic.

5. Longbow

Longbow Millennium Member

I live in the burbs. Its highly doable where I live. I will not dare doing it in the city or on any major roads.

6. evlbruce

evlbruce

Works both ways. I've seen some cyclists do some crazy.

cbetts1, Chui, Intolerant and 6 others like this.
  7. sciolist

sciolist On the Border

Same as on foot, take responsibility for yourself. Bikes should be operated in a legal manner, but laws of physics trump laws of man.

Chui, R_P_K_, Patchman and 7 others like this.
  8. BradD

BradD

One of my peers used to ride his bicycle to work. He was hit by a car and wore a cast for a broken elbow for what seemed like forever. His accident was on a road that is only moderately busy and has bike lanes, but eventually those cars turn right and cross the bike lane. That's how his accident happened. Until someone fixes that problem, I wouldn't consider riding a bike on such a road.

Chui, mike from st pe, Skidoo and 2 others like this.
  9. ChuteTheMall

ChuteTheMall Wallbuilder and Weapon Bearer

Road raging cagers, stoned and on their stupid smart phones, kill pedestrians, cyclists, bikers, children, and wildlife. Their response is usually "Oops, I didn't see him."

10. fg17

fg17

I don’t think it’s attention whoring. It’s just the gear and dress required for the sport. No more than motorcyclists wearing leather and boots, hunters wearing camouflage, horseback riders wearing cowboy boots, competitive shooters ect ect...

11. tuica

tuica

I’ve nearly nailed a couple myself. Runners as well. All times the traffic light was in my favor, and they were ignoring the red light or STOP!!! sign. I’m old and cynical enough that if I kilt one of them in this manner, it “might not” trouble me. But I’d really rather not have to find out.

12. Grabbrass

Grabbrass

Well said.

I lived in Japan for two years in the 90's, and get back there on vacation every 2-3 years. The number of urban and suburban bicycle users there is amazing. And yet, nobody dies. Oh, I'm sure there's a rare occurrence, but for the most part bicycle riding in the city in Japan is totally safe. How do they do it???

A: They mostly ride them on the sidewalks.

[​IMG]

cbetts1, Chui, redrick and 4 others like this.
  13. larry_minn

larry_minn Silver Member Millennium Member

If you ride you have to realize. You are the bug in any collision. I drive around many on bikes in CO. Most pay attention, basicly follow rules of road. (I don't care about a full stop, cutting corners....)
    There are some idiots. The bike lane goes from tight shoulder ACROSS two lanes of traffic, Into left turn lane.... As I understand CO law they have right of way in that bike lane crossing +30mph traffic. Some think that is a shield that will protect them.
    I saw a bike plow into the back of a pickup. Stopped at a light. He clearly felt it was the stopped for light pickup drivers fault. BOulder has wonderful bike paths.inlaws had home health visits. One came @2 miles on bike. Said it was faster then by car.
    Wear visible clothing, lights if not bright daylight. I drive nights a lot. Mind says " something there". I hit high beams, turn a bit to sides to get angle. Person in black, on a bike with no reflectors, chrome. On the road. MAYBE a tiny flashing red led.
    I had reflectors, gen light, and battery headlight. Everywhere you look, light follows. Drivers gave me room when I rode bike.

14. thewitt

thewitt

15. DonGlock26

DonGlock26

I've seen plenty of urban bicyclists, dressed in all dark clothing at night, riding in the left turn lane.

Chui, Intolerant, Willard and 2 others like this.
  16. Bradley T

Bradley T

One must be responsible for their own safety. Each time I've been near-missed and the one time I was struck was easily avoided had I been more vigilant.
    Cycling is dangerous, and takes way longer too. I've got much more on my plate these days, taking the extra time to cycle isn't happening. Plan your route, don't ride in the middle of the road. Take extra time to look out.

RenoF250 and Caver 60 like this.
  17. sciolist

sciolist On the Border

The fix is the same as it is with a car - don't pass on the right. I have plenty of experience with this, from the perspective of both bike and car. It's not rocket science.

Same as with guns, you don't need to (really can't) eliminate all possible danger. Just use some basic common sense.

18. Wake_jumper

Wake_jumper

Riding a bicycle is accepting an assumed risk. Riding in traffic is crazy dangerous. I know a serious cyclist who rear ended a car at high speed. He had serious head trauma even with his helmet on. But... he is riding again. Some people never learn.

What makes me mad are the cyclists that won't yield to cars and ride two up, side by side, taking the whole lane. I guess, it is their "right" but it is certainly inconsiderate and I admit to responding in kind... I was just letting them know I was behind them... honk honk. :rolleyes:

Used to be that only kids rode bicycles.

Intolerant and redrick like this.
  19. Jon_R

Jon_R

If number of bicycle trips are up as the paper suggests and deaths are up 25% since 2010 then maybe it is safer? If say there are 3 times as many people (200% increase) out there on bicycles yet deaths are only up 25% then isn’t it safer than before?

20. as400guy1

as400guy1

I've yet to see a bicyclist obey a traffic signal or sign here in chicago.