cutting Lasermax recoil spring

Discussion in 'Sights, Optics and Lasers' started by Dirtyboy333, Jan 1, 2010.

1. Dirtyboy333

Dirtyboy333

Hello, i just baught my 1st auto pistol and installed a Lasermax guide rod system in it. Instantly i noticed i huge difference in recoil spring tension. The lasermax is so much heavier that sometimes i gotta change my grip to rack the slide. Im pretty sure that my G23c came with a 18 pound recoil spring and judging by that i would say the lasermax is 25 pounds or so. Can anybody tell me the advantages/disadvantages of a heavier/lighter recoil spring? Forgive me im jus a noob. Also, on the battery cap end of the LM spring there is red paint about 2-3 coils up the recoil spring. Could that be where ur supposed to cut it if needed? Any info on cutting or even if u can cut the LM recoil spring will be greatly appriciated!!!

Thank u,
    Dan

2. bustedknee

bustedknee The Snowflakes have invaded GT

I didn't notice any difference with my LaserMax.

Maybe you got the wrong spring.

How about a call to the LaserMax folks and see what they think?

3. dc2integra

dc2integra

ok good cause i was thinking of buying one.would you recomend it?

4. bustedknee

bustedknee The Snowflakes have invaded GT

Buying a LaserMax?

I believe a person should do everything in their power to be the best when it comes to self defense and defense of family.

That is why I bought a LaserMax.

However, the first one I had lost intensity and would turn itself on/off during firing. I contacted LaserMax and they said to send it back.

They replaced it with a new unit and a year later, no problems to report. :dancingbanana:

For the price, I don't think I should have had these problems but to their credit LaserMax replaced it promptly with a good unit.

5. Bobshouse

Bobshouse

I don't know about you, but I would be a little hesitant in cutting anything costing that much.

6. eamonher

eamonher

I dont know but im kind of uneasy about changing my glock. Im paranoid about this because I'm paranoid about it being reliable and i know they are most of the time when they are sock. I like the CT better because its external, therefore wont change the gun

7. Ticman

Ticman

I would contact lasermax. Thier customer service is very good.

Oh, and I wouldn't cut the spring off.

8. ENDOtactical

ENDOtactical

I recently sold my lasermax for the g17, but it was a lot heavier than my factory spring when I first got it. It definitely loosened up after a while though. I'd just leave it alone if I were you.

9. Dirtyboy333

Dirtyboy333

Ok, thanks.........i think ill jus wait and find out when they are open and give em a call......no, im not gonna cut it right now but if i cant resolve the problem i might cut it and c what happens ha... i think i saw where u can get a replacement Lasermax spring for like 12 bucks.......ive only shot about 30 rounds since i installed it and i had 1 "jam" looked like the slide didnt come back far enough to push the next cartridge thru...but it did eject the discharged casing.... it seems to me that the recoil is a bit snappier too, but thats probably because the heavier spring....dont get me wrong, i love the product....even tho i have only taken a few shots with it in i mess with it all the time (unloaded) and i havent had any problems with it turnin on and off or any prob. for that matter......well thanks for the info

10. mr smithglock

mr smithglock

my thoughts exactly.

11. Z71bill

Z71bill

If you think the spring is too heavy now -

Cutting coils off a spring makes it stiffer - not lighter - wouldn't this make your problem worse?

BTW - I ask a tech at S&W about the paint on recoil springs - he said they do that so they can keep track of which spring is which - because if they are not marked they pretty much all look the same.

12. jmsfmtex

jmsfmtex

I have a friend, that has MS, and finds removing the slide, for cleaning, a little difficult due to the heavier spring. I will put him in touch with this thread.

13. Dirtyboy333

Dirtyboy333

ok, thanks jmsfmtex........and no i dont think cutting a spring would make it stiffer i would think it would make it softer. I mean im not positive but the LM spring is captive so i believe its already compressed a lil bit before u even put it in the gun. So if u cut a lil spring off it would stretch out to fill the space on the guide rod. which would make it softer i would believe. Im young and jus starting 2 practice my 2nd amd. rights so forgive me if thats completely wrong but it seems right. also im not saying its ok at all to cut springs. thtas what im tryin to find out by starting this thread