close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

cut the thumbs off yes/no ?

Discussion in 'Woof Memorial Critter's Corner' started by noway, Dec 22, 2004.

1. noway

noway

Questions:

Do you guys remove your dogs dew claws off the rear and front legs?

For folks w/dew claws, Have you ever experience any problems with them? And if yes what breed and was it a house or outdoor dog?

2. fastvfr

fastvfr Ancient Tech

You should have them removed.

They will catch on things and break/tear off, causing your pooch lots of pain.

Unless they are very stout, remove them when he/she gets 'fixed'.

3. Don 'ol52

Don 'ol52

four dogs one 16, one 13 one 6 and one 6 months. other than getting scratched occasionally they have not been a problem.

just lost the 16y/o and the 13y/o

BUT if the dog is going to be out in the woods or fields hunting/brush running you may want to have them removed. they won't miss them.

just my $.02

Merry Christmas!!!

4. Ender

Ender ComfortablyNumb

its not generally a necessary thing...but isn't a major-nasty-painful thing like declawing a cat...

my buddy's Husky just ripped one of hers out almost all the way somehow...had to take her to the vet and get it removed. first i've heard of it, but i've only had a dog for several months ;)

5. elsolo

elsolo

Yes, they should be clipped. It will hurt your dog a whole lot more if/when they ever get hung up, than clipping them as tiny pups. When people sell pups that are not clipped, it makes me wonder if they ever got their puppy shots, which is when they are traditionally removed.

6. AAshooter

AAshooter

I wish I would have had them done on my dog. If you are going to have them done, doing them as a pup is the way to go. Much easier surgery and no phantom pain.

My golden has ripped her dew claws twice. I am too big of wimp to have them deal with it with the dog awake so I have them put the dog under to take the nail off. Needless to say, the vet bill after each was significant.

My neighbor's Golden just ripped her nail . . . $450 vet bill. Dog is doing fine . . . neighbors are in shock.

7. obscured

obscured Not a Troll

Both of my dogs (Vizsla & GSP) had their dewclaws removed before I got them, so it has never been a problem.

My girlfriends family has a Yorkshire Terrier that didn't have its dewclaws removed. A little more than 2 months ago, the dewclaw snagged on a comforter while the lil' guy jumped off the bed, and ripped the claw off. Real messy & painful for the poor guy. He is an indoor dog (unlike mine)...but these things happen to indoor dogs, too.

So, I'd also recommend removing the dewclaws. As the others said, this should be done when they're pups. I honestly don't know if I'd have it done to an adult dog.

-obs

8. Glennbo

Glennbo

It's only fair that you get your tonsils and appendix removed also.

9. bethann

bethann

It's not quite the same. Tonsils and appendix aren't going to get caught on something and be ripped off. I rutinely remove dewclaws from all of my pups when they are 3 days old. They never miss them.
    Even when they never get caught on anything, I've seen way too many dogs that had theirs, but the owners never trimmed them. The result is that the nail keeps growing, curls back and grows into the dogs leg. Very painful for the dog.

10. bethann

bethann

They actually should be removed at about 3 days of age if they are being done as puppies. If you wait until the dog is old enough for shots they have to be anethestized so it's best at that age to wait until he/she is spayed/neutered and then do both at the same time. At 3 days of age the dewclaws are just snipped off with very little blood, if any, and any crying lasts only for a second or two. If I have a litter that has rear dewclaws they are removed at that age along with the front dewclaws. If there are no rear dewclaws then I leave the front ones where they are.
    It really is alot harder on a dog if it's done at a later age, just like de-clawing a cat. I received a puppy back as a stud fee once who still had his dewclaws because his breeder felt it was cruel to cut them off. I had his removed when he was about 6 months old and decided that if I ever had another pup that still had theirs at a later age, I would leave them on.
    Also remember that alot of breed standards require dewclaws, although most do state that they are optional. My Great Pyrenees is from a breed that has to have not only dewclaws, but double dewclaws. She is 7 and has never caught them on anything.
    If you do have a dog that has them, just remember to trim them and you should be ok. I have seen dogs whose owners forgot to trim the dewclaws and they grew enough to become embedded in the leg, which of course, is extremely painful.
    I personally like the look of the leg if the dewclaws have been removed but it's still an individual thing.

11. bethann

bethann

That would depend on whether the dewclaws are loose or tight. If loose, then it might be worth it to have them removed because they will be more likely to get ripped off. The tighter they are, the less chance of that happening.
    If your dog rips one and has to be put under to remove it, I'd recommend doing them all at the same time rather than having to do the rest at a later time.

12. Pug Puppy

Pug Puppy

Only if it's medically needed-like an infection.
    If your dog is active alot on a hard surface, then they probably not.

13. Ender

Ender ComfortablyNumb

have to agree.

i've had both my tonsils and adenoids removed, and only wished i'd had them done when i was too young to remember.

my pup has both her dewclaws, but only because she was 9 months old when i got her. if i had gotten her really young (or thought ahead when i had her spayed), i would have had them removed.

buddy of mine has a 6 yr old huskie who just ripped one of hers almost all the way out...very bloody, very painful, and it came out anyways.

for that matter, i don't complain about being circumsized, although that probably hurt like hell for a day or two! ;f

14. FireGuy

FireGuy Into The Breach CLM

Yea, I had mine done early too. Dad said that sixth finger looked funny...;f

15. sixshooterfan

sixshooterfan

My dog has hers still, but they have not been a problem. She's a border collie/springer spaniel mix who stays inside 23 hrs a day and gets an hour of ball-playing at the dog park everyday (mowed grass, big field, not a lot of brush surrounding it).

She was already fixed when I got her, and if I ever have her put under anesthesia for anything I'll probably have her rear dew claws removed. One of them is just hanging by a flap of skin, no bone or cartilege connecting it at all. The other has some bone/cartilege attachment. The front ones seem much more solidly attached and I couldn't imagine those catching on something (but I could easily see the rear ones getting ripped off in underbrush or something) so I'll probably let her keep the front ones.

16. Jeep274

Jeep274 Member When?

;z ;f I agree with Dad! My lab had his removed when he was days old. My neighbor has a Pit/GSD mix puppy about 6 months old now with dew claws and they look very odd to me. Just hanging there waiting for trouble. They don't seem to serve a purpose.

I think a better analogy then appendix and tonsils would be (wince) circumcision!