close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Custom vest

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by brokenprism, Aug 18, 2012.

1. brokenprism

brokenprism

I'm posting here to cast the widest possible net. It's Glock related. I swear.

Does anyone know of a source for custom 'tactical' vests? I'd prefer the term survival, but the real goal is just to have things I might need in a readily accessible area -- the chest. All the products I see have massive AR magazine pockets that I don't need. If anything, my logn gun will be a Benelli M2 or a Remington equivalent. Most of these vests have 'holsters' sewn on; that's good. Something to put a G23 in. But beyond that, I'd be looking for 4 to 6 Glock magazine pockets, a pair of Velcro straps for a flashlight, and maybe -- but not necessarily -- straps for a survival knife. I like the idea of having weighty items above the waist, so they're not dragging my pants down or getting in the way of my hands, which are unavoidably swinging around at belt level. Also, depending on the circumstance, I may have my 10 yr old daughter on my back, and she already complains about my IWB G22 chafing her leg when I give her a piggyback in the grocery store.

So. If anyone knows of a store that might be able to customize a standard ballistic nylon vest, or know of more sources than Google will deliver to me, that would be great. Thanks.

2. PettyOfficer

PettyOfficer

Aren't there vests full of Velcro that you can buy the options you want and place them where you want- fully customizable?

3. NMGlock79

NMGlock79

Just get a basic chest rig, then you can attach anything you want anywhere you want.

There are backpacks like this too which make great bug out bags.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

4. NMGlock79

NMGlock79

Maybe Blackhawk or 5.10 tactical, also check out. Cheaper than dirt, they usually have lots of stuff like this.

5. CanMan

CanMan

^ this

Or you might contact www.tactialtailor.com
    They've done custom work in the past...not sure if they still do as ownership has changed.

6. Opie 1 Kenopie

Opie 1 Kenopie Regular Guy

:rofl: I'd look at 5.11 Tactical first. Might be more expensive than 5.10 Tactical:), but it's good kit and will last you a lifetime. I have a 5.11 store nearby that sells the vest for $99 in OD, coyote or black. You buy the base vest (mesh with Molle webbing) and YOU add the pockets/pouches you need. And you got to mount them where you want them to suit your mission.

Blackhawk has the same setups. I have one of their Omega II setups for training. My personal recommendation is to stay away from the cheap stuff that Cheaper Than Dirt sells. You'll see a lot of UTG and Leaper's brand gear but it's cheap Chinese import stuff. Don't want to give them my money and don't want my gear coming unravelled after three months.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2012
  7. NMGlock79

NMGlock79

Hah!!! Thanks for the correction, I have a 5.11 for work, it works really well even when loaded down.

Op, for a situation where you might need to leave your house, I'd suggest a backpack that way you can have water, poncho etc,etc available should you need it. Also, if you really needed to move I think hauling your daughter on your back would make you much less age han just running with her.

8. brokenprism

brokenprism

The daughter thing would be emergency only and unlikely. AT 10, she's old enough to run. If she can't run, I'll do what I can.

Wow, lots of good info. I'll go check it out. I found a place out of LA that would make a custom vest, but he said to be ready to pay $300. That can't be right. It's just fabric.

I like the idea of a modular setup. I have the vest in mind at all (being honest here) for the day things go really bad. I want everything I need for our defense to be up high where I can protect it, and to have it all within easy reach. I guess for the same reasons cops wear vests.

Thanks for the leads.

9. brokenprism

brokenprism

OK, somebody explain the 'molle' thing to me. Is it the garment equivalent of the accessory rail on a rifle?

10. boomhower

boomhower

Pretty much. Think of it as fancy velcro, pretty much the same thing.

11. gunowner1

gunowner1

Tactical Tailor Mini Mav or Blue Force Gear Ten Speed are good.Or Eagle Industries Molle LE Chest Rig. All can be set up the way you want by adding pouches.

12. PPinesRon

PPinesRon

13. ak103k

ak103k

This is a basic molle vest. If you move your cursor over it, you can see the "loops" sewn to it.

http://www.opsgear.com/index/page/product/product_id/1806/product_name/MOLLE+Chest+Rig

Here is a holster (can also be a radio pouch, or extra mag pouch) that will attach to the above vest. If you look at the additional pic, you can see the back of the holster, and the straps that thread though the loops on the vest to secure it to it. The other pouches are all set up the same.

http://www.opsgear.com/index/page/product/product_id/987/product_name/MOLLE+Holster

Single, double, and triple mag pouches....

http://www.opsgear.com/index/page/product/product_id/1567/product_name/MOLLE+Single+Pistol+Mag+Pouch

http://www.opsgear.com/index/page/p...name/MOLLE+Double+Pistol+Mag+Pouch+-+Multicam

http://www.opsgear.com/index/page/product/product_id/1587/product_name/MOLLE+Triple+Pistol+Mag+Pouch

I have a number off all of the above, as well as some others, except for the vest (I use a different type/maker). A lot of people dont seem to like Condor, but I havent had any troubles with any of their stuff.

The single mag pouch, besides working well for its intended use, works well for the flashlights I use as well.

The holster works as advertised as well.

14. SJ 40

SJ 40 Deplorable,Clinger

Here is a explanation of MOLLE.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MOLLE SJ 40

15. carloglock19

carloglock19

I typed in tactical baby holder and I got the picture below. Not Glock related (a couple of Glock stickers could change that) but I'm thinking a running stroller type deal might actually be better but that's just my opinion!

[​IMG]

16. brokenprism

brokenprism

This forum is awesome! I got mostly silence over at S&W when I was in my N frame phase. My experience here is that I get generous, patient, informative, mature and helpful advice and replies.

To the guy who provided the collection of links: thanks dude. That gives me everything I need -- this won't cost $300 after all. To the guy with the tactical toddler system, that picture made my day.

17. PettyOfficer

PettyOfficer

Stay out of the politics and religion sub-forums and this experience will remain untainted.

18. SJ 40

SJ 40 Deplorable,Clinger

This one is laid out better,anything breaks I mean anything they replace it no questions asked.
    They are the Dillon of gun carts.
    Its available in Glock Black and Silver and a slew of other colors and trim.

http://www.ruggedgear.com/index.cfm...tegory_id=180/home_id=-1/mode=prod/prd337.htm

http://www.ruggedgear.com/index.cfm...ategory_ID=198/home_id=76/mode=cat/cat198.htm SJ 40