close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

customized SA Mil-Spec

Discussion in '1911 Forums' started by abraves, Apr 9, 2010.

1. abraves

abraves

Need the opinion of the GT crowd. I am wanting to make some extra money on the side by doing custom work on 1911's or customizing 1911's and selling them. I am in the process of completing one right now. I have done a ton of research and have Jerry K. book and an AGI video. Also there is a wealth of info online from very qualified smiths of several gun boards. My question is should I be able to recoup the money I have in this first gun? Meaning I would be happy to break even. Not counting the tools and stuff I have bought just the gun and parts. Obviously I would like to make a little profit for my time but I am a nobody getting started.

Here is what I have. I took a NIB SA Mil-Spec and tightened the slide to frame fit. Not perfect but much tighter than it was. I also changed all parts to Ed Brown parts with exception of the beaver-tail safety as I used a S&A. The only original items I used are the frame, slide, sights and barrel. I still have to do the blending and then refinish. I am not sure what finish I am going to use but I do know it will be black. I am thinking Gun Kote. I am looking for something I can do myself. I took it out today for the first test after completing all the work and it shot 50 rounds flawlessly.

Any comments would be wonderful and appreciated.

abraves

2. Quack

Quack Rent this space

anything is possible, but as a consumer i'd be weary of going to you. no offense, but most people would go to a skilled smith.
    you also have to think about the liability of your work/service that you are providing.

i do work on my guns and friends, but wouldn't even think about doing it for $

3. MD357

MD357

Personally, I would recommend taking a C&S or Rogers pistolsmithing class. You WILL spend a good amount of money but you will probably learn more than enough to become profitable OVER TIME to say the very least and more importantly, learn from some of the best out there.

If you are not patient and are worried about money, then you might want to reconsider. Pistolsmithing is an art and you've got to love it, to do it.

4. Eyescream

Eyescream hates you

Will you be my friend? :supergrin:

5. Quack

Quack Rent this space

sure, if you're a red head with big ta-ta's :sharon::rofl:

Last edited: Apr 9, 2010
  6. Eyescream

Eyescream hates you

I know a couple. How's that? [​IMG]

7. Quack

Quack Rent this space

works for me :animlol:

8. Eyescream

Eyescream hates you

9. abraves

abraves

I know my first post isn't very clear. I do want to get into pistol smithing for a living. I know any business isn't very profitable if at all at the beginning. I have looked at doing pistol smithing classes for awhile now. The reason for the question on money is I am unemployed at the moment so the time is perfect to buy a gun, mod it, sell it and redo the process. I don't care about making any money just want the learning experience. Being unemployed my resources are limited.

abraves

10. pistolwrench

pistolwrench Dremel jockey

Well........
    My advice:
    Join a local club. IPSC, IDPA or Bullseye.
    Practice hard and do well.
    Show off your gun. Never have a failure.
    Build your own gun. Offer it for sale.
    Continue.
    Oh.......you will need an FFL.
    :cool:

11. HAIL CAESAR

HAIL CAESAR Senior Member

I agree. You will never make money and will assuredly go into the hole with every gun for a Longggggg time.

If you buy a 600 dollar gun and put 300 dollars in parts in it you may get LUCKY and sell it for 800 dollars. So if your LUCKY you will only be out a hundred dollar bill and every bit of your time. And personally I don't think you will even sell it for $800.

The only guys making money are the smiths that offer a high degree of skill and have name recognition to the buyer. That takes years, if not decades, to establish.

You need skills very good skills as a machinist, diagnostician (fancy term for trouble shooter), and nowadays a flair for artistic values.

Oh....And you need a FFL.:cool:

12. Jim S.

Jim S.

You have to understand that most people are wary of custom guns done by an "unknown" gunsmith. Perhaps I should have used "unproven" instead of unknown.
    I have done many projects but they have been on my own guns. I have done some simple things on my friend's gun but no trigger work or anything that would be considered a liability issue.
    I would think that your money and time would eventually make it undesireable to continue because the clients will be far and few between.
    Just an unpleasant truth of the matter.
    Either way I wish you well in your endeaver. And remember that even the biggest name smiths started out in their basement or garage doing what you want to do.

13. abraves

abraves

Can you guys give me a few names of smiths that give classes. C&S next class is in Aug in NE. I would like to get something a little closer to NC. It looks like they do come to VA but that would be next year. Rodgers looks like it was in April and no dates for anymore this year. Vickers class is in May in CA. I know there have got to me more names out there but I can't find any. Help me.

Thanks,
    abraves

14. cha2ga

cha2ga Liberty, SC

Good luck, honestly; but, how would you convince someone to let you work on their weapon?

15. BOGE

BOGE Millennium Member

Sound advice. As they say, just because you own a Steinway doesn´t mean you´re ready for Carnegie Hall. :whistling::supergrin: