close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Cutting Boards - Hardwood vs. Bamboo

Discussion in 'Food Forum' started by Wulfenite, Apr 27, 2006.

1. Wulfenite

Wulfenite The King

Looking at getting a new, large, cutting board. Seems like the bamboo boards are all the rage these days but there's a wide range of prices on the bamboo which suggests big differences in quality. Any tips on what to look for an how a good bamboo board would compared to a good rock maple board?

2. The Pontificator

The Pontificator Angry Samoan

Bamboo? Never heard of it being used to make cutting boards.

I have a selection of those white "polymer" (lexan?) restaurant-grade cutting boards. Probably got them at Wal-Mart.

Just toss 'em in the dishwasher.

3. The Pontificator

The Pontificator Angry Samoan

4. windplex

windplex

I worked in thepastics industry and evaluated entering cutting boards segment with some type of plastic.

Learned tht wood has a natural property of killing germs/bateria, I seem to remember it was the tannons in the wood. So food left on the less than 100% cleaned board will create bacteria on any board but wood boards will activly kill the bacteria. I do not know if grasses such as bamboo contain same bacteria killing chemicals?

BTW: I would stay clear of any polimers that claim to kill bacteria for food containment or cutting boards.

5. Str8shootr

Str8shootr

I have wood, plastic and bamboo cutting boards.

Based on what I have read, I only use the plastic when I cut meat....then pop it in the dishwasher.

Everything else I use the wood or bamboo. I prefer bamboo, it is smoother and doesn't require treating (need to periodically apply mineral oil to wooden cutting surfaces):beer:

6. margo

margo

I have wood plastic and bamboo cutting boards and just got a nice end grain John Boos board from chefsdepot for 64 bucks! The end grain is supposed to be better on the knife edge. The bamboo ones are pretty but I don't see the point in spending a lot for one, I don't see how they would be any better than the cheaper ones seeing as how there is so much glue involved. I try and oil mine but it doens't absorb much of it.

My other wood ones were inexpensive ones and I didn't really take good care of them. The one I just got is nice and hefty yet fits on the counter. It does seem to have a softer feel when I use it. Supposeably the knife edge goes between the fibers and the wood "heals" so you don't get cut marks either. Wood boards need to be oiled and care must be taken to keep moisture from staying on them for any length of time.

I didn't care about boards till I got nice knifes.

7. windplex

windplex

I am getting interested in bamboo for my next room's floor. Looks good and they have harder ones that are harder surfaces than some hard wood floors nd they can be refinished.

I know it is a tangent, but wood is cool stuff. I just stained / finished two moses style waling sticks and they came out pretty good. Too long to be much use for self defense, just for angular kiking.