Glock Talk banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
1,421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not exactly a "Gunmithing" question but GT doesn't really have a Forum for this topic.

I have a good solid locking case (older leather briefcase) which I want to insert foam into and make cutouts for pistols I wish to store (and transport) in this case.

I'm looking for advice and tips on the best way to do this.

I've looked at some online posts about how to do it but I trust what I read on GT (well, I trust most stuff I read on GT).

I'm a little concerned about the moisture retention by the foam.

Anyone done this? Got any suggestions or tips?

The guns would be stored in the bottom part of the case. There would be cutouts for extra magazines and probably a flashlight. Maybe a MTM magazine box to hold extra rounds.

Thanks.

· USMC 8531
2,571 Posts
Are any of the guns blued? I've heard problems of storing blued guns on foam overtime that it has a reaction with the bluing and affects the finish. I have cut foam for transport but never stored long term in it. I would cut your foam into two thicknesses, one for the bottom solid piece. Then another to go on top of the solid that had the cutouts in it. For the cutout piece I'd run masking tape over the surface and trace the shapes you want and cut straight through. Here's the one I did.

Reactions: BigBull 301

· Registered
1,421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Are any of the guns blued? I've heard problems of storing blued guns on foam overtime that it has a reaction with the bluing and affects the finish. I have cut foam for transport but never stored long term in it. I would cut your foam into two thicknesses, one for the bottom solid piece. Then another to go on top of the solid that had the cutouts in it. For the cutout piece I'd run masking tape over the surface and trace the shapes you want and cut straight through. Here's the one I did.
Very nice. Your layout is almost exactly what I have in mind.

I've had old "eggshell" foam gun cases that I was afraid to leave guns in for a long time because of the moisture problem.

I believe, maybe erroneously, that there is new foam which does not hold moisture.

Before I spend the time trying to replicate your good work, I'd like to know more about the moisture retention of the new foam.

Thanks for your post.

· Banned
11,514 Posts
I've had good luck reducing moisture by putting silicon packets in the cases. Best part is they're almost free. Most pill bottles come with one... Vitamins, asparin, etc. Recycle.

· Registered
2,693 Posts
Retaining moisture can be an issue with foam, but it really only applies to the typical open cell polyurethane used in gun cases. If you intend to store a firearm long term in a case, you want to use closed cell polyethylene foam(I would use a 2# density). You can make cut outs by using layering it or you could simply use a Kaizen foam set , just make sure it's polyethylene.

· MacGyver
10,799 Posts
Unless you dip your foam in water, or pour water in, the foam should have the same moisture (at equalibrium) as ambient. If it is a closed case, then even less to worry about.

Silica gel material is easy to source. Certain premium cat litters are silicon gel (sodium silicate) and you can buy ten pounds cheap, also renewable after 15 min in the oven at 350 degrees.

· Registered
3,492 Posts
Hobby makers Foam "knife". Some sort of battery driven hot wire holding handle. It's cutting action is actually melting thru the foam in a controlled manner. Google it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.