close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Customer with CWP shoots robbery suspect at SC Waffle Shop

Discussion in 'Carry Issues' started by RussP, Jan 22, 2012.

1. RussP

RussP Super Moderator Moderator

Customer shoots robbery suspect at SC Waffle Shop

Two guys came in the waffle shop, one armed. One customer, with a SC CWP, drew his weapon, tried to hold the two for police. The armed robber pointed his gun at the customer. Customer fired striking the bad guy in the head and body.

The second robber fled.

Another story reports the Sheriff said he was protecting the man and his family from possible retaliation.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2012
  2. jdavionic

jdavionic NRA Member

Not much detail, nor is it expected to be out there at this point. He attempted to stop them without using his gun, one of the BGs refused, and the BG is now dead with two shots - one to the head and one to the body. Seems like the CCW holder did well to me.

3. steveksux

steveksux Massive Member

So the robber already had his gun in hand, had already drawn, and yet still lost to the CCWer who had him at gunpoint when he tried to shoot his way out?

Come to think of it, who usually wins when the cops have someone at gunpoint that decides to attempt to shoot their way out? I think the cops usually win that one also.

What does that say about a CCWer drawing from concealment and firing against a drawn gun during an armed robbery?

Maybe the action vs reaction isn't the be-all and end-all some make it out to be.
    The lesson I take from this is you better have some sort of distraction to take advantage of if you plan on trying that, or clearly have no other option available.

But good job for the CCWer, from the preliminary results. Hell, sounds like a great job!

Randy

4. Misty02

Misty02

It seems the customer did all the right things. :thumbsup:

Reading another story posted, the criminal was 2 hours into his 19th birthday. A shame that such a young life had to end that way, but if it was to be one filled with crime and harming others, might as well. At least it was not an innocent life that was taken and other innocent lives may have been saved.

5. steveksux

steveksux Massive Member

well, let me be the first to say "Happy Birthday" to him, posthumously.. I hope he enjoyed all the gifts he received that day. Especially the last 2 hollow points.... Shame there wasn't time to gift wrap them. :rofl:

Hate to be so callous, a young man needlessly lost his life, after all. But considering he was responsible for the needlessness of his own loss, nobody else, and given there were no innocent lives lost, there just seems something ironic about the birthday angle.

Absolutely not some sort of snide remark about you, Misty, btw...

Randy

6. Misty02

Misty02

I know! I feel the same way, I just worded it a tad different. :supergrin:

7. porschedog

porschedog

If that happened in South Florida, the local media would have spun it to make the BGs look like lost bible salesmen who were viciously attacked without provocation.

Good going by the CWP in SC. Let's hope the BGs family doesn't try to sue him for lost wages.

8. glockin-45

glockin-45

To each their own, this is some thing any one that carries needs to think about. But lets get real. I have a chp. I'm not a LEO, nor do i think myself to be a hero. If i were in there and it's being robbed and they leave, i'm a witness. If a shot is fired, i'm taking the guy out. this man's life was not threatened. And he's gonna shot a robber.:dunno:

9. BailRecoveryAgent

BailRecoveryAgent Rude Member

:yawn:

I'm convinced there could be a story posted on GT about a ccw holder taking on a band of terrorists wearing bomb vests and carrying suitcase nukes, smoking them all with no innocents injured, and there still would be some that would say "how do we know they would have detonated the bombs, this man's life was not threatened".

10. ATW525

ATW525

I would guess it would depend on whether the robber was expecting the CCWer to be armed and whether they had already resolved themselves to fire at the first sign of trouble.

11. NMG26

NMG26

You never know.

After robbing the place the thugs may have ordered everyone into the freezer. What are you going to do then?

12. glockin-45

glockin-45

That goes with out saying would be the same as the bg starts shooting.
    if there gonna herd you off then your life is in extream danger. And i'd shoot the guy.

13. NMG26

NMG26

That is the point. A thug is actively pushing people around with a gun. His attention is not on you. While his attention is not on you, you have the advantage of drawing and turning the tables.

The armed citizen did just that.

He could have waited until a gun was being pointed at him and his, but it would have drastically reduced his chances of winning.

14. glockurai

glockurai

Really? So you'd give up the element of surprise and wait for the BGs to make the next move? Sir, respectfully, you may want to rethink your tactics.

15. Patchman

Patchman Florist

Seems like the CCWer realized he was in a situation where decisive action was necessary.

The CCWer didn't waffle over whether he should use his gun to only protect himself and his family...

The CCWer didn't waffle over whether he had the necessary self confidence in his skills to act...

The CCWer didn't waffle over whether (all of a sudden) his gun was too small...

The CCWer drew his gun from his pancake holster (an assumption on my part) and acted. Kudos.

16. Misty02

Misty02

How do you know this man’s life wasn’t threatened from such a short story? Have you seen an interview with the shooter? Is it possible that at some point these criminals were waiving their firearm around placing him and others at risk?

17. glockin-45

glockin-45

i'm not giving up the element of surprise in that nobody knows i have a gun. Right! And i'm not going to armchair quarterback when i was'nt there. What i meant was i'm not going to shoot some one that robs a place. Thats what i meant by to each their own. Some would feel that just because they have a gun they should do something. Wrong! i'm not a cop. And each situation is going to be differant. Ican't speak for some one else and say if they feel their or someone elses life is in danger. I can only
    hope that whoever finds themself in this situation uses good judgement
    and has a good outcome. I'll lose no sleep over a low life getting what he deserves though.:yawn:

18. CDR_Glock

CDR_Glock

Kudos to the CCW citizen.

I hope he got a free meal.

Lifetime NRA Member

19. glockin-45

glockin-45

+1:supergrin:

20. wuvmyglock

wuvmyglock

:yawn: One in every crowd.. There are two kinds of people.. Those who WATCH what happens..... Those who PREVENT things from happening... Stand and watch if you want... By the time you figure out what the heck is going on several things can happen.... 1) Victim could be shot... 2) You could be shot.. 3) I can put 3 rounds in the bad guy and prevent 1 and 2... Pretty clear to me..

As Gunney says: "Looks like he picked the wrong diner"