Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have any issues with low velocity ammo? If so, how did you fix it or did you just change ammo?

When I shoot 115g it works great. I have tried some 147g and 165g and it either doesn't eject the ammo or stovepipes the spent case. I tried a recoil spring and it didnt help.

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
Its a harder fix if you are limited to factory ammo especially in a new gun. I reload and will stuff my new shooters with +P loadings for the first 150-250 rounds to get the parts smoothed out and that approach seems to work out ok. Another alternative is to go to a heavier bullet.

I have some .22lr auto pistols that sputter on 36g ammo but perform consistently with 40g ammo. I didn't that small increase in weight would help but seems to improve the cycling.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am not sure if they make a heavier 9mm bullet than 165g. The 115g cycle just fine. Its the heavier bullets that I am having an issue with. I have tried a spring down to 12# and may go lighter but wondering if there is something else that is causing it to hang up.

·
On the Border
15,282 Posts
What power factor?

I use a #12 spring with 130 PF/147gr. My guns run fine at 130 PF up to a #14 spring, but I prefer the balance of the lighter spring.

I use a #10 spring for sub-minor, 110-120 PF. All gen3 G34's with Apex extractors.

·
Registered
18,793 Posts
I am not sure if they make a heavier 9mm bullet than 165g. The 115g cycle just fine. Its the heavier bullets that I am having an issue with. I have tried a spring down to 12# and may go lighter but wondering if there is something else that is causing it to hang up.
If a 12# spring isn't working, that is some serious gamer load stuff.

Are these your reloads or factory loaded ammo?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
PF with the 165g = 132 ; 234.5 Foot Lbs of Kinetic
PF with the 147g = 128 ; 247 Foot Lbs of Kinetic
PF with the 115g = 129 ; 320 Foot Lbs of Kinetic

I have tried 17#, 15#, 13#, 12# spring = only 115g worked

Tried with a suppressor on (thinking I would get more back pressure) and the results were the same. I can order and try a 10# recoil spring but not confident that will help.

·
Registered
18,793 Posts
Factory loaded ammo.
I know of no factory ammo, other than some funky bulk 115gr, that has trouble cycling in a stock Glock, with stock springs.

You mentioned suppressor, are these specialty loads made for suppressed guns to stay way below subsonic, velocity wise?

In any case, a lighter spring is the prescription.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I know of no factory ammo, other than some funky bulk 115gr, that has trouble cycling in a stock Glock, with stock springs.

You mentioned suppressor, are these specialty loads made for suppressed guns to stay way below subsonic, velocity wise?

In any case, a lighter spring is the prescription.
Yes. They are specialty loads for suppressor.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Got it. Just keep going on spring rate until it cycles. Make sure you are not riding the slide with your grip as well. You might not notice it with hotter loads, but it crops up with lighter stuff.
Thanks for your input. I appreciate it. If I get it to run well I will let you know what the final recipe was.

·
Registered
18,793 Posts
Thanks for your input. I appreciate it. If I get it to run well I will let you know what the final recipe was.
Try it with your off hand (death grip, locked wrist) to eliminate the chance your thumb or something is making things worse with those gamer style loads,

·
Crusty Member
10,960 Posts
My limited experience with suppressed 9mm Glock’s is that you need higher power ammo to function a suppressed Glock than a stock one.

·
Registered
4,886 Posts
Make sure you go to a lighter firing pin (Striker) spring if you go with a super light recoil spring. Otherwise you can pull the slide out of battery when firing. I’ve yet to find any factory ammo (or even weaker cream puff loads) that wouldn’t cycle even with the heavy OEM recoil spring. I do grip the gun hard enough to put some serious callouses on my fingers.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts