close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Cutting coils from a Glock firing pin spring

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by wmspdi, Feb 13, 2007.

1. wmspdi

wmspdi

I have a G17 I am setting up for IDPA. I have installed a 3.5 GLOCK connector and completed the .25 trigger job (plus the AnarchAngel's action enhancements). I also added the GLOCK extended slide and magazine release, along with Warren Tacticle Competion sights.

I plan to leave the stock trigger spring, and the stock recoil rod/spring in the gun. Now for the final mod, I want to lighten the firing pin spring a little, to bring the trigger pull down just a bit more. The IDPA rules say the internal parts have to be factory stock, but can be modified to enhance trigger pull.

So my question is... can a clip a few turns from the stock firing pin spring to bring it down about a pound (midway between the stock GLOCK FP spring and a Wolff reduced power FP spring)? If so how many turns to start with. Again this G17 is a race gun and NOT FOR SELF DEFENSE. My stock G23 duty gun (with NY trigger #1) fills that role. Thanks.

2. JWP

JWP

possible but lightened spring may [have to test to see] cause misfires with the standard recoil spring

wolff sells the recoil springs and includes what they think is proper fp spring too - might get a set and try those instead of clipping

3. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

A much better solution is not to mess with the stock spring. Put in a replacement (I use Wolf springs). If it fails to fire, you still have your stock spring to switch back to and if it breaks you have a spare. I always carry a box orf spare parts - everything for a Glock but the slide, frame and barrel, and I don't modify any original parts - even if I want to modify something, I get a replacement, modify it, and keep the original part stock in the parts box.

4. wmspdi

wmspdi

I agree the best option would be to use a Wolff spring, but if I understand the IDPA/GSSF rules for stock and/or production class I can not use after market parts in the gun (ie; Wolff springs). My only option is to cut a stock GLOCK spring to achieve the goal. I believe the stock spring is 6 lbs and the Wolf 4 lbs. I am looking to get 4.5 to 5 lbs pressure on the striker.

I have a few extra stock GLOCK springs, and could use the "cut and try method" on one of them, until I get a misfire. Then toss the "too short" spring and cut another spring a little longer. I was just looking for a starting point to save some time.

Again... this is for a competition gun and NOT for carry. If I do get a misfire I will not lose my life, only a few points in a shooting game.

5. coverdog

coverdog Platinum Member

I have seen many recommending cutting two coils off the stock spring.

6. Glock-N-Fun

Glock-N-Fun

wmspdi,

I couldn't find a rule in the IDPA rule book(April 15,05 edition) that dosen't allow internal after market parts to enhance a trigger pull.
    If you have,please direct me to it

I quite useing the 4lb.striker springs quite some time ago do to the lack of 100% primer ignition on some guns,i usually cut a glock factory 5.5'er or wolff 5.5'er down to 18-19 coils,much more reliable.

7. wmspdi

wmspdi

Yous are right about the IDPA rules on equipment. I was thinking of the GSSF rules on aftermarket parts. When I started this project I took the most restrictive rules of IPDA/GSSF/IPSC I could find to build the gun by. This way I would be sure it was "production legal" for any match I might enter. Since I do plan on shooting in some GSSF matches I will still need to keep it "GLOCK stock" on parts. The coil count was what I was looking for. I'll try 19 coils on some CCI primers and go from there. Thanks.

8. Glock-N-Fun

Glock-N-Fun

If you do get light strikes with an 18-19lb FP spring when useing cci or winchester primers,which i never have with small primers,and you want to use the trigger you put together,use federal primers,they will do the trick,they are softer and more sensitive.

9. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

You are wrong. IDPA allows replacement of internal parts like springs in any division. Check the rule book at IDPA.com.

10. wmspdi

wmspdi

I corrected myself a few posts up. It is the GSSF rules that prohibit aftermarket internal parts. As I plan to also shoot in GSSF matches I am building the gun to the meet the most restrictive requirements it will have to pass.

Since I have a few extra FP springs, I cut the original factory spring (it was in the gun so it has already taken a "set") to 18 coils. It gave me the trigger pull I was looking for, with a good strong primer hit. I am not going to try to go any lighter.

I reload my lead practice rounds with Federal primers, but use Blazers for matches because they are "lost brass" anyway. I want to be sure I can fire those hard primers.

Thanks to all.

11. Duck of Death

Duck of Death

I cut 7 coils off the OEM firing pin spring. BUT I also lighten the firing pin. This gives reliable ignition of all primers.

12. Joe Mamma

Joe Mamma

A factory Glock firing pin spring (striker spring) with any coils cut off is illegal for the stock class in GSSF matches. I had asked about this a few years ago on Glocktalk, and got confirmation from Glock that it is illegal. I searched for the post but couldn't find it. I guess it must have expired or been deleted somehow.

Joe Mamma

13. wmspdi

wmspdi

Well, in that case I'll take a stock spring and store it fully compressed for the next month, then put it in the gun. The spring should take a "set" at about 90% of it's original strength. That's pretty close to where I am now (less 2 coils).

Where does GSSF stand on a polished 3.5 factory connector, trigger and striker (at the sear engagement point)?

14. Joe Mamma

Joe Mamma

Those parts and modifications (polishing) are all legal.

Joe Mamma

15. justinhcannon

justinhcannon

my two cents here...

International DEFENSIVE Pistol Association, right? So use your duty gun. Use what you would use in a DEFENSIVE role. I just had my first match today, and I am already kinda pissed. I will continue shooting these matches for the fun of it, but why don't they just call it IPSC 2 or something, not that those guns are PRACTICAL.
    Here's my point. Keep this sport pure. Use a defensive pistol. Use this for the stress-shoot training that it provides. Don't build an IDPA gun so you can do better. That's how all this crap starts anyway. Maybe I'm just bitter, but I saw way too many full size 1911's with extended mag-wells today. I thought the point of IDPA was to somewhat realistic.

16. CATATOMIC

CATATOMIC

I have cut coils off of factory firing pin springs during trigger jobs on glocks. So far I've had no problems with the ones I've done. I usually cut 5 coils off the factory spring. I have also used the Wolff 4 pound firing pin springs and have gotten the same results as cutting 5 coils off the factory spring.

17. cyberiad

cyberiad

In my G34 I use the stock firing pin and trigger springs and an LWD 3.5 connector. The reset is pretty firm and the trigger pull is quite a bit lighter than the OEM 3.5 connector. I plan to do the same to my G17. I used to mess around with lighter firing pin springs and had the Sotelo trigger kit in at one time but had ignition problems with both

18. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

Never mind - I guess I already answered this.

19. Speedrock

Speedrock "To The Point"

"I used to mess around with lighter firing pin springs and had the Sotelo trigger kit in at one time but had ignition problems with both..."

This is a 17 correct? Have had Ralph's Kit in a 34 continuously for over a year
    with no light strikes whatsoever. While you didn't mention if used factory or
    hand-loaded ammo, mine have all been hand-loads with FED primers & 1K of
    WIN thrown in as a test. Probably 10K thru it now. FWIW, Ralph does rec
    replacing the striker spring every 5K rounds.

20. cyberiad

cyberiad

Yes, I had Ralph's kit in a 17, probably over a year ago. I only used factory ammo (Federal American Eagle)